PDA

View Full Version : battery popped! battery recommendations

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 06:53 PM
:rant: so as i was turning into a gas station my car just slowly went to a stop...popped up the hood and shattered positive terminal... ( battery was a yuasa motorcycle battery)

i made this thread to have battery recommendations (* i searched for other ones and didnt find any so hopefully this is one that will come up when searched)

1. so now i am in need of a new battery that will

1a. last long
2a. be able to power up various electronics such as headunit, ipod, ipod rechargeable,
3a. basiclly a great battery

im leaning towards a diehard battery but can i please get some input on this ..which battery would u recommend for my listings

thanks i know i made it pretty long but yeah wanted u guys to get an idea sorry ..:hyper:

MURPHY
12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
optima... red top or w/e

JoeC1982
12-21-2007, 07:00 PM
i like exide orbital or oddysey

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 07:02 PM
thanks for the recommendations but also can the next ppl also include why its a better choice
thanks

* i know a batterry is a battery and as long as it turns on ur car and thats it* but really i need one that has a good warrranty and or reasons why to choose that one ...

thanks though ima look into the optima redtop

MrChow
12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Optima redtop. Optima is up there on everyone list.

louisdaboois
12-21-2007, 07:08 PM
forget an optima redtop. go with a blue or yellow. theyre deep cycle and badass.

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 07:09 PM
thanks! keep em coming u guys!! i wanna hear some opinions about the diehard batteries!!

im lookin at the optima redtop and it has me :)

SR20junkie
12-21-2007, 07:13 PM
i would have to say yellowtop its got the power of "6 battery cells" says optima, i dont really think it does but it still kicks ass

MegasquirtCA
12-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Odyssey 680 or 925 nuff said.

S14DB
12-21-2007, 07:14 PM
forget an optima redtop. go with a blue or yellow. theyre deep cycle and badass.

Blue top is a marine so NO. Yellow is great for sound systems but he doesn't mention that. Can't beat the cranking power of a redtop.

Anto
12-21-2007, 07:16 PM
You don't really need an Optima, just because it's a popular battery it doesn't constitute you spending $160 on it. You can get something that does the job just as well for less than half the price..

Most car batteries are up to the task of daily use, just spend the extra $20-30 on the best version with lots of CCA's. The factory battery on my s13 was something like 500CCA's, and the Duralast Gold replacement I got is 800CCA's and comes with a 3 year free replacement warranty. Costs $80.
What you should heed detail to is the terminals you get - make sure they are good ones that won't pop loose. I can't tell you how much trouble I've had with faulty battery terminals in the past that have left me stranded. Make sure to also generously smear dielectric grease on the terminals to protect them from the elements.. wouldn't want any corrosion on your new battery.

Consumer Reports did a survey on car batteries, google around for it.

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Blue top is a marine so NO. Yellow is great for sound systems but he doesn't mention that. Can't beat the cranking power of a redtop.

i actualy do have a sound system but nothing big though just headunit with 5x6 speakers i think and i play it from my ipod and i would basiclly also want to be able to charge my ipod while playing music w/out the fear that the battery will give out thankss..!

S14DB
12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I got my Optima for $80 have to wait for them to go on sale. The red top retails for $120 and a yellow for $140 around here.

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
You don't really need an Optima, just because it's a popular battery it doesn't constitute you spending $160 on it. You can get something that does the job just as well for less than half the price..

Most car batteries are up to the task of daily use, just spend the extra $20-30 on the best version with lots of CCA's. The factory battery on my s13 was something like 500CCA's, and the Duralast Gold replacement I got is 800CCA's and comes with a 3 year free replacement warranty. Costs $80.
What you should heed detail to is the terminals you get - make sure they are good ones that won't pop loose. I can't tell you how much trouble I've had with faulty battery terminals in the past that have left me stranded. Make sure to also generously smear dielectric grease on the terminals to protect them from the elements.. wouldn't want any corrosion on your new battery.

Consumer Reports did a survey on car batteries, google around for it.

alrite thanks for the heads up on that one ... what kind of terminals do you suggest then?? because they are F*d up they were being hold down to the post by a penny...yes a penny on each post LOL

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 07:21 PM
I got my Optima for $80 have to wait for them to go on sale. The red top retails for $120 and a yellow for $140 around here.

NIIIICE! would they go on sale after christmas?? i thougth the optimas were a bit more expensive
thanks for the valuable info ima go google the consumer reports on batteries for more info thanks 4 everyones help i appreciate it a lot :love:

S14DB
12-21-2007, 07:24 PM
i actualy do have a sound system but nothing big though just headunit with 5x6 speakers i think and i play it from my ipod and i would basiclly also want to be able to charge my ipod while playing music w/out the fear that the battery will give out thankss..!
No a system not stock replacements. Like 4ch amp and Subs and amps. sucking down the power. Redtop will last an hour with your setup.

