PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problem

Kwonza Says
12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Problem is that while I was driving my transmission went weird on me. I tried puttin in gear and it wouldnt let me. So I pulled the car to the side of the road and start it up in neutral....it worked so I tried putting in 1st again didnt work. So I started the car up putting it in 1st started it up and was stalling out? ( I was holding down the clutch) So I kept trying and finally worked but the drive home was weird. Putting in gear was har i had to force every gear and the clutch seems to be grinding not slipping? any ideas I know something is broken but wondering if someone would know right away what broke and what i have to change now.. Thanks for reading and greatfull for the help thanks everybody!

Addicted2Kouki
12-16-2007, 08:42 PM
check your clutch master and slave cylinder.

if those are fine. most likely your throwout bearing.

downshift_sideways
12-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I also agree. Throwout bearing.

How old is your clutch?

Kwonza Says
12-16-2007, 09:07 PM
clutch is pretty old well I asked a friend of mine and asked to wiggle the shift fork thingy(sorry im still new) and it wiggles alot and the slave cylinder that pushes the fork is loose and can be pushed back...so what do i need to buy?

downshift_sideways
12-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Rebleed your clutch.

**If your clutch is old...you should replace that while you are at it. Along with the pressure plate, and Bearings.

Kwonza Says
12-16-2007, 09:09 PM
I also agree. Throwout bearing.

How old is your clutch?
Clutch is old but feels really good and stiff and "was" in good shape not the gears grind hard to put in gear and the clutch grinds makes a hissing/grinding sound when I ease off the clutch in gear.

Kwonza Says
12-16-2007, 09:12 PM
check your clutch master and slave cylinder.

if those are fine. most likely your throwout bearing.

yeah my buddy who told me to look at the slave cylinder said throw out bearing...he said something about buying a new one I dont know what part (the fork or the bearing) but at superior nissan they have a nismo one he said to get that...

downshift_sideways
12-16-2007, 09:14 PM
When you buy a new clutch kit.
It should come with: Clutch,Pressure Plate, Throw out bearing, Pilot bearing,Lube and an alignment tool.

I would say replace it all, and rebleed your clutch line.
Maybe even eliminate the dampner box.

and you SHOULD be worry free.

jackjack
12-16-2007, 09:17 PM
could be a number of things. check all ^ that. same thing happened to me. clutch was DONE.

Kwonza Says
12-16-2007, 09:30 PM
When you buy a new clutch kit.
It should come with: Clutch,Pressure Plate, Throw out bearing, Pilot bearing,Lube and an alignment tool.

I would say replace it all, and rebleed your clutch line.
Maybe even eliminate the dampner box.

and you SHOULD be worry free.

Yeah sounds like that SHOULD do the trick...hahah thanks hmm well my KA has about 201,xxx miles changing clutch and stuff...nevermind i was going to save up for coilovers since im running stock looks like an off road car..but yeah stop whining and prob buy the clutch kit or buy the Nismo piviot fork joint ball joint thingy. Thank you

Kwonza Says
12-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh what is a dampner box?

smurfgcr
12-16-2007, 09:39 PM
dampner box is a little box that the hardline goes into from the master cylinder before it goes to the slave...it basically dampens the clutch pedal and makes it feel softer i belive. delete it because its a PITA when bleeding the clutch because air seems to always stay in it.

Kwonza Says
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
ohh ok i should learn how to remove that as well..this is all a learnign experience for me : ) thanks guys so much for coilovers -___-

g6civcx
12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
dampner box is a little box that the hardline goes into from the master cylinder before it goes to the slave...it basically dampens the clutch pedal and makes it feel softer i belive. delete it because its a PITA when bleeding the clutch because air seems to always stay in it.

Search on the damper and you will find tons of info.

xxslidewaysxx
12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
check the pivot for the fork its funny cuz we're just fixing that right now. same symptoms so check that.. the one over here had broken off

racepar1
12-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Sounds like either the master cyl or slave cyl is gone. Could also be a broken clutch fork. There is no way in hell it is the throwout bearing unless it is making a REALLY HORRIBLE NOISE when you press the clutch! It is almost certainly not the clutch either, clutches slip when they are gone. Your problem is that it is not releasing, which is most likely a hydraulic problem.

Kwonza Says
12-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Ok I was in auto class and took appart the tranny and clutch....guess what my bolt on my flywheel broke off!! yest i took it out and pop there is a piece of bolt that lookes like it was broken off. So guess that is what was the problem clutch was fine the ball piviot thingy was good slave cylinder was good just that little piece of bolt that came off thanks guys~!