PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wobble, Shaking

four
09-29-2002, 02:32 PM
My friend just told me that when im driving, my rear pass. side wheel wobbles a lil bit.  Anyone have that problem before?  I remember before my mechanic said I needed an alignment.  Do you guys think thats it?  It sure doesnt feel like it wobbles tho when im in the car.

adey
09-29-2002, 02:45 PM
first thing's first... jack up the car and make sure all lugnuts are tight.. you may need an alignment, or to just have your tire re-balanced. I can't think of anything else unless you've got a really messed up suspension...

i hate rice rockets
09-29-2002, 03:02 PM
yea same thing happened to me but i found out that you do need alignment and u do need to check ur tires if they are eaten up inside...cuz thats what happened to me , my tires were eaten up inside soo thats why my tire was shaking/wobbling

four
09-29-2002, 03:14 PM
yeh..i checked that...all the lugs are tight....i really think its alignment...what do u (i hate rice) mean by eaten up inside?

Red
09-29-2002, 04:32 PM
If you have Neg camber the tire will ware on the inside.. I would go get your tires ballenced. And a alignment/camber corection.. I do this all the time or my car gets outa whack. I duno maby your tire is not seated on the wheel/rim right? not likely tho.

Yoshi
09-30-2002, 01:58 AM
someone correct me if I'm off base here, but how could bad alignment make the wheel "shake"?  bad alignment should only make for odd/premature tire wear... think about all the driftiing guys that have massive camber so that more tire contact is made through a drift...

I've got to go with lugs (which u said are all tight), mis-seated wheel (something causing a it to seat improperly, like a lil rock or something), unbalanced wheel/tire, and no one has mentioned a bad wheel bearing (this has my vote), you could also have a damaged/bent hub.  The last 2 I would think have the highest probability of being the culprit,  depending on how much wobble there is.

cliff notes:
-check lugs and wheel seating
-check amount of wobble (let someone else drive while u follow)
-if small wobble get tires/rims re-balanced, maybe alignment checked
-if large wobble get alignment checked as well as hub and wheel bearing

camppain
09-30-2002, 04:41 AM
yoshi you are right alignment will not cause a particular wheel to shake or wobble

if the wheel is bolted on good and nothings keeping it from seating right then your rim might be bent

simple way to see is jack up the rear and turn the car on put it in 4th and let it coast get back there adnd look at your tire. save yourself some money instead of going to the dealer.

four
09-30-2002, 09:05 AM
what u mean put it on 4th and let it "coast" wouldnt the car stall?

four
09-30-2002, 09:06 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (camppain @ Sep. 30 2002,06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">simple way to see is jack up the rear and turn the car on put it in 4th and let it coast get back there adnd look at your tire. save yourself some money instead of going to the dealer.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
also, if it is bad bearing, how much do you guys think that would run?