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 07:26 PM
No a system not stock replacements. Like 4ch amp and Subs and amps. sucking down the power. Redtop will last an hour with your setup.

thanks so u just suggest to move on up to the yellow one?
what about the deep cycle batteries thanksssssss!

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
alright guys thanks for all your help in every kind of advice... i have decided to buy the yellowtop :]
hope this will help some other person when deciding to buy a battery for sound system/ good crank.

posmotors
12-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Well I put in a Optima Redtop when my brand new Sam's Club one died because of my dead alternator and the Optima went 7 days of driving with no alternator to power it. So I would say they would be a good battery to go with =)

Giebs
12-21-2007, 08:01 PM
diehard platinum, lol...180$ though

nissantfsx
12-21-2007, 08:17 PM
i heard that optima redtop is pretty good...in fact, sorry for being a bit off topic...but where did u guys purchase ur optima batteries? any recommended websites? thnx!!

S14DB
12-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Local shop. Autozone, advance autoparts(parts america). One will put them on sale each month. Something to save for not an oh shit purchase.

mademedoit
12-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I've had two optima yellow tops great batteries you can let them sit in your garage for half a year and then still start your car. The best deal though is to spend $40 on a bat from kmart that comes with a 60 MONTH waranty thats whats in my 240. (1st optima was stolen with my system and 2nd was in my old crx that was stolen and crashed)

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I've had two optima yellow tops great batteries you can let them sit in your garage for half a year and then still start your car. The best deal though is to spend $40 on a bat from kmart that comes with a 60 MONTH waranty thats whats in my 240. (1st optima was stolen with my system and 2nd was in my old crx that was stolen and crashed)

LMFAO!!!:rofl: oh man thats a good laugh... thanks man
sucks to hear wat happened about ur cars stolen though
but i think ill risk it and not buy the bat and just buy the yellow top :]
and take my rechargeable taser gun i bought :]

blownmotor
12-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Optima can't go wrong especially if you buy it from costco ( they'll give you a new on if it craps out no matter what )

thedecapitator
12-21-2007, 10:27 PM
no way.. are you serious? damn costco is great then.. i was leaning towards the duralast gold battery its only 90$ and comes with 3yr free replacement :-0:aw:

emersonLP
12-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Again, optima is the way to go. Yellowtop if you have or plan to have a sound system or other gobs of electronics, otherwise, redtop is fine too.

The best thing about the Optimas, in my eyes, is honestly the fact that those bastards are dry cell and sealed up tighter than Sweeny Todd's basement.

JoeC1982
12-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Optima quality has went downhill over the last few years..

Oddysey, Exide Orbital(heavy), or Kinetik FTW

S13Boosts
12-22-2007, 12:38 AM
yup optima yellow or red top!

MegasquirtCA
12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Odyssey is military grade, weighs 14 pounds. Rated to be in working condition for 12years, 3year warranty I believe and takes 2 years to discharge when left.

jskateborders
12-22-2007, 01:34 PM
34dt-dlg
1000cca
8 year warranty
not very big
side and top posts
80 bucks

rocksteady_racer
12-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I have had Red Tops in all my cars. Never had a problem with starting. Plus I left my headlights on in my 96 maxima for 6 hours and came out and the car still started right up. What other battery can do that?

ROIDMONKEY
12-22-2007, 01:59 PM
this is what im using , so far no problems. i dont have big sound system only a radio and speakers no amps, a clifford alarms and thats it . i think i paid 120 or something , dont remenber
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/Ajfina/SNB10183small.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/Ajfina/SNB10185small.jpg

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
this is what im using , so far no problems. i dont have big sound system only a radio and speakers no amps, a clifford alarms and thats it . i think i paid 120 or something , dont remenber
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/Ajfina/SNB10183small.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/Ajfina/SNB10185small.jpg

wow thanks even for the pics! :] i am going today and buying a redtop at costco thanks zilvians!:2f2f:

g6civcx
12-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I have had Red Tops in all my cars. Never had a problem with starting. Plus I left my headlights on in my 96 maxima for 6 hours and came out and the car still started right up. What other battery can do that?

My Optima yellow top :)

ixfxi
12-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Optima quality has went downhill over the last few years.. Oddysey, Exide Orbital(heavy), or Kinetik FTW

what is this bullshit? did optima all of a sudden start cutting corners? did you investigate their build quality and have some kind of undercover information that we're not aware of?

if you have something meaningful to add, say it.. just quit spreading propaganda.

Odyssey is military grade, weighs 14 pounds. Rated to be in working condition for 12years, 3year warranty I believe and takes 2 years to discharge when left.

