PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed swap questions

nep
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
1996 s14 SE

alright, ill get straight to it. the fuse box has many plugs, and im starting to realize a lot of them are just for automatic sensors, right? heres a pic:

http://upshizzle.com/pfiles/6212/IMAGE_00071.jpg

ive highlighted in red what i assume are plugs for the auto stuff, with the exception of the 3 one down which is for the backup lamp switch. my 5 speed harness has none of the auto plugs obviously, but it does have two more that i assume connect where ive circled in green. one plugs in, the other does not. im using this website: http://www.ka24development.com/cwilf...lectrical.html

and its helping me, but im still struggling to make sense of everything. im assuming the other plug that does not plug in contains the wires for the 5th position sensor and neutral position sensor, which is why i have to splice into the ecu to obtain those wires? i guess thats my main concern. thanks.

DALAZ_68
11-27-2007, 11:02 AM
year/ of car...

if ur near dodger staium i can go and take a look

nep
11-27-2007, 11:16 AM
year/ of car...

if ur near dodger staium i can go and take a look

edited my post to reflect year (1996)

unfortunately I'm in north san diego county, but appreciate the gesture. should anyone come down they are also agreeing to help stab the trans in :x:

Turtle
11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
You're too far... I took off the auto transmission and put on the new one 5 speed all by myself couple months ago. Took forever but, I did it. I was 14. =] Shouldn't be that hard is what I'm saying.

AllShowNoGo28
12-01-2007, 10:49 AM
im also working on my 96 se, dropping the motor n tranny tonight hopefully if all goes well. goodluck with swap

JDS Performance
12-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Complete s13-s14 5 speed swap DVD - $35.00US shipped anywhere in the US - you will not be disapointed - so much info not found on the net!

http://www.240sxtechdvds.org/5SpeedSwapDVD.html

NemeGuero
12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Complete s13-s14 5 speed swap DVD - $35.00US shipped anywhere in the US - you will not be disapointed - so much info not found on the net!

http://www.240sxtechdvds.org/5SpeedSwapDVD.html

lol... wow, shameless mang.

To the original poster: Search mu'fucca! I've made several posts linking sites with all the electrical info and everything.
I don't have the bookmarks anymore, but you can find them on Zilvia.

Don't be lazy and waste your money on stuff you dont' need.

JDS Performance
12-01-2007, 10:57 PM
lol... wow, shameless mang.

To the original poster: Search mu'fucca! I've made several posts linking sites with all the electrical info and everything.
I don't have the bookmarks anymore, but you can find them on Zilvia.

Don't be lazy and waste your money on stuff you dont' need.

shameless? I was just trying to help the guy out - as he obviously dont wanna search or he cant find what he is looking for?
That is 1 of the many reasons I make thes videos. :kiss:

davirene
12-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I did one last year on an 89 hatch (two days to complete)....I followed the threads on here put the jumper on the one of the three big relays on the fuse box (so it can start) and left everything elso alone!! Looks more natural and I wasnt to worried about back up lights. Didnt want a bunch of connectors hanging not plugged in. The one that is jumpered to start your car you can't even see!

The main problem I had that I didnt find mentioned here is the tranny bell housing bolts...I used all of the Automated tranny bolts and found that 2 bolts on the starter are 1/2 inch longer on the 5spd. Took me about an hour to figure that one out...solved my problem by going to PICK-A-PART salvage yard picked up the 2 and started it up.

JDS Performance
12-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I did one last year on an 89 hatch (two days to complete)....I followed the threads on here put the jumper on the one of the three big relays on the fuse box (so it can start) and left everything elso alone!! Looks more natural and I wasnt to worried about back up lights. Didnt want a bunch of connectors hanging not plugged in. The one that is jumpered to start your car you can't even see!

The main problem I had that I didnt find mentioned here is the tranny bell housing bolts...I used all of the Automated tranny bolts and found that 2 bolts on the starter are 1/2 inch longer on the 5spd. Took me about an hour to figure that one out...solved my problem by going to PICK-A-PART salvage yard picked up the 2 and started it up.

there are quite a few things like that - I found out the hard way - plus I did mine where everything works, (95 ODBII) installed a 5 speed booster and pedal, wired everything up, used the 5 speed ecu - there are quite a few universal with the auto - 5 speed - s13 -s14

you can always do it the fast cheap way too though - but I hate getting stuck in the middle of no where land

g6civcx
12-02-2007, 07:48 AM
As far as wiring goes, make sure you remove the key lock mechanism that prevents key removal in anything other than Park.

Make sure you bypass the inhibitor switch that prevents the starter from cranking in anything other than Park or Neutral. Don't install the clutch interlock circuit that comes stock on 5-speed. Just be sure to be in Neutral when you start.

Everything else should be the same provided you have a complete 5-speed gearbox with all the sensor.

Only the speedo and reverse light switch needs to be connected. Everything else can be left unplugged with no effect.

There will be a few plugs that have nothing to plug into once the auto is out but you can tuck them or remove.