PDA

View Full Version : Suspension experts look here a ? !!!!!!

k's_silvia2.0
12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Ok well im getting some new coilovers and I can oped-out for a custom spring rate.My ? is what would you guys recommend?.Im not asking you to tell me what I should do,I just need some input from those who have experience and knowledge in suspension.I think they come with F 7kg/R 5kg?
Im not sure though im going to call and ask tomorrow.Or if anyone here knows what Ksport come with stock.I see alot of coilovers come with F 8kg/R 6kg.So im thinking thats the way to go.So all i need is to be pointed in the direction of a good spring rate..Dont start with the "Oh Ksport sucks" and "Get anything else but Ksport" hey for the price im getting its basically a trial for me.If I dont like em you can buy em off me.Any help is good help.

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
do 10/8. why ? why not ? lol. i dunno, never rode on em. i wanna go custom to but my ride is harsh enough but the rears i think can be stiffer.

hijack3d
12-21-2007, 08:48 PM
There's a lot of things to consider. What kind of driving do you usually do? I'm favoring road race for my S14, which theorists say softer springs (like close to stock soft...) and stiffer sways (stiffer in the front, softer in the rear) is a good start for that kind of driving.

Has section "what is spring rate and what should you know about it? (http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/skidmarks4b.htm)/what is the correct spring rate for my car." But the article is pretty biased for road racing also :P Wanting you to get the most tire/road contact as possible...

Here's a download (http://annielittman.com/SCC%20suspension.rtf) to Sport Compact Car's 1g set up for their S13...

Hope that helps a little!

PoorMans180SX
12-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I would stick with 8/6, I think it's a nice compromise.

I've ridden and drove my friends S14 with Stances 8/6, and it was pretty smooth and nice.

You must be getting those for cheap

k's_silvia2.0
12-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I would stick with 8/6, I think it's a nice compromise.

I've ridden and drove my friends S14 with Stances 8/6, and it was pretty smooth and nice.

You must be getting those for cheap

How cheap do you think?

PoorMans180SX
12-21-2007, 09:18 PM
$800? I hope it's not more than that.

gotta240
12-21-2007, 09:22 PM
800. lol better not be. I'd rather get a used set of good coils for 8.

If you got them for 500, i guess its justifiable(cant spell for chit)

Depends on the setup you have already and what driving you will be doing. What sways are you running?

k's_silvia2.0
12-21-2007, 09:34 PM
$800? I hope it's not more than that.
C'mon cheaper than that way cheaper.
800. lol better not be. I'd rather get a used set of good coils for 8.

If you got them for 500, i guess its justifiable(cant spell for chit)

Depends on the setup you have already and what driving you will be doing. What sways are you running?

No sways yet.I will have some when I install coils.Its my daily which I also give hell daily.

4thHorse
12-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Check this tread out it's a very good read. I might go for this setup.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=161773&highlight=koni

Right now I'm running KTS coilovers with 8/6 springs. I can't compare to other setups, but very nice on smooth roads. I'm also looking into maybe getting some swift in a 6/4 or 5/4 spring rate.

ZX88
12-21-2007, 09:59 PM
i also say 8/6 if you daily it as well.

yudalicious
12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
7/5 is fine, 8/6 is fine, wouldn't want to go any higher, unless you like skipping and skittering.

k's_silvia2.0
12-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Check this tread out it's a very good read. I might go for this setup.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=161773&highlight=koni

Right now I'm running KTS coilovers with 8/6 springs. I can't compare to other setups, but very nice on smooth roads. I'm also looking into maybe getting some swift in a 6/4 or 5/4 spring rate.
Nah its cool.Thanks anyway.
7/5 is fine, 8/6 is fine, wouldn't want to go any higher, unless you like skipping and skittering.

Im not completely sure but I think theyre 7/5.Ill know for sure tommorow.
I think imma ask for 8/6 though.

Koopa Troopa
12-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Well what kinda driving are you doing with this car, what's your other suspension mods, what tires are you using? We can't really help you till we get more info.. As far as spring rates... It all depends on the valving. My friend has 22/18 on his DC2 but they're valved for those springs so it doesn't even feel like it. The suspension feels softer than alot of the crappy ass budget, drift based suspension.

k's_silvia2.0
12-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Well what kinda driving are you doing with this car, what's your other suspension mods, what tires are you using? We can't really help you till we get more info.. As far as spring rates... It all depends on the valving. My friend has 22/18 on his DC2 but they're valved for those springs so it doesn't even feel like it. The suspension feels softer than alot of the crappy ass budget, drift based suspension.

