PDA

View Full Version : PFC D-Jetro Intake Air Temp. Sensor Question

jspaeth
12-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey all...my PFC D-Jetro just came in, and I am psyched to hook it up, but I have a question regarding the IAT sensor.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to mount the sensor, OTHER THAN taking off the manifold?

Ideally, it is supposed to be mounted on the intake manifold, which I believe involves drilling and tapping a hole for the sensor to thread into.

I am concerned that doing this with the manifold on will get debris into the manifold/cylinders....

My other idea was to start drilling the hole to get the shape correct, without breaking all the way through the metal, and to do the rest with a dremmel tool with a vacuum hose near by to pick up the dust....my logic here is that the very fine dust produced by the dremmel tool on the metal wouldn't be very harmful if a tiny bit of it got inside the manifold/cylinders (??? dunno if this is that true or not)

Any help would be appreciated...thanks

PhilthyS13
12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I've seen people drill and tap the cold pipe instead of the manifold. I dunno if that is good or bad.

jspaeth
12-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the idea....I was considering doing that as well, as the temperature there, near the throttle body should be essentially the same as that in the IM

Only problem there is that the surface to be drilled through is curved, and I'm not sure how good of a grab on the threads I could get, given the thinness of the steel....

Dousan_PG
12-27-2007, 10:00 PM
take off the mani
its stupid easy!
if ucant pull off the mani giving thosestupid reasons, you shouldnt be working on cars

jspaeth
12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Didn't say it wasn't easy, just was trying to avoid any unnecessary work.

Based on the FSM, it looks like I am just gonna pull off the upper half of the IM, and then drill a hole into one of the runners...

Any advice on placement anyone??....will the tiny little sensor sticking out in one of the runners fuck up airflow significantly??

...or would it be better to have it sticking out in the bulk collection area up top, before the air splits into the runners???

tt99ol
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
before the runners is preferred but on the coldpipe is alright too, a stock rb26 iat is before the tb's

jspaeth
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Alright, I am probably going to go on the plenum part of the IM then, since I can easily detach this from the bottom part, and probably can find a flatter surface somewhere on there.

Thanks all

sr20boostn20
12-27-2007, 10:31 PM
My sensor is in my intake pipe before the turbo.

I have never had any problems.

And its a big hp set up.

jspaeth
12-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Interesting.....

Did you get the sensor to tap okay into that piping....?....did you just drill it out and then buy a tap?..I was worried maybe IC piping isn't thick enough to hold the threads nicely

BTW I think the thread is M10 1.25 for the IAT sensor (Mazda FD sensor), if someone could confirm that it would be beautiful