PDA

View Full Version : car wont start, need some help here... electricians.

FusionR240sx
01-05-2008, 05:40 AM
car wont start.
turn key.
cranks and wants to start but i can *hear a clicking from the fuse box by the clutch pedal area.... ?*

I NEED TO CHECK MY COILPACKS.
HOW?

fuel pump is pumping fuel.
so that means the ecu "works"

Leo'S13
01-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I have the same problem too.:wtc:

And if I don't start the car for one week the battery will drane.:fawk2:

blueshark123
01-05-2008, 08:30 AM
car wont start.
turn key.
cranks and wants to start but i can *hear a clicking from the fuse box by the clutch pedal area.... ?*

is it something with the alarm?
i took the alarm fuse out and it did the same thing.

to cold to even go outside and worry about it.
just wanted some info to get together and a kinda check list so i can go down the list while i'm out there.

Its most likely a blown fuse if there is a clicking noisein the fuse box. Which one i dont know

jkjunior
01-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Same problem happened to me, Had a bad battery that wasnt holding a good charge. Also check ur terminal connections

FusionR240sx
01-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I have the same problem too.:wtc:

And if I don't start the car for one week the battery will drane.:fawk2:

really? i better go dissconnect it now then. faaack

Its most likely a blown fuse if there is a clicking noisein the fuse box. Which one i dont know

yea... i replaced one under the hood. but i didn't kno what the clicking was.

is it the alarm maybe?

Same problem happened to me, Had a bad battery that wasnt holding a good charge. Also check ur terminal connections

the battery terminal connections?
it's a brand new battery.

blueshark123
01-05-2008, 02:28 PM
leo 's13 seems like u have a parasitic drain
but for the op do u still here the clicking after what u did.
I had a problem with my car that was draining its power because of a loose connection were theres a red clip that goes in to the battery + loop check to see if thats loose.

blueshark123
01-05-2008, 02:29 PM
also check to see if ur fuel pump is gettin fuel u can hear it when u have the key on the on positon that maybe the fuse u blew

jkjunior
01-06-2008, 12:50 PM
ya make sure u got all ur grounds hooked up, and ur battery terminal connections are tight and non corresive. let us know

FusionR240sx
01-06-2008, 02:11 PM
also check to see if ur fuel pump is gettin fuel u can hear it when u have the key on the on positon that maybe the fuse u blew

thanks!, will doo.

ya make sure u got all ur grounds hooked up, and ur battery terminal connections are tight and non corresive. let us know

i'll check that. thanks guys a lot..

also....
after i got my car back from getting the new sr in it all this just happened.

and... i was thinking it was with the alarm because the brake pedal wont go down at all. it's basically stuck in the position as if you were to lock your steering wheel when u park your car and u gotta push the breaks to get the steering wheel unlocked. but the steering wheel isn't ever locking.

also... the key release thing. idk what it's called at all. but it's by the shifter. it's like a linkage. the key wouldn't come out then i saw it and pulled it and the key came out. and when it's pushed in the key is stuck in the ignition or vise versa. fergot which way it was.

blackmagic240
01-06-2008, 03:24 PM
im having kinda the same problem as this what fuses do i need to check? all my fuses in my fuse box under the dash are fine though how about relays are there any that would not let the car start?

FusionR240sx
01-09-2008, 04:51 AM
anyone else...

g6civcx
01-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Was the car previously auto?

FusionR240sx
01-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Was the car previously auto?

yea it was. i shoulda said that in the beginning...

FusionR240sx
01-14-2008, 03:58 AM
i havn't checked the grounds yet. but i took pics before u guys told me to do that and just decided to upload them now.

where does this go...?
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/FusionR300zx/240sx/DSC02188.jpg

and does anyone else have any other suggestions besides checking the grounds and the battery connections?

i mean the lights work inside and out.
the car just wont start....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/FusionR300zx/240sx/DSC02184.jpg

zaneithan
01-14-2008, 08:22 AM
stupid suggestion lol but you said that you just had an sr installed in it right? did you check to see if the little prong came off of your starter, i know when it falls off of my car it makes a clicking sound and wont turn over

g6civcx
01-14-2008, 11:23 AM
If it's cranking, you need to check fuel, spark, and timing.

The easiest thing would be to check fuel pressure and spark. If you have both then go on from there.

Is your starter turning the flywheel?

FusionR240sx
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
didn't do any of the above yet... too cold.
just wondering if anyone knows where that thing goes in the first pic...?

FusionR240sx
01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
didn't do any of the above yet... too cold.
just wondering if anyone knows where that thing goes in the first pic...?

anyone...?^^

s13monkey
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
check you fuel pump when you turn the key from off to acc the lights work after checking that its not a battery connection problem check to see if you hear a very low sound coming from you gas tank it easier to have a friend turn the key to acc will your in the trunk hear for this noise if you dont hear a hise noise it you fuel pump if you do hear a noise cneck you fuel filter you can to this by disconnecting the main fuel line that gose to you SR use a soda can or bottle or some this to catch the fuel that would be coming out from the fuel line have a friend turn the key while your outside in front of you car to see if fuel comes out from the line if these no fuel coming out its your filter. some time filters get pluged by some thing that might have fill in the fuel tank. also check you fuse in you main fuse box if it not a factor or factor replacement it will kill you battery and the car won't start. also if you did the swap your self and you didn't change the fuel pump for a SR fuel pump thats you problem. hope this helps in some way.