Well as far as other suspension components I have:
Kazama TC rods
Nismo powerbrace
F&R tower bars
And I will be installing some new sways when I install the coils.

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
the ksports are 7/5

gotta240
12-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I ran k sports before. They felt OK with the stock springs. Deff wouldn't go stiffer though. They bounced enough with whatever rates they came with...

ESPECIALLY for the streets.

racepar1
12-21-2007, 11:48 PM
If this helps at all I recently attended a track event at the streets of willow with my fastback on tein flex (7/7 springs), godspeed swaybars (30mil hollow fr/ 28 mil hollow rear), I also have energy bushings, tein tension rods, rucas, and toe arms. To me it felt like the car needed softer rear springs, but my rear sway is pretty stiff. I think you should just start with the stock springs and go from there. Take notes at every track event and make adjustments throughout the day. Document it all and analyze the data when you get home. The truth is that, no matter what anyone tells you, YOU have to figure out what suspension settings match YOUR driving style. What works for one driver does not work for all drivers.

k's_silvia2.0
12-21-2007, 11:51 PM
If this helps at all I recently attended a track event at the streets of willow with my fastback on tein flex (7/7 springs), godspeed swaybars (30mil hollow fr/ 28 mil hollow rear), I also have energy bushings, tein tension rods, rucas, and toe arms. To me it felt like the car needed softer rear springs, but my rear sway is pretty stiff. I think you should just start with the stock springs and go from there. Take notes at every track event and make adjustments throughout the day. Document it all and analyze the data when you get home. The truth is that, no matter what anyone tells you, YOU have to figure out what suspension settings match YOUR driving style. What works for one driver does not work for all drivers.

Thanks you sir:bow:

MrChow
12-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Trial and error. Try out the coils with the stock springs then start playing with the preload and strut settings. Get arms so you can get a good alignment. I have a 8/7 setup I have 9/7 spring that I haven't played with. But DD my car all the time. My coils take bumps like champ.
Remember "tuning" we're tuners... so what do we do? Tune stuff. Honestly I think you should get the coils and play with them. You'll learn a ton of stuff.

k's_silvia2.0
12-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Trial and error. Try out the coils with the stock springs then start playing with the preload and strut settings. Get arms so you can get a good alignment. I have a 8/7 setup I have 9/7 spring that I haven't played with. But DD my car all the time. My coils take bumps like champ.
Remember "tuning" we're tuners... so what do we do? Tune stuff. Honestly I think you should get the coils and play with them. You'll learn a ton of stuff.

Which I plan to do.I just wanna start with a good spring rate thats all.
Thanks for a the responses.Thanks:D

S14DB
12-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Still haven't told us what you do with the car. How stiff you go depends on what you do with the car.

EJ253
12-22-2007, 12:59 AM
i got my first set of coilovers (ksports) pretty much new, for 350

spring rates really depend on the valving.
stance told me not to put on 14kg springs on my coilovers because they werent valved for it
originally they can with 8kg/6kg and now im using 9kg/8kg but i might upgrade to 12kg/10kg

usdm180sx
12-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Shock valving has a lot more to do with ride quality than spring rates. The spring rates on my kei office on my s14 were 9/8 but because of the awesome valving the ride was very comfortable. For example, a car with 9/8 springs on some dg5 coilovers will ride waaaaay better than megan or k sports on the same springs.

mangoes
12-22-2007, 01:10 AM
luis, 8/6 should be good, pat's car is on tein flex on 8/6 and its pretty comfortable. im running tein flex w/ 10/8 and i bounce everywhere^_^, i think its just that my coilovers are super duper old tho.. probably need to get them rebuilt or something

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
12-22-2007, 01:11 AM
for those coils stay with stock. to go way stiff/bumpy on those 12/10 for the track days. it's up to you and your kidneys if you really want to ride that ruff!

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
12-22-2007, 01:13 AM
luis, 8/6 should be good, pat's car is on tein flex on 8/6 and its pretty comfortable. im running tein flex w/ 10/8 and i bounce everywhere^_^, i think its just that my coilovers are super duper old tho.. probably need to get them rebuilt or something

get some other ones! for the $$$ to rebiuld just buy new and better ones!:coolugh:

racepar1
12-22-2007, 01:27 AM
for those coils stay with stock. to go way stiff/bumpy on those 12/10 for the track days. it's up to you and your kidneys if you really want to ride that ruff!

