PDA

View Full Version : cooling system problem

NorCalEvo
11-26-2007, 08:03 PM
So here is my problem,

I have a 1990 hatchback with a KA24DE swap in it. So recently my temp guage decides to be a biotch and spike to the red on me. Happened only for a few seconds or so then it came back to normal. So to play it safe i checked the cooling system and ended up replacing the waterpump and also the thermostat. Now when i fire the thing up and drive for a few minutes it goes all the way to hot and wont come down. Now im like WTF, usually when you replace parts, the shit is supposed to run better not worse.

I checked for leaks but there are none in the cooling system, i refilled the system with coolant as well. It all checks out and looks good but now my car wont run the right temp.

I ran a pressure test on the system and everything is A O K.

Any thoughts?

Help is appreciated.

Xandy Boosts
11-26-2007, 10:09 PM
jack up the front end to make the radiator cap the highest point

then bleed bleed bleed the system

I didn't do it thorough enough and blew my headgasket again

open the cap, turn the car on and watch for bubbles, keep refilling

I think you're also supposed to put the heater to full blast on HOT also but I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in.

good luck man

PS. What I also like to do to prevent coolant from spilling. Grab a bottle of water or something, cut it in half and put the cap side into the radiator hole. Then fill the bottle half way up with coolant or distilled water and watch the bubbles come!

jsuh s14
11-26-2007, 10:14 PM
are you sure the thermostat is functional?

EAT Motorsports
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
I wouldnt worry to much about it, just make sure you got all the air bubbles out, it could have been just an air bubble or could be the sensor treaking out.

NorCalEvo
11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
I seem to have solved the problem. I didnt know about this but a simple call just now to my dad, (a seasoned mechanic) and i have a possible solution. So I was told, depending on the thermostat that you purchase (some have this and some dont) there is a little pin or stem on one side of the thermostat, if you have a thermostat that has this, then that pin must sit at the 12 o'clock position when re-installed onto the motor. It acts as a breather for steam and assists in controlling the opening and closing of the thermostat. I am pretty positive i didnt put the thermostat back in the correct position, so tomorrow morning I will pull it apart again and make sure. But im 90% positive that is my problem. Hell learn something new everyday.

Gnnr
11-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I wouldnt worry to much about it, just make sure you got all the air bubbles out, it could have been just an air bubble or could be the sensor treaking out.

Thats terrible advice. Overheating is definitely something you should worry about.

Go get the FSM for the KADE and follow the steps to bleed the system for air. I'm assuming your using a 50/50 coolant mix and you installed an OEM thermostat correctly. Are you using the stock clutch fan with the shroud (most important part).

mangoes
11-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Are you using the stock clutch fan with the shroud (most important part).

^^agreed. stock fan shroud makes a huuuuuuuge difference, remember to put it back =D.

g6civcx
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Ignore the stock temp gauge completely.

What you need is either a real temp gauge, or your local shop should have a thermostat that can be inserted into the radiator.

It should cost no more than $15-20 or should be free.

jackjack
11-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I seem to have solved the problem. I didnt know about this but a simple call just now to my dad, (a seasoned mechanic) and i have a possible solution. So I was told, depending on the thermostat that you purchase (some have this and some dont) there is a little pin or stem on one side of the thermostat, if you have a thermostat that has this, then that pin must sit at the 12 o'clock position when re-installed onto the motor. It acts as a breather for steam and assists in controlling the opening and closing of the thermostat. I am pretty positive i didnt put the thermostat back in the correct position, so tomorrow morning I will pull it apart again and make sure. But im 90% positive that is my problem. Hell learn something new everyday.

sounds good. try that, and like everyone else said bleed the system as well. first time i changed the thermostat i didnt bleed it enough/correctly, and the gauge shot up after a block of driving. just double check everything and you should be good to go.