FusionR240sx
01-22-2008, 03:10 AM
check you fuel pump when you turn the key from off to acc the lights work after checking that its not a battery connection problem check to see if you hear a very low sound coming from you gas tank it easier to have a friend turn the key to acc will your in the trunk hear for this noise if you dont hear a hise noise it you fuel pump if you do hear a noise cneck you fuel filter you can to this by disconnecting the main fuel line that gose to you SR use a soda can or bottle or some this to catch the fuel that would be coming out from the fuel line have a friend turn the key while your outside in front of you car to see if fuel comes out from the line if these no fuel coming out its your filter. some time filters get pluged by some thing that might have fill in the fuel tank. also check you fuse in you main fuse box if it not a factor or factor replacement it will kill you battery and the car won't start. also if you did the swap your self and you didn't change the fuel pump for a SR fuel pump thats you problem. hope this helps in some way.

thanks man. that's a lot of help!
got any clue where that "switch" goes in the pic of the shifter?

it like locks the key in but i don't know where it connects to so that it engages and stuff on it's own.

+rep to all who help

the help is much needed.!

cronux
01-22-2008, 08:00 AM
that is the automatic shifter key release. it basically can be pushed forward and forgotten. (it keeps the key in the ignition when an automatic is anywhere except park, but you dont have auto do you?) so simply push it up, to emulate park, and forget it.

S14DB
01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Take the 4 screws out from below the steering colum and pop the top off and the key cover off. You should see were the cable goes into the ignition switch. pull the retaining clip and then you can remove the cable and throw it in the trash. No more stuck key.

Does the car crank?
Do you hear fuel pump priming for 1 sec in the on position?
Check engine light come on when put in in the on position?

deesz
01-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Maybe who ever did the auto to manual swap didn't do it right and the car dosnt see that its in park there for not allowing it to sart???????
Maybe????
Just a guess????

FusionR240sx
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
that is the automatic shifter key release. it basically can be pushed forward and forgotten. (it keeps the key in the ignition when an automatic is anywhere except park, but you dont have auto do you?) so simply push it up, to emulate park, and forget it.

alright thanks!
gona take it totally out actually like s14db said.
but the info was great. didn't kno if it had to stay in.
if i take that out, will i have to use the clutch to start the car for now on?
because i never had to push the clutch pedal down to start the car.

Take the 4 screws out from below the steering colum and pop the top off and the key cover off. You should see were the cable goes into the ignition switch. pull the retaining clip and then you can remove the cable and throw it in the trash. No more stuck key.

Does the car crank?
Do you hear fuel pump priming for 1 sec in the on position?
Check engine light come on when put in in the on position?

yes the car cranks
didnt' listen for it (fuel pump). haven't done anything with the car in about 2 weeks.
maybe when it hits 40 i'll go out and try stuff and listen for it.
thanks!

Maybe who ever did the auto to manual swap didn't do it right and the car dosnt see that its in park there for not allowing it to sart???????
Maybe????
Just a guess????

no that's not the problem.

thanks tho!

dockdriver939
01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
How cold was it because i let my sr sit outside for about 6 maybe 7 hours in single digit temps the other day, and it wouldnt start after that. I just put it in the garage and cleaned the plugs the next day and she fired right up. Is this a problem with the sr i have never read anything about this before?

cronux
01-22-2008, 11:15 PM
the car will still start without your pedal depressed. that has nothing to do with the key release, but moreso with a park/neutral safety switch from the automatic transmission that was jumped when the auto/manual swap was done. that wire/rod is simply for key release.

on your start issues, make sure you are getting fuel/spark. if you are missing one, find cause. spark can be any number of things, from bad spark plugs, to bad coilpacks, all the way to fuses, so check from the spark plugs and work your way back.

FusionR240sx
06-21-2008, 01:22 PM
How cold was it because i let my sr sit outside for about 6 maybe 7 hours in single digit temps the other day, and it wouldnt start after that. I just put it in the garage and cleaned the plugs the next day and she fired right up. Is this a problem with the sr i have never read anything about this before?

not my problem. thanks tho +

the car will still start without your pedal depressed. that has nothing to do with the key release, but moreso with a park/neutral safety switch from the automatic transmission that was jumped when the auto/manual swap was done. that wire/rod is simply for key release.

on your start issues, make sure you are getting fuel/spark. if you are missing one, find cause. spark can be any number of things, from bad spark plugs, to bad coilpacks, all the way to fuses, so check from the spark plugs and work your way back.

i'm beginning to think my coilpacks are bad? but how?
how can they go from good to bad within one day?

there are new spark plugs in.
i'm not getting any spark at all.

how do i check the coilpacks to see if they're sending/getting power?

i was told to use a voltmeter.

but how do you use a voltmeter with that? just touch the coilpack wire? or what?:duh:

sorry

thanks for the help tho so far everyone!

the battery is fully charged. the car really sounds like it wants to start. if i could only get spark i'm pretty sure it will start up.
guhh

FusionR240sx
06-22-2008, 01:16 PM
help meee outttttt

wangan_cruiser
06-22-2008, 01:36 PM
errr i have a same problem. i hear clicking noise when i turn my key. what i the switch works i have power on the line but when i do a direct line to the starter the motor works. LOL ill check it when i get home.

btw does your car crank over? or just a click?

FusionR240sx
06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
errr i have a same problem. i hear clicking noise when i turn my key. what i the switch works i have power on the line but when i do a direct line to the starter the motor works. LOL ill check it when i get home.

btw does your car crank over? or just a click?
yea it cranks.
strong too..
guhh