PDA

View Full Version : WTF... Oil Temperature Gauge goes up and down...

imnotmatt1189
12-05-2007, 08:33 PM
My stock oil temperature gauge keeps going up and down. At first it was just getting really close to the H but then going back down to about a little more than half the way there. then it slowly goes up past the dot and all the way to the H and then back down to a little more than half way again and it does this constantly. WTF. Is there something wrong with my car? I have a completely stock 91 KA24DE. I searched before I posted this thread but didn't find too much. But i read that the stock temperature gauge shouldn't be trusted. Is this true? Anyone else have this problem with their car?

holybushoffire
12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
First; no oil temp. gauge. It's a Coolant temp. gauge.

Second check to make sure you've bled your coolant system correctly and if you have check the sensor.

If it's the sensor go down to whatever auto parts store is near by and pick one up. It shouldn't run you anymore than 20 bucks.

Quigs
12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
You are correct, the stock gauge is not exactly the most accurate of instruments...

If the needle is moving in a jerky motion, then it could be a short in the wiring. My friend's coupe did the same thing, and it ended up being a bad ground.

However, assuming you coolant level is correct and there isn't any leaking, it could be the thermostat acting up, which is what happened with my roommate's KA. If the gauge is moving smoothly up and down the scale, then there is less chance of it being electrical and more chance of it being a cooling issue. Make sure the water pump is going through the cycles properly and check the thermostat.

I hope that made any sense...I've been studying for finals for the past four hours, so I'm kind of brain dead. Good luck figuring it out, what I said is all I can think if at the moment.