3 year WARRANTY, but definitely no 12 year GAURANTEE.

Point being, a battery will last as long as its properly maintained. Now, considering most S13 owners are idiots who dont maintain their cars... theres no reason to assume ANY battery, including a super strong optima/odyssey will last if the person neglects their electrical system.

The red top batteries are considered "starting" batteries, designed to give the most cold-cranking-amps for automotive use. Generally speaking, this is the choice battery for MOST people. Its a good balance of performance and cost.

The yellow and blue are both deep cycle, but the blue top seems to be more durable and dependable. I have had my blue to for near 10 years now, it STILL fucking works. The redtop in the Miata is also several years old and works like a charm.

If you maintain your electrical system by making sure your alternator is in good condition and properly charges the battery, then your electrical system will last for a very long time.

The biggest problem I see is that most people run these under-sized motorbike batteries and end up putting too much of a strain on their alternators (charging system). All for what? To save weight? I have an idea, get a girlfriend that isnt as fat...

that would be better....

bejota180sx
12-22-2007, 04:55 PM
i have a optima redtop have only had 2 in so many years... die hards are good but better spend the few more on a optima... but i would recomend the yellow top its way better than the red one... ive heard good things about odyssey and svr you should check it out...

burnsauto
12-22-2007, 04:59 PM
i'd say a redtop.

pros:
-good cranking power
-2 year replacement warranty
-gel cell, so you can mount it any way you'd like
-it wont blow up/leak acid

cons:
-price, but they're getting cheaper.

personally, i picked a yellow top, decent cca's and deep cycle, so i can run all the electronic gadgets without having to worry about it putting a strain on the system.

but thats just my .02 cents.

bigOdom1
12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
what is this bullshit? did optima all of a sudden start cutting corners? did you investigate their build quality and have some kind of undercover information that we're not aware of?

if you have something meaningful to add, say it.. just quit spreading propaganda.

3 year WARRANTY, but definitely no 12 year GAURANTEE.

Point being, a battery will last as long as its properly maintained. Now, considering most S13 owners are idiots who dont maintain their cars... theres no reason to assume ANY battery, including a super strong optima/odyssey will last if the person neglects their electrical system.

The red top batteries are considered "starting" batteries, designed to give the most cold-cranking-amps for automotive use. Generally speaking, this is the choice battery for MOST people. Its a good balance of performance and cost.

The yellow and blue are both deep cycle, but the blue top seems to be more durable and dependable. I have had my blue to for near 10 years now, it STILL fucking works. The redtop in the Miata is also several years old and works like a charm.

If you maintain your electrical system by making sure your alternator is in good condition and properly charges the battery, then your electrical system will last for a very long time.

The biggest problem I see is that most people run these under-sized motorbike batteries and end up putting too much of a strain on their alternators (charging system). All for what? To save weight? I have an idea, get a girlfriend that isnt as fat...

that would be better....

agreed not to mention that optima's are used by the military, thus the reason they were on backorder two years ago when the Govt. purchased a ton of them.

Irukandji
12-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Costco special

driftage240
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
buy a lil cage wit a wheel get a squirel and let it run around and power your car!!!! jdm battery ftw lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 07:08 PM
:rant2: :mad: wow i am extremely upset and angry! i purchased the redtop optima like a few of you guys suggested so i hook it up to the car and it doesnt fucken start my car! next thing i use jumper cables and still ATLEAST this time it gives a little faint bs that it wants to start but nothing!

ugh! i am angry

by the way i bought it at costco for what i believe a good price of 145$

i am just going to go to SEARS like another zilvian mentions and buy the DIEHARD battery for 100$ and with a 5yr instead of 3yr like the optimas

extremely dissapointed.

DreamN
12-22-2007, 07:56 PM
you sure it's the battery?

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 07:59 PM
YES POSITIVE i mean it did turn on with a lil mazda battery but thats my dads
so what do you think should i just get the diehard
i think ima go that way now
after this bad experience

Irukandji
12-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Are you serious? The battery has probably been sitting for a while, so just jump your car, and drive around. Sounds like it just needs to be charged

johngriff
12-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Optima is trash.

Just standard miata case battery, its small works well, and is cheap. Pick your preference in manufacture, but those gelcell batteries are no fun.

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Are you serious? The battery has probably been sitting for a while, so just jump your car, and drive around. Sounds like it just needs to be charged

no joke man that bitch got jump started still wouldnt start was left on like that for a good 4-5 min. and barely wanted to turn over but not even screw that optima bs after this it has scarred me for life!!
ima have to go with diehard and hope that one doesnt dissapoint me

and for the other post .. uhm a miata battery did turn on my car but the thing is i dont want to use that one since its my dads and im also gona be running a sound system ( no amps, though ) but still dnot wanna risk it

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Optima is trash.

