PDA

View Full Version : Going turbo

CoasTek240
09-30-2002, 12:50 PM
ok, as many of you may know, i'm fixing my Koop! yeah! with the extra money from insurance, as well as my littl nestegg, i'm gonna turbo my KA. i plan on buying a kit , b/c it'll be easier for ME(and some friends) to install, u see, i plan on doing th install and customizing a kit is too hard for me. but i would like to do it properly and beef up the engine b4 hand. i want to know what i shoudl do to strengthen the my KA b4 turbo, things that i will be able to run the car n/a with until it's turboed. (i.e. forged pistons...can i use s14a SE pistons?) etc.. your helpwould be appriciated. and don't flame me if this seems like a dumb question to you i'm simply trying to learn

Jeff240sx
09-30-2002, 01:27 PM
There is nothing exceptional about the s14a SE pistons.  And they are not forged.  But...
All s14, base to LE, have hypereutectic pistons... which are better than s13 pistons, but definatly not to the level of forged.  Why don't you have your internals cryo-treated, since you seem to be doing this low budget (using stock pistons.)  I may be way off, and if I am, go do your $2k forged engine build-up.
-Jeff

CoasTek240
09-30-2002, 08:18 PM
well in march i'll haev approx 5K to spend(gotta buy books) then the rest is mine to spend. i need to have the engine bulit up.. personally it runs great, and lookign at the n-sport stage 1 kit for $3995.00

SSJ2Gohan
09-30-2002, 08:40 PM
Im looking at the nsports also with the stage 1.  It says you should be fine on stock pistons but if you go any higher they recommend beefing up your engine's internals.

Jeff240sx
09-30-2002, 08:58 PM
So that will give you a grand to buy pistons and rods, and have the block bored and get everything installed for $1k minus shipping?  Doesn't sound good to me.  And then you are gonna trust your forged internals to a fuel pressure regulator?  I would seriously do fuel management with the rest of the cash, and get forged stuff later.
JMO
-Jeff

CoasTek240
09-30-2002, 10:27 PM
as far as installation, my friend is gonna do it and help me out.but i will take ur advie about the fuels system.. what do u reccomend?.. uc an pm me if u don't feel like making this thred longer.. or we could always archive it

Jeff240sx
09-30-2002, 10:49 PM
Fuel system depends on your available funds.  The absolute best thing to do would be JWT ecu, Cobra MAF, 72lbs injectors, Walbro pump, and fuel rail, along with a standalone FMU, like an Apex'i AFC.  But... that is for serious boosting applications.
Depending on your boost you run, I'd go with larger injectors, fuel pump, and JWT ecu.  Possibly a z32 MAF if you are gonna run 10+psi.
-Jeff

240Stilo
09-30-2002, 11:09 PM
When dealing with compression ratio for aftermarket pistons, is it best to lower compression to run higher boost or keep compression the same? The reason I ask is because when you're driving around on a daily basis with low boost and lower compression wouldn't your car feel slower? ONe more thing...If you were to keep compression ratio the same how much boost could you SAFELY use?

240racer
10-02-2002, 06:39 PM
The absolute best thing to do is NOT the JWT, unless you bring you car there and have them dyno tune it, because otherwise they are not tuning your car, they are giving you a generic map that calibrates the stock map for the different sized injectors and MAF.

with your spare $1000 or so that you have after you buy the kit, get some larger injectors and a walbro fuel pump.  Don't worry about the MAF, it's fine, unless your injectors are bigger then 370cc/min.  You do have enough money left to either get a JWT ecu or a Apexi SAFC and some dyno time.  I prefer the later for power and knowing what is going on with your car, but the JWT is safer.  Your stock internals are fine at this point, just make sure you have the fuel.

don't run much over 7psi at this point, or you risk engine durability problems.  Your next weakest spot is your pistons.  you want to get forged pistons, custom JE's will run about $500 I think.  The stock rods will work, if they are shot-peened, but you can get new ones to be safe, if you have the money.  All of this stuff puts you over your $5000 budget though, so just count on "only" boosting to 7psi (plenty fast if you are used to the 155hp you are making now)