PDA

View Full Version : Haltech E8 vs AEM PNP

drftmark
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I need help on deciding which EMS to go with. My goal is 350whp reliable. Right now I am stuck between the AEM pnp with uego wideband vs. the Haltech e8 pnp. I can get the AEM for cheaper WITH the wideband than the Haltech e8 and they are both plug and play. I want to know which comes with what like electronic boost controller, map sensor etc etc And if it doesn't come with them how much do they cost extra. I see the the Haltech comes with MAP sensor but cant see if the AEM comes with it.

I also am wondering about if AEM has a shift light that can be hooked up like the Haltech does.

I have an s15 sr20det, with no VVT, I have 256/256 cams with a gt2871r .86ar.
and I am unsure which injector size I should get for 350whp. I'm thinking either 555cc or 740cc. I am leaning towards the 740cc incase I ever want higher numbers.

So if you could give me your opinions/experience between either EMS that would give me 350whp reliably, that would be awesome.

steve shadows
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I love my Haltech to death wouldnt trade it for any other ems.

When you add up how much you get for x dollars with haltech its more.

The Resolution is 32x32

The AEM is 20x20 IIRC

and you get about 30 different correction maps.

The boost controller solenoid is only an additional 100 bucks to pick up and it two wires that wire into one of the ECM Plugs.

If you are unable to say wire an AFC to your Stock harness or install a boost controller the AEM might be better. But if you are buying an unlocked EMS in the first place I should hope you can insert a couple pins into a plug for a boost controller solenoid.

The Haltech EMS Kit can be had with boost control plug and play kit, MAP and AIT sensor for about 1480-1500 on the web.

You also get

1. Anti-Lag
2. Adjustable 2nd step rev limit
3. The ECU has 4 SEPERATE Ignition Drivers on the board.
Not one or two like the AEM which divides pulse or signal for fire.

The Haltech is the best bang for the buck imo + If you ever want to use it on another car you just pick up another different patch harness for 190 bucks and plug it right in, load the map for that vehicle and go.

When you drop the money on an AEM you basically have to use it on that Engine forever and discard or sell it when your done.

Thats my opinion if I had to compare both.

Any tuner that can figure out an AEM EMS should have no trouble mastering the Halwin software in about an hour also.

MegasquirtCA
12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I 2nd the Haltech even though Im a Megasquirt whore ;). Isnt AEM having problems with the SR20 CAS disc? I remember John talkin about that on here.

Steve can the haltech system use the GM Boost controller, since its PWM?

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/images/GM_BoostSol1.jpg

drftmark
12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I like how I can use the Haltech in other applications. I think I would get it from RPsport.

eastcoastS14
12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
is it true that other EMS like haltec AEM and power FC have to be adjusted for shit like the temp outside when temp changes?? I heard that but I wasnt sure <<<tuning n00b

Matt Cramer
12-04-2007, 07:30 AM
is it true that other EMS like haltec AEM and power FC have to be adjusted for shit like the temp outside when temp changes?? I heard that but I wasnt sure <<<tuning n00b

Most ECUs have some sort of temperature compensation tables. They do need to have their cold start and warm up sequence dialed in if the supplier doesn't have a map for your engine, but once it's dialed in it stays that way.

steve shadows
12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I 2nd the Haltech even though Im a Megasquirt whore ;). Isnt AEM having problems with the SR20 CAS disc? I remember John talkin about that on here.

Steve can the haltech system use the GM Boost controller, since its PWM?

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/images/GM_BoostSol1.jpg

Yes

Don't forget it has closed loop AFR control and 30 different correction maps you can configure for everything from Baro, to Altitude and Air Temp.

It's the poor mans motec system

The Power FC has correction parameters but you have to configure them, I am pretty sure the MAP based AEM has an AIT sensor but again you have to tune the correction parameters to ensure it adjusts properly.

Haltech comes ready to roll with a decent correction map. I will be re-positioning my Air Intake Temp sensor next month into the Cold Pipe so It sees more real time temp changes over the gradient and then tuning my correction map.

It's very handy if you don't want your AFR going from 11:1 to 12:1 because of a 50 degree drop in temperature.