PDA

View Full Version : HID Retrofit Question

Tops*
11-20-2007, 11:09 PM
First of all, I want to thank Anto for educating me about HID's and introducing me to HID Planet.

After driving around with one headlight since the beginning of fall, I'm now finally getting around to the fixing phase. It turns out that one of the ballasts had fried from my drop-in China kit. After seeing how amazing my friend's retro was, I decided to take a similar route. I bought TSX projectors, TL ballasts/ignitors, and 85122+ bulbs. As far as wiring goes, how should I connect the ballast? Would a TL wiring harness work with an S14? Is hardwiring from the relay a safe option? Give me input.

mmdb
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
The safe route would to create a new harness. Have the existing harness trigger a relay which, when on, supplies 12 volt to the ballast/ignitor to turn on the HIDs. You'll also need fuses. Good luck.

dops13
11-20-2007, 11:21 PM
HID planet has some wiring diagrams.

Tops*
11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
HID planet has some wiring diagrams.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6612&highlight=wiring+diagram

Indeed. Good call.

fliprayzin240sx
11-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Or you can go to Ebay and buy a headllight relay kit. Thats what I did on my S14 when i did my HID retrofit. $20 thats honestly worth the money. Comes with all the wires, 2 relays and basically plug and play.

Tops*
11-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Or you can go to Ebay and buy a headllight relay kit. Thats what I did on my S14 when i did my HID retrofit. $20 thats honestly worth the money. Comes with all the wires, 2 relays and basically plug and play.

I'll have to see how much making my own harness will cost. Buying an already made harness is definitely an option though.

www.partsexpress.com carries all the parts you will need for your own harness if anyone else is interested in making their own.

fliprayzin240sx
11-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Building the harness yourself will cost roughly $12-15. Then all the work to splice the wires together. I opted with the harness cuz the plugs will plug into the stock headlight harness. Hardest part is clipping the battery for the main power and grounding the negative.

ixfxi
11-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Building the harness yourself will cost roughly $12-15. Then all the work to splice the wires together. I opted with the harness cuz the plugs will plug into the stock headlight harness. Hardest part is clipping the battery for the main power and grounding the negative.

Building a cheap harness is not expensive.

Building a good harness can get expensive, depending on who you're talking to.

Basic harness should cost about 20-30 dollars of parts, depending on whether or not you have access to heavy gauge wire. If you do, then you can make one for as little as 10 dollars.

However, if you want weatherproof connectors, high-temp heavy gauge wiring, and OE-style connectors.. you can easily hit the 100-200 dollar mark depending on how many relays you'll be running. Obviously, an H4 headlamp has high and low, so you'll need two relays to accommodate.

-m