IDK about those springs man, that seems too stiff to me. Maybe if you were running full race tires, not DOT r-compounds but REAL race tires. I wouldn't personally want to go over 10k in the front myself, and I don't give a FUCK about ride-quality. I just think with those rates the car will become unsettled over bumps VERY easily. But it also depends on the track you are running. For fast tracks (like the big track at willow springs) or really smooth tracks (like laguna seca) stiffer springs would work, but for a bumpy track like buttonwillow or the streets of willow I'm pretty sure you will be fighting to keep control over the mid-corner bumps.

aznpoopy
12-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Shock valving has a lot more to do with ride quality than spring rates.

QFT
listen to this man here. spring rates don't tell you that much regarding ride quality.

i've sat in tein flex 10/8 (in an evo), nismo 8/6, stance 8/6, ksport 8/6(?) and my own silkroads 8/7. they all ride very differently. nismos and tein can be set comfy. silkroads are bouncy in lower adj range and harsh at the upper. ksports bounce.

luis, 8/6 should be good, pat's car is on tein flex on 8/6 and its pretty comfortable. im running tein flex w/ 10/8 and i bounce everywhere^_^,

tein flex will be comfy with 8/6. ksport will bounce at the same spring rate

Remember "tuning" we're tuners... so what do we do? Tune stuff.

no... we're not tuners. we just pick parts. unless we know how to tear down a shock and revalve it ourselves, we're are hardly 'tuning' anything.

you have two good options
1) pick a generally well accepted coilover and buy some extra springs for it if you want to mess with it
2) go konis and sleeves and pick your own rates
3) if you're stuck on ksports, then get softer springs than what they include. like 6/5 or something. they'll definitely ride better; maybe they'll last longer. you go stiffer, then my guess is they will be bouncy as fuck and blow rather quickly.

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
12-22-2007, 01:30 AM
IDK about those springs man, that seems too stiff to me. Maybe if you were running full race tires, not DOT r-compounds but REAL race tires. I wouldn't personally want to go over 10k in the front myself, and I don't give a FUCK about ride-quality. I just think with those rates the car will become unsettled over bumps VERY easily. But it also depends on the track you are running. For fast tracks (like the big track at willow springs) or really smooth tracks (like laguna seca) stiffer springs would work, but for a bumpy track like buttonwillow or the streets of willow I'm pretty sure you will be fighting to keep control over the mid-corner bumps.

i definatly see your point, but i don't think auto-x is what he'll be doing. more drifting than anything else, so i went with waaaaaay stiff, to try and reduce any roll that may be there with thes coils.

racepar1
12-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Ya for a drift setup that may be alright. I really don't know very much about setting up a car for drift though. I was raised on grip.

k's_silvia2.0
12-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Still haven't told us what you do with the car. How stiff you go depends on what you do with the car.
Well like I said its the daily and I intend on hitting up so drift events also wanna do some auto-x here and there.
i definatly see your point, but i don't think auto-x is what he'll be doing. more drifting than anything else, so i went with waaaaaay stiff, to try and reduce any roll that may be there with thes coils.

You know me well:keke:

k's_silvia2.0
12-22-2007, 12:41 PM
the ksports are 7/5

Actually theyre 7/6 now.Maybe they changed it recently?
Im still gonna call and ask about the "Overvalving".

articdragon192
12-24-2007, 03:21 PM

10/8 might have blown those Flexes. Flex run 7/5 if I remember correctly, so unless the shocks were revalved for the stiffer springs, those shocks are done.

