PDA

View Full Version : SR20 startup- white smoke?

onesicklambo
11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
guys-
started up my Sr last week and gettin it dialed in.. when I give it a little rev it tends to engulf me in smoke..lol
-COuld it be a brand new turbo breaking in?(gt30r)
-Oil drain plugged up not letting it drain?
-I installed a new greddy 1.2mm headgasket and tourqued to specs. headgasket?
-I am running open downpipe?(for now)
-Timing off? I have enthapy flash now...need a safc to fine tune
-just an old SR motor hasnt been fired up in a long time?
-the valve cover port that goes to the catch can is not hooked up yet(nor the crank case valve)?
im just runnin some ideas in my head...anyone else have a suggestion let me know!
cheers!!!

steve_o1989
11-28-2007, 09:31 PM
White is usually coolant? Does it have a sweet smell to it?

onesicklambo
11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
no smells like exhaust

nissanguy13
11-28-2007, 09:37 PM
any excess moisture in the tail pipe?

onesicklambo
11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
^ im running open downpipe until my exhaust is fabbed

nissanguy13
11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
^ im running open downpipe until my exhaust is fabbed

Okay, what about in the down pipe, or on the ground below it?

dorkidori_s13
11-28-2007, 09:42 PM
may just be excess oil burning off from getting on the pistons after all the headwork...i can imagine this wouldnt be uncommon...has the smoking stopped after the running the car a bit more???

also...are you running stock lines or steel braided on the turbo???

dorkidori_s13
11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
White is usually coolant? Does it have a sweet smell to it?

not always...oil burns white as well when you have a oil leak in the turbo...or bad piston rings

onesicklambo
11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Okay, what about in the down pipe, or on the ground below it?

no, moisture free

Its a brand new gt30..could it really be bad??? I have TAKA oil/water lines..They are braided. OIL IN/OUT matter on the turbo? its a top mount

Ive probably ran it for a total of 10min off and on? I havent timed it yet...just made sure the TPS is @ 5v
this is how the turbos mounte feed on top
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/mesojdm/DSC08934.jpg

dorkidori_s13
11-28-2007, 10:15 PM
may want to comp. check your motor...make sure ur block is good (ie: no bad rings)...again...it may be just a bit of oil on your pistons themselves...a few drops will create HUGE plumes of white smoke from your exhaust

onesicklambo
01-01-2008, 01:46 PM
UPDATE-
I cant get my motor to start!!! wtf. Took it over to a friends who knows sr's prety well and after a few hours of trouble shooting still nothing! what weve done-
-took out all plugs and coil pack...its getting spark
-Fuel is spraying form the injecotrs..so we have fuel
-set the CAS @ TDC
-Took valve cover off make surem Cams are in right...they are
-ECU has power, and start signal "orange"
-PLugs gapped accordingly(.28-.30)

It just cranks and cranks and cranks:( BOOOOOO.
ONly thing that is weird....is after 5 min we take the plugs out again and they are SOAKED....SO i dont know if the ECU is prog. right, or sparying TOO much fuel. So I left it with him hopefully itll be running. Anyone have any other ideas?

SoSideways
01-01-2008, 02:14 PM
The CAS could be installed 180* out.

Make sure the cam lobes from the 1st cyl are facing away from each other at TDC, that denotes you're actually at TDC on the compression stroke.

onesicklambo
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
^ I/E cam lobes are facing AWAY from eachother @ TDC, cyl 1 piston is at the top. The CAS with the little yellow dot is staright up..and wever tryed moving it at different postions tooth by tooth. I was wondering if the ECU could be fried...but when spun the CAS it was energizing the injecotrs and theres spark going to all plugs so the ECU is doing SOMEHTING. could it be a bad flash(from enthalpy?) its weird because my motor turned over and ran ok before..now it doesnt want to show life at all. DAMNNN

onesicklambo
01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
thanks for all the input guys-
The shop got it running yesterday
injector #1 and 2 were backwards and the ECU wasnt tightend down all the way(10mm bolt)

sliksta1
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
did you ever figure out the white smoke problem? i have the same issue with my 240. on cold starts only it will smoke(white). after letting it warm up i take it for a spin and just boosting it up once it clears out the smoke. and from there on out i dont get any smoke. i also have a 3" straight exhaust w/ just the muffler and im running a redtop sr in it. any idea what maybe the problem.

bo2o
04-21-2008, 05:09 PM
man that downpipe is close!

0wn3r
04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
and the ECU wasnt tightend down all the way(10mm bolt)

what does that have anything to do w/ it

onesicklambo
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
^ it wasnt running. It doesnt smoke anymore musta just been cuz it hasnt started in a long time