Just standard miata case battery, its small works well, and is cheap. Pick your preference in manufacture, but those gelcell batteries are no fun.

i agree:love:

98koukile
12-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Yes base your decision on one experience instead of returning to costco and trying a different one

S14DB
12-22-2007, 09:14 PM
:rant2: :mad: wow i am extremely upset and angry! i purchased the redtop optima like a few of you guys suggested so i hook it up to the car and it doesnt fucken start my car! next thing i use jumper cables and still ATLEAST this time it gives a little faint bs that it wants to start but nothing!

ugh! i am angry

i am just going to go to SEARS like another zilvian mentions and buy the DIEHARD battery for 100$ and with a 5yr instead of 3yr like the optimas

extremely dissapointed.

Did they check the charge on the battery before giving it to you? Heaven forbid you exchange it.

Good Luck with a DieHard I sued Sears for Acid burns I received from a brand new one as I was leaving the store. The top wasn't sealed on from the factory. Lucky they have a safety shower and the got my new cloths from the mens dept as it melted my shirt and pants.

JoeC1982
12-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I wasn't saying optima is trash but i've had a few come in that were defective from the factory and i've seen many people having trouble with theirs on the car audio forums. Optima makes a good battery but there are others i'd spend my money on first.

driftage240
12-22-2007, 10:55 PM
dont jump start the optimas... they need to be trickle charged like bike battery,cause it wit burn the battery..the red tops cant sit to long...kills them..atleast get the yellow tops.go back return it!,fuck die hard...Duralast
gold 24 800ccca 950crank amp,3 year free replacement and 8 year prorated,and my discount too pendejo!!! just make a trip....u never listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
dont jump start the optimas... they need to be trickle charged like bike battery,cause it wit burn the battery..the red tops cant sit to long...kills them..atleast get the yellow tops.go back return it!,fuck die hard...Duralast
gold 24 800ccca 950crank amp,3 year free replacement and 8 year prorated,and my discount too pendejo!!! just make a trip....u never listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

LOL why cause u get commission after u sell me a battery? haha!! thats 2 much gas money lol

^^^^ also wow i cant believe the diehard battery threw acid on ur clothes :-0 ima have to be careful
fuck this is the reason i made this thread :(
any other input on what kind of battery to buy??

ima check out the duralast gold also

thanks everybody

i bet that optimas arent bad and i just got a defective one but 1 bad experience is enough to leave as an unhappy customer

kingyogi
12-22-2007, 11:32 PM
i had a bad ground on my gold s14 somewherea nd it kept killing my optima redtops, literally killing 4 of the cells from some odd ass reason. i think i had a bad ground, BUT, i swapped batterys with my sister from her Scion TC and with even a bad ground the scion TC factory batter hasnt fucked me over in almost a month. still is like a champ.

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 11:41 PM
i had a bad ground on my gold s14 somewherea nd it kept killing my optima redtops, literally killing 4 of the cells from some odd ass reason. i think i had a bad ground, BUT, i swapped batterys with my sister from her Scion TC and with even a bad ground the scion TC factory batter hasnt fucked me over in almost a month. still is like a champ.

wow .. but in my case i dont have any ground problems its just that the positive post popped like half of it fell off .. good thing though ur cars still running cause mine isnt!!!

drifting.8
12-22-2007, 11:45 PM
i actually like the carbon fiber batteries that bride has... they say there just as good as the optima batteries with half the weight..

nissan240sxkid
12-22-2007, 11:48 PM
I want in on this ......I didnt read any one using the wesco its nice and fits in tray awsome and its under 100 bucks, just an idea no burn please

thedecapitator
12-22-2007, 11:50 PM
^^ whats the cranking power

nissan240sxkid
12-22-2007, 11:54 PM
its 475 and its westco....I spelled it wrong sorry just noticed

nissan240sxkid
12-22-2007, 11:59 PM
its a mazda miata battery and it fits in like thedecapitator's battery....I have used 2 off them on diff projects and it snows where I live never had a problem...

TheBigDirty
12-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I'd recommend an ac delco battery. It was 60 bucks and it's been great. It never leaves me stranded and powers my sub with no problem.

johngriff
12-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Honestly, I get battery's from wal-mart. They are dirt cheap, work perfectly fine. I have one in the back of my project car, and let it sit for about a year, occasionally starting it, and it fired right up every time. it was $30, and if it dies, i'll just buy another.

I've put them in a few of my DD's and have not had any problems either...

ixfxi
12-23-2007, 12:18 PM

ugh! i am angry

extremely dissapointed.

when you buy a battery, NOTHING suggests that its charged. did you test that first?