EDacIouSX
12-24-2007, 03:47 PM
basics are 6/6. flex should be 8/6 iirc

articdragon192
12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
basics are 6/6. flex should be 8/6 iirc

http://www.tein.com/price/nissan.html

Actually it's 6/5. No wonder your Flexes bounce like crazy Jordan, lol.

racepar1
12-24-2007, 05:44 PM
If you look at the '06 catalog the flexes came with 7/7 for s-13. That's what I think mine have.

steve shadows
12-24-2007, 08:11 PM
I like 7f-5r ot 7f-6r for grip.

the kit I am selling in the sig is 7f 5rear. perfect

drifting? weld in metal bars with urethane bushings haha done

racepar1
12-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I think you are on the right track there steve. At the streets of willow it felt like my car needed a bit softer rear springs. Since I am switching to nt01's from my rt-615's though I think I am gunna bump up the front springs a couple k and bump the rears up just a little. It seems to be very common for people to overspring their cars, especially 240's, probably because drifting is so popular.

articdragon192
12-25-2007, 02:45 PM
If you look at the '06 catalog the flexes came with 7/7 for s-13. That's what I think mine have.

S13 and S14 run different spring rates. The ones on my old S13 were 6/4 rates.

k's_silvia2.0
12-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Ok Its confirmed that the Kontrol pros come with 7/6.
I can get other spring rates for like $25-$50.
So I guess ill be doing some testing.

ZX88
12-25-2007, 02:55 PM
i ride on k sports and the stock springs are pretty much perfect for daily driving i wouldn't go to much stiffer i rode in a car with megan tracks with 10/8 and that shit was pretty harsh for dd.

k's_silvia2.0
12-25-2007, 02:57 PM
i ride on k sports and the stock springs are pretty much perfect for daily driving i wouldn't go to much stiffer i rode in a car with megan tracks with 10/8 and that shit was pretty harsh for dd.

Yea I rode in a couple of cars with the ksports and I liked it.

mangoes
12-26-2007, 01:09 AM
i think my flexes came with 8/6. the previous owner included the old springs with the car and he said they were 8/6.

i like looking at my passenger's heads when im driving wuhahaha. bobblehead action ftw

iwishiwas-all*
12-26-2007, 01:23 AM
im going to reiterate it all depends on the valving of the coils because, for instance i Have Tein Flexs with 9k all around and its STILL quite soft in the rear, but definately seems to be a muc better setup for road racing and is smooth as glass for dding. but if you put 9k';s on stance for instance you may give yourself a root canal; it all depends on the valving.

MrChow
12-26-2007, 01:28 AM
any updates? Have you tried them?? Test etc etc.??

k's_silvia2.0
12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
any updates? Have you tried them?? Test etc etc.??

Nope not here yet.
Will post up any updates asap.
With pics too:yum:

k's_silvia2.0
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Well installed them on monday night.Had set waaaaaayyyy too low and it was no fun.Barely drove tuesday got it align and re-set over at DTC SUPERSTAR's shop.Thank again for everything man.See you at touke.Well now ill I to do is just find out where they are perfect for my driving.I have the front set at 10 and the rear at 12 for DD.So when I hit the track gotta stiffen it up.

MrChow
01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Nice. Good to hear. See you didn't need the spring now eh?
Lol I forgot the K-sport as 32 way I was like holy crap 10 and 12 for DD =D

k's_silvia2.0
01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Nice. Good to hear. See you didn't need the spring now eh?
Lol I forgot the K-sport as 32 way I was like holy crap 10 and 12 for DD =D

Actually the new ones have 36:loco: and they click now.So is that too soft?

MrChow
01-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Noo noo I'm just use to my coils with 15 so that just looked hella stiff. lol
As I said before just test them all out. The interesting part is that your F 10 and R 12. Normally I'd think like F12 and R10. If I did that with my car it'd start wanting to oversteer.

k's_silvia2.0
01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
^Yea well its all part of they learning process.So maybe ill try 12F and 10R to see what thats like.

MrChow
01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Just drive your car I say. Feel what's going on. Just try to pay attention to your suspension and what it's doing.
Learn something new everything day I say.

k's_silvia2.0
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
^Will do.I wish I would have gotten pics when it was super dump.

MrChow
01-10-2008, 01:57 PM
LOL ditto. I had the same think happened what I first put my coils on. I looked like one of those guy with a lowrider cars. My whole tire was inside my quart panel. And bumps hurt.

k's_silvia2.0
01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
^Yea well I was hitting those things that divide the lanes on the freeway and flinging em out at other cars:keke:

PoorMans180SX
01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
hahaha 36 way adjustment.

Just make sure you don't blindly turn both knobs to 36 when you hit the track and make your kidneys bleed. I hate when people think the stiffest is the best.

On that note, how does the adjustment feel?

Can't wait till I can drive with my Tein Super Drifts on. I want to see how rough 10/8 is on Tein dampers.

