PDA

View Full Version : Remote start on manual safe?

nookie
01-13-2002, 05:25 PM
i just got my 98 240sx SE. YIPPIE =). first thing im putting in is my alarm to protect my baby. the alarm i want has the remote start feature. it says that its not available for manuals but i work at circuit city and the guys in the roadshop dept. said that they would do it for me. i know that its illegal to have it on manuals but man i live in seattle and i freeze my ass of waiting in the car. so am i asking is it safe to  have the remote start? because i've heard stories where people have left their car in gear and tried starting their car. then their car jerks forward and hits the car in front of them. i dont leave the car in gear when i park so i shouldn't have to worry about it then rite? do any of u guys have any info, opinions, or stories to tell to help me decide? thanks.

(Edited by nookie at 5:27 pm on Jan. 13, 2002)

samiam
01-13-2002, 05:34 PM
My friend has the remote start on a stick. Just make sure you always have a good break setup (ie...good fluid level, good break pads, not to much slack on the safety brake) Always pull that brake handle to a good firm setting when you stop.......and never, never leave it in gear and you should be cool.

nismo270r
01-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Umm....sorry samiam, but just having good brakes is not going to cut it.  Luckily 240SX's have a neutral position switch.  I just wired up a Sidewinder 6500ESP with auto start on my '96 SE 5-Speed no problems.  The wire that goes to the parking switch sensor (not sure if that was what it was called in the manual, but it's the wire that disengages the auto start if the car isn't in Park) can be tapped into the neutral position switch sensor on your 240SX.  To find your neutral position switch wire, I would either get a factory service manual and look it up in there, or go to your local Nissan dealer and ask someone in the service department to see one of theirs.  Once you figure out what wire it is coming from the ECU, just have the guys putting the alarm in splice the wire I mentioned above into it, and you'll be good to go.  My car won't start if it's in any gear, and if the car is remote started while in neutral, and you push the gear shifter into a gear, it will shut off.  Also, you'll need to bypass the switch that requires the clutch to be depressed to start the car.  If you look under your dash, push your clutch pedal all the way back.  Look behind it, and there should be a small switch that looks like a little black button.  There is a small, circular piece of metal that sticks out off of the clutch arm that depresses that switch when the clutch is pushed in.  Behind that button, there is a clip with two wires coming out of it.  Take the clip off, solder the two wires together and your done.  Good luck!

AZN GTR
01-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Definitely get it, because I got one, but in an auto.  That thing is awesome, it just saves me time and save me from the cold.  Every morning after breakfast and everything, I press the button, then go brush my teeth and go out in the car, and it's already warm.  And it's probably better for the car, because I heard it's not good to run the car when the engine is cold and before I got the remote starter, I am just in too much of a rush in the morning to warm up the car before I go.  But now i got a problem, the car is having problems starting in the cold, I have a post in the tech talk "Changing spark plugs", can someone please read that and help me out???  Thanks.

nookie
01-13-2002, 08:34 PM
thanks nismo270r for the reply. but seems like alot of work. did u do the install yourself or someone else? i dont have too much experience with cars so im just learning. u think the guys that are installing it with me would know? i guess i'll just ask them tomorrow.

nismo270r
01-13-2002, 10:07 PM
If they've had experience putting in alarms, they should know, but I don't know if they'll know where the wire is on your car since it's probably not in their manual.  I'll see if I can dig up my manual and tell you which wire it is.  It's probably the same one for your car as well.

nookie
01-13-2002, 10:23 PM
thanks alot nismo270r. that would help alot.

fadenb
01-13-2002, 10:31 PM
hey if you want to add auto start your in good luck. since you work for the city you guys sell the dei alarms. dei makes clifford,viper and dei. buy any G4 series alarms i belive circuit sells the ace500 and higher, and also the auto start. G4 has a buit in safty for man. trans. you can not start the car in gear it will send a warning tone to tell you if your in gear.  I work for Goodguys in cali. if you cant buy the g4 ace500 in wash. you can add a auto start by accel goodguys carries this aswell as all g4 prod. it works fine in my 95 easy install about 1 hr to add on.  if you cant do either you can add a magnetic switch to yor neutrel position as a closed circuit. any alarm with avail options will see a closed ciruit and only activate auto start when in the nuetral pos.  hope this will help

samiam
01-13-2002, 10:53 PM
Sorry i didnt feel like getting too technical, but any idiot with a standard should realize you have to bypass the clutch and on position by splicing a couple wires; that's a given.

nookie
01-13-2002, 11:12 PM
yeah i want the dei viper550esp. we get it for mass cheap man i bet u guys do too

nismo270r
01-13-2002, 11:21 PM
It's not only bypassing the clutch, but most manual cars out there don't have a neutral position switch...which makes it a headache for an auto start.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from samiam on 12:53 am on Jan. 14, 2002
Sorry i didnt feel like getting too technical, but any idiot with a standard should realize you have to bypass the clutch and on position by splicing a couple wires; that's a given.
</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

nismo270r
01-13-2002, 11:25 PM
I don't know if they're still the same, but when Clifford's first alarm came out for an auto start on a manual tranny, it was kind of stupid what one had to do just to start their car remotely. &nbsp;First when you park, put the e-brake on, take it out of gear, push two buttons on the remote, wait for your car to unlock, get out without touching the brake (if you did, you'd have to start this whole process over again), close your door and arm the car. &nbsp;Then the car would shut down, and you would be able to auto start it. &nbsp;We put on on a friend of mine's Del Sol, and she didn't like it after awhile, because you had to do that everytime you wanted to autostart your car. &nbsp;And sometimes it didn't work...PITA...I hope they've changed them for the better now...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from fadenb on 12:31 am on Jan. 14, 2002
hey if you want to add auto start your in good luck. since you work for the city you guys sell the dei alarms. dei makes clifford,viper and dei. buy any G4 series alarms i belive circuit sells the ace500 and higher, and also the auto start. G4 has a buit in safty for man. trans. you can not start the car in gear it will send a warning tone to tell you if your in gear. I work for Goodguys in cali. if you cant buy the g4 ace500 in wash. you can add a auto start by accel goodguys carries this aswell as all g4 prod. it works fine in my 95 easy install about 1 hr to add on. if you cant do either you can add a magnetic switch to yor neutrel position as a closed circuit. any alarm with avail options will see a closed ciruit and only activate auto start when in the nuetral pos. hope this will help
</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>