PDA

View Full Version : Open Differential Question?

lrgkevin
12-05-2007, 01:57 AM
I have an s13 with open differential. I understand how an open diff works so someone answer this..... only the left tire spins during cornering. Hard corner going left or right only the left tire spins. I was under the impression that an open diff allowed the inner wheel to spin faster than the outer wheel so why does this happen going left or right?

set up:
stock sr20det
open diff
stance coilovers
hankook rs-2 205-50r16 in front 225-45r16 in the back
aligned by Hiro's Auto

example 1:
I can dori dori in the rain going to the right because the left wheel being the outside wheel will spin.
I can't dori dori when I go to the left because the left wheel just spins and the car stalls in the middle of the turn.

I've actually felt my car stopping during the middle of a left hand turn because the inner wheel is just lighting up. Someone please tell me what's going on.

thejapino
12-05-2007, 02:24 AM
Open diff. will transfer all power to the wheel with the least traction. Usually its the inner wheel when cornering but if its always one wheel, then it may mean somethings uneven. Shot subframe bushings, unevenly adjusted coilovers, bent subframe, cut springs, one tire balder than the other, etc. all could cause this to happen.

downshift_sideways
12-05-2007, 02:25 AM
If you type in "open diff" in the search box, you will get information up the ass.

exitspeed
12-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Discussed to open diff death.

Search.