PDA

View Full Version : putting a fuel cell in a hatchback. Rear fire wall ?

noname7198
12-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I want to put a fuel cell in my 240 track car. Some racing series require that you have a rear fire wall to protect the driver if you have a fuel cell in the car. How do you do that in a hatchback? We've put a fuel cell in a coupe, but the trunk can easily be closed off from the drivers compartment. How do you seal off the fuel cell in a hatch while keeping the hatch functional (being able to open it)?

Vision Garage
12-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Take out the rear seats and weld in a wall.

noname7198
12-24-2007, 07:44 PM
there's still going to be a small gap between the wall and the hatch glass though.

Addicted2Kouki
12-25-2007, 02:58 AM
encase the fuel cell in box kinda thing?

stinky_180
12-25-2007, 01:30 PM
encase the fuel cell in box kinda thing?

if the fuel cell is located within the cabin, a firewall is required.

johngriff
12-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Or mount it where the old tank was, and put a skid plate under it...

spinitsidewayz
12-25-2007, 02:31 PM
I remember reading something about a bbq grill style cover thing searching up fuel cells on this forum. I don't know if that would cut it for you. Try searching up the Gutted interior thread. Someone had some nice setup where the fuel cell was recessed into the trunk where the spare should be.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=137749

Check out page 4.

racepar1
12-25-2007, 06:13 PM
If you were to mount it IN the trunk you would have to build a wall that goes where the rear seat is and a wall that goes where the privacy cover would normally go. Bottom line is you should mount it under the car where the stock fuel tank would go. If it is caged (and I mean a real cage not some pre-made crap that you bolt or weld in) I would cut out the trunk pan, build some brackets to mount it in the factory location, build a skid plate of some sort to protect it from road debris (probably just out of thinwall aluminum), and rivet in a thinwall aluminum panel over where the trunk pan was.

Addicted2Kouki
12-25-2007, 06:22 PM
If you were to mount it IN the trunk you would have to build a wall that goes where the rear seat is and a wall that goes where the privacy cover would normally go. Bottom line is you should mount it under the car where the stock fuel tank would go. If it is caged (and I mean a real cage not some pre-made crap that you bolt or weld in) I would cut out the trunk pan, build some brackets to mount it in the factory location, build a skid plate of some sort to protect it from road debris (probably just out of thinwall aluminum), and rivet in a thinwall aluminum panel over where the trunk pan was.

thats what i meant. i only said it without the details lol.

stinky_180
12-25-2007, 06:23 PM
If you were to mount it IN the trunk you would have to build a wall that goes where the rear seat is and a wall that goes where the privacy cover would normally go.

bingo :bigok: ........................

IIIXziuR
12-25-2007, 06:29 PM
A member on Ziptied fabricated a rear "firewall" on his track car when he installed his fuel cell. I thought it came out really cool looking.

I probably do something similar to what he did, a sheet metal enclosure he I belived riveted together and it cover the entire fuel cell/pump area.

jskateborders
12-25-2007, 06:30 PM
and add latches so that the wall where the hatch is would be un-latchable in order to maintain usable trunk space...

stinky_180
12-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I belived riveted together and it cover the entire fuel cell/pump area.

it must be a pain in the ass to replace a fuel pump, when it needs to be replaced that is

and add latches so that the wall where the hatch is would be un-latchable in order to maintain usable trunk space...

imo, if the car has a fuel cell inside the trunk... you generally dont daily drive the car... atleast i wouldnt

noname7198
12-26-2007, 03:20 PM
thats basically what I was thinking. Does anyone have any pictures of an scca legal fuel cell in a hatch? Ive been searching but I havnt found any.

murda-c
12-26-2007, 03:27 PM
you should totally turn it into a Pickup. and build a firewall behind the driver seats.

it'll be lighter without the hatch glass too.

gotta240
12-26-2007, 04:00 PM
why a fuel cell? The tanks arent THAT heavy...

superbovine
12-26-2007, 04:41 PM

I have never seen a racing fuel cell on a 240sx. However, I have seen quite a few on other cars. Usually, inside they have a mesh or foam type substance to hold the fuel to minimize sloshing and help prevent fuel starvation. Also, most racing fuel cells have some type a barrier to prevent fuel from leaking out if a puncture occurs. I have also seen a racing fuel cell that would cut off the fuel line if it was turned upside down.

gotta240
12-26-2007, 05:10 PM
great answer. Thanks

g6civcx
12-26-2007, 11:24 PM

I have an ATL 10-gallon aluminium cell. I wanted more safety than the stock fuel tank could offer.

Plus my stock tank was slowly rusting and I didn't want to invest the money/time/effor to redo it completely. It was actually cheaper just to get a cell than to buy a new tank.