PDA

View Full Version : Help with gear grinding please

iv196
12-29-2007, 12:38 PM
My SR20DET is one week old in my S13 and now when i pull off in 1st and shift to 2nd the gear grinds. I pumped the clutch thinking it was loosing pressure but it doesn't help. The only way it doesn't grind is when I shift really really slow into 2nd. What can I do? Is there a fluid I can put somewhere or what other options do I have? I'm sort of new to the whole SR so I have no idea. Please PM me with your help. Thanks Everyone

frosty_the_iceman
12-29-2007, 01:07 PM
The grinding could indicate a synchro problem, but I'd suggest bleeding your clutch first.

The same problem sometimes crops up on my KA (KA's and SR's have a very similar transmission, just different mounting points on the bellhousing). The gears grind because the clutch isn't completely disengaging.

I always find that the clutch fluid is a bit contaminated (it will look green-ish, indicating water in the line) and when I bleed it air comes out of the line. After bleeding until the fluid is clear and there's no bubbles 1st -> 2nd goes a whole lot smoother.

I'm posting instead of PM'ing so other people with the same question will find this thread when they search :bow:

Hope this helps and good luck.

iv196
12-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the help and ill try it.

TheBigDirty
12-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah my ka has the same problem, bleed the clutch. Also sometimes if you pull back on the clutch pedal with your toe while you're driving. It gives the pedal more leverage so it disengages better temporarily.
Hope this helps.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Bleed the clutch...Make sure u are running good tranny oil. My tranny had crap oil and it grinded first and second. I changed the oil and it fixed everything. Your syncro's Might be damaged also. Which will lead to a rebuild. I went through the same thing with my sr tranny.

SexPanda
12-29-2007, 05:54 PM
synchros. but yeah bleed your clutch fluid. My car did the same thing, til i bled the clutch. Not its fine...

!Zar!
12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Try changing your slave cylinder and remove the clutch dampener.

fliprayzin240sx
12-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah my ka has the same problem, bleed the clutch. Also sometimes if you pull back on the clutch pedal with your toe while you're driving. It gives the pedal more leverage so it disengages better temporarily.
Hope this helps.

You need to adjust your pedal and maybe replace the spring.