PDA

View Full Version : Pop-Up Headlights

ESmorz
12-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Now before you all say SEARCH!!!

I did, I went through about 20 threads pertaining to pop-up headlights and either was a different problem or gave no answer what so ever.

Anywho, the lights (bulbs) work fine. However, when I turn the headlights on the driver side will pop up and the passenger side will pop up halfway, then down, then halfway up again. Then, I will turn the lights off and the passenger side will go down, but the drivers side stays up.

Any suggestions?

posmotors
12-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Headlight motor maybe?

ESmorz
12-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Headlight motor maybe?

That was my first guess, but going through all the other threads it's usually a fuse, since the motors work just not how they should.

Vernal
12-25-2007, 11:33 PM
yea maybe a fuse or relay or something. Mine went halfway up cuz the owner before me tried to make wide fenders by pulling them and it bucked the cross bracket and didnt allow it to go up all the way. I am sure thats not in your case though, but checking to see if it hits anything would be a good idea just in case.

hijack3d
12-25-2007, 11:37 PM
What have you done to try to fix this yourself before you put a thread up about it? Writing a thread about a problem I have is usually one of my my last resorts.

I'm not being a dick, I just don't want to be redundant.

Mister.E
12-26-2007, 12:02 AM
you are lucky yours move, mine are stuck in the up position and wont even go down. im hoping its just the damn relay but i cant find anyone around these parts that actually has a working relay. i hate popups.

ESmorz
12-26-2007, 02:28 AM
What have you done to try to fix this yourself before you put a thread up about it? Writing a thread about a problem I have is usually one of my my last resorts.

I'm not being a dick, I just don't want to be redundant.

I understand where you're coming from, I fiddled with them for awhile and had them move while I was watching them, and the motors seem to work fine.

There is nothing in the way.

I don't know much about wiring so I figured on that front I could use some help.

NorCalEvo
12-26-2007, 06:08 AM
got a question for ya. do you have a sleepy eye mod? or are you still just factory set? there are some things that could be going on if you have a sleepy eye mod. Either way pm me and i will see if i can help you out.

Matej
12-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Does your wheel rub on the fender harness?

yokotavia
12-26-2007, 06:56 AM
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=140879

check that thread out.

and also, not quite sure if the s chassis have them but, on my old supra, there was a little black box called the "retractor control" that was bad and caused the same problem with the lights.

but just read that thread if your confused about relays.

ESmorz
12-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks yoko, I'll read through that although the pictures don't really work.

ALSO... the guy I bought it from, when he was in high school, put one strip of under body lighting on it, it doesn't work anymore...thank god...

Anyway that could be affecting the headlights?

fueled by hate
12-27-2007, 02:16 AM
take off your front bumper and make sure nothing is in the way. If all is good then go to the junkyard and try getting a new headlight motor.

Nachtmensch
12-27-2007, 02:33 AM
check relays. ive seen them go bad and do something similar.

Mister.E
12-27-2007, 02:36 AM
is there a way to test the relays without swapping relays with someone that has working pop-ups?

bo2o
12-27-2007, 03:50 AM
how hard is it to find new motors for your headlights?
theres tons of them in the junkyard.

if ne thing juss swap for a silvia front. haha

ESmorz
12-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah I plan on going silvia front end sometime in the near future however until then... I have to figure this out.

I would assume it's the relays since I doubt both motors would hit the fritz at the exact same time... I also know jack diddily about electronics though so I don't know the first thing about fixing them.

Bobafreak
12-27-2007, 05:20 PM
i still have my motors and headlights! :)

ESmorz
12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Well I want to check the relays and wiring first.

Don't want to jump to conclusions, because it could be either one.

ESmorz
12-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Should I go to a junk yard and get some fuses, and start swapping them to see if that's the problem?

roboticnissan
12-28-2007, 02:05 PM
there is a wire its usually brown that ppl cut to make "sleepy Eyes" check your broken headlight wires and see if any were cut or pinched

ESmorz
01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Bump...

because not being able to drive at night blows.

Rayne
01-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Well I want to check the relays and wiring first.

Don't want to jump to conclusions, because it could be either one.

Check your relay, if your fuses are fine. If the relay is fine your wiring may be the culprit. My guess, is your relay may be on its way out. If I recall correctly the headlight relay is in the engine compartment fusebox on the passenger side of the vehicle near the battery.

ESmorz
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Well today I just unplugged the motors.

However, for about a week now (before I unplugged them) the car has been having issues starting.

It feels like it has a loose ignition, however I try to start it and everything electrical works just the car wont even start to turn over, but sometimes it does start... odd.

Any ideas?

usdm180sx
01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=170679

waynehead05
01-09-2008, 09:29 PM
i've had the worst luck with the pop ups in the past and it was always the relays. i'd swap them all out for know good ones. i bet you it's not the motors. it almost never is.

KA-T_240
01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
sounds like your car has some wiring problems. Is your car lowered, swapped, or been wrecked? Can you see someone hacked wiring in the engine bay or under the dash?

A fuse really shouldn't cause that problem. They either work or they don't.

ESmorz
01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
sounds like your car has some wiring problems. Is your car lowered, swapped, or been wrecked? Can you see someone hacked wiring in the engine bay or under the dash?

A fuse really shouldn't cause that problem. They either work or they don't.

It's lowered, but I checked to see if it was rubbing any wires. As for hacked wiring there was under-body lighting that looked like it was wired by a blind 4 year old but I took all of that out.

As for the lights... I don't really care anymore, I just unplugged the motors and am leaving them up till I get a Silvia front end in about a month or two.

Now I'm more concerned about the starting issue.

KA-T_240
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Stary by checking out the basic maintance stuff on our cars. What motor, how many miles...... What are the symptoms and all that.

ESmorz
01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
sorry for the double post

ESmorz
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Stary by checking out the basic maintance stuff on our cars. What motor, how many miles...... What are the symptoms and all that.

Just replaced Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, and Cat Converter (smog reasons).

It's a KA24DE with 130,000 miles (original motor).

The ignition feels a little loose, and when I try to start the car.

All of the electronics light up and everything is jim dandy however the car makes no attempt to turn over just a faint click.

Then, after awhile it will usually start up.

blaaaaah

KA-T_240
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
How is your battery and starter? Plugs/wires/cap&rotors

ESmorz
01-10-2008, 12:06 AM
How is your battery and starter? Plugs/wires/cap&rotors

The starter is probably on its way out. I'll check the battery and and do another wire check when I get home tomorrow.

I would think it's something to do with the starter since it never gets past that point. The engine never even gets to try and turn over.