PDA

View Full Version : tuning question

nicku
12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I have a red top with s15 turbo, fmic, and blitz bov. right now my car is running rich because of the bov. and it stalls sometimes. I will get my wideband in this week and i already installed my safc2 last week, and i havent done any tuning yet because i dont have a wideband and i dont want to blow my motor.
If i want to tune it to make it not as rich as now after my wideband is here, what should i be looking at to tune in safc?

I am planning to get 550cc injectors, boost controller. My goal on my car is no more than 300hp. do you guys think I should get a q45 or z32 maf?
Also 550 injectors and boost controller, which one should i get first in your opinions?

statik
12-17-2007, 09:51 AM
To fix the stalling issue you need to set your air decel settings, this will not effect your AFR under any conditions other than idle basically, so it's safe to set, you don't need a wideband.

What you wanna do is start the car up cold, set the air decel to On at 1.0% throttle. Set ne0 to 800rpm and ne1 to 1500rpm and start with ne0 point at 4% and the ne1 point at 5%. Then keep adjusting those numbers down, withing about 1% of each other, until the car starts to stall. Bring it up to the point were the car is still cold and can idle good.

What this does is when throttle is less than 1.0% it will ignore the ECU fueling params and just give X amount of fuel based on RPM and the % you gave for the 2 points. So basically when the RPMs dip low, this will pull fuel to just enough to idle (based on your settings previously), and prevent the car from stalling like it normally does with an atmoshphere BOV.

You may have to play with the initial RPM points and the % of those 2 points to get it to idle well in the cold and never stall, but i've done it on at least 3 cars and it always works great.

nicku
12-17-2007, 09:56 AM
so it doesnt mess with the afr?

nicku
12-17-2007, 11:07 AM
To fix the stalling issue you need to set your air decel settings, this will not effect your AFR under any conditions other than idle basically, so it's safe to set, you don't need a wideband.

What you wanna do is start the car up cold, set the air decel to On at 1.0% throttle. Set ne0 to 800rpm and ne1 to 1500rpm and start with ne0 point at 4% and the ne1 point at 5%. Then keep adjusting those numbers down, withing about 1% of each other, until the car starts to stall. Bring it up to the point were the car is still cold and can idle good.

What this does is when throttle is less than 1.0% it will ignore the ECU fueling params and just give X amount of fuel based on RPM and the % you gave for the 2 points. So basically when the RPMs dip low, this will pull fuel to just enough to idle (based on your settings previously), and prevent the car from stalling like it normally does with an atmoshphere BOV.

You may have to play with the initial RPM points and the % of those 2 points to get it to idle well in the cold and never stall, but i've done it on at least 3 cars and it always works great.

So yeah, I tried your setting, but somehow some of the things are not as you described.
So I did set the air decel to throttle at 1.0%
and then the next I had to set the Ne0 point to 800rpm and Ne1 point to 1500 rpm. What I had on my screen was only Ne1 point and Ne2 point, there was no Ne0 point. So I adjusted the Ne1 point to 800 rpm and Ne2 point to 1400 instead of 1500 rpm, because mine only can adjust from 1600 to 1400 there was no 1500rpm.

Same as Ne0 point at 4% and Ne1 at 5%...I dont have the Ne0 so I adjusted the Ne1 to 4% and Ne2 to 5%.

the car doesnt stall at all now, but when I rev it up, the rpm sometimes stays at 1100 rpm for a while then drops to 800 idling. or sometimes it drops to 500 and goes back to 800rpm...but it does not stall at all
is it normal?

statik
12-17-2007, 11:35 AM
So yeah, I tried your setting, but somehow some of the things are not as you described.
So I did set the air decel to throttle at 1.0%
and then the next I had to set the Ne0 point to 800rpm and Ne1 point to 1500 rpm. What I had on my screen was only Ne1 point and Ne2 point, there was no Ne0 point. So I adjusted the Ne1 point to 800 rpm and Ne2 point to 1400 instead of 1500 rpm, because mine only can adjust from 1600 to 1400 there was no 1500rpm.

Same as Ne0 point at 4% and Ne1 at 5%...I dont have the Ne0 so I adjusted the Ne1 to 4% and Ne2 to 5%.

the car doesnt stall at all now, but when I rev it up, the rpm sometimes stays at 1100 rpm for a while then drops to 800 idling. or sometimes it drops to 500 and goes back to 800rpm...but it does not stall at all
is it normal?

yeah either i was thinking like a programmer (0 before 1) or my neo starts with 0, I don't remember, either way for you it's ne1 and 2, thats fine. You can control the rpm points from another menu when you setup your fuel map adjustments, as for the car sitting at 1100rpm, you're just gonna have to play with the settings abit.

Try adjusting the rpm points to 700 (or just below whatever you normally idle at) and 1200, try taking out a bit more fuel if you can without stalling etc. If that doesn't help try adjusting the first point to JUST over the idle rpm, see if that stops it from messing with your normal idle. Sometimes mine will dip down to 500 for a bit and then jump back up, can't really avoid that but its better than stalling.

RedtopTech
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
get the injectors first. Its easy to get overzelous with a boost controller. Especially since the S15 uses 480cc injectors.

nicku
12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
if i get the injectors do i need to maf right away?

statik
12-17-2007, 07:00 PM
if i get the injectors do i need to maf right away?

no, you just need to compensate for the injectors, stock maf will still limit you to a maxium of ~270whp, when you get a new maf you just change the "hot wire in" in the afc

nicku
12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
so if i get the 550 injectors, i can go ahead to boost it up, right? do i have to adjust the safc whenever i change the boost?

RedtopTech
12-17-2007, 09:24 PM
no the MAFS componsates for additional airflow, that is untill the injectors or MAFS max out.

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
12-28-2007, 02:34 AM
so is there any reall diff between z32 maf and q45 maf in terms of performance?

whereda40at
12-28-2007, 03:13 AM
the q45 in much bigger than the z32 and can take higher horse power levels. and is easyer to install than the z32

nicku
12-28-2007, 09:54 AM
then why people use z32?

mtx450
12-28-2007, 10:05 AM
the q45 in much bigger than the z32 and can take higher horse power levels. and is easyer to install than the z32

I would think that they are the same to install. Both have to be re-wired to wire into the stock harness for the MAF.