95KA-Turbo
01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I know you've already ordered them, but the rear needs to be stiffer then the front if you want it to oversteer all the time. I hate to say this, but in the Drift Bible video Keiichi says to run stiffer rear springs/valving then the front on S13s and and equal springs/valving on S14s. So for a S13, I'd run 6k/8k and on a S14 7k/7k or 8k/8k.

k's_silvia2.0
01-10-2008, 03:38 PM
hahaha 36 way adjustment.

Just make sure you don't blindly turn both knobs to 36 when you hit the track and make your kidneys bleed. I hate when people think the stiffest is the best.

On that note, how does the adjustment feel?

Can't wait till I can drive with my Tein Super Drifts on. I want to see how rough 10/8 is on Tein dampers.
They have "clicks" now so its easy to tell where your at.
I know you've already ordered them, but the rear needs to be stiffer then the front if you want it to oversteer all the time. I hate to say this, but in the Drift Bible video Keiichi says to run stiffer rear springs/valving then the front on S13s and and equal springs/valving on S14s. So for a S13, I'd run 6k/8k and on a S14 7k/7k or 8k/8k.

Well that Ksports came with 7/6 idk I dont plan to sit on these forever.

k's_silvia2.0
01-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Well gonna do some "hard" driving this weekend so will se how the stand up to the one tire fire challenge.Also anyone know whats usual for a brake in period on coilovers?

MrChow
01-12-2008, 12:19 AM
^^^ uh? Should there be??

S14DB
01-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Well gonna do some "hard" driving this weekend so will se how the stand up to the one tire fire challenge.Also anyone know whats usual for a brake in period on coilovers?

depends on how shitty the springs are.

onevia92
01-12-2008, 01:42 AM
pk so i gots me a 1992 s13 coupe i bought some coil overs off some friend(cum rag i think he suckerd me) any way for about a month they were goood but now i cant even pull out of the drive way before i freaken start hopping up and down. any idea wat it could be ? could it be i messed them up already or? ? anything help!
im afriad to pic up chicks i feel bad for there booBies i mean its fun to look but not for them. help!

MrChow
01-12-2008, 01:51 AM
^^^ Uhhh did you install them right?? There could be a number of things...
Is the coil set right? Pic?

onevia92
01-12-2008, 01:56 AM
numbers on the things you say.
mmm like # of threads i lowerd or something like that? there jic coil overs i think they might be blown how do i check?

fakts13
01-12-2008, 02:09 AM
I personally ran 10/8 on the street and on track, pretty good compromise I think. if the coilovers come with 7/5, you should check with the manufacturer if the damper valving can handle 10/8 (or whatever you decide to run), if not you'll kill the seals in the damper in no time at all.

S14DB
01-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Pop hood. put hands around shock tower. put all weight on tower and then release. should pop up and settle. if it keeps rocking the shock is blown. you can also rock the car and it should settle within 3 rocks. if it keeps going they are blown.

onevia92
01-12-2008, 02:12 AM
okay maan so that means? hahah i think im going back to my tein lowering springs on my adjustable gaybril shocks! i like the ride and there pretty stiff i can take turns almost as fast just not freeway entrances you know the big ass circle ones that say"35mph" that you take at around 70.

chitosdr
01-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Pop hood. put hands around shock tower. put all weight on tower and then release. should pop up and settle. if it keeps rocking the shock is blown. you can also rock the car and it should settle within 3 rocks. if it keeps going they are blown.

Shit with my Megan Streets, I can jump up and down on the corners, and there isn't any movement. This is with the damping adjustment at 6 clicks in from full soft at all four corners. Can you actually press on you shock towers and get movement like the stock suspension? I really don't like running these things on the street.

k's_silvia2.0
01-12-2008, 05:53 PM
^^^ uh? Should there be??

depends on how shitty the springs are.

??? Hmmm well ill give a bit to be safe.

SochBAT
01-12-2008, 06:12 PM
My buddy richie has GC sleeves, Koni Yellows, and IIRC Swift springs w/helper springs.

Road feel was legit as shit, felt like you were running on the roads, and the ride quality wasn't rough at all. Similar to stock ride, but more solid, i'd say. I think the rates he had were 8/6kg.

I gotta ask him to snap shots when he's back from vacation.

k's_silvia2.0
01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
^that sound like a nice set up!