PDA

View Full Version : torn rear caliper boot

pbcstylez
11-11-2007, 11:46 AM
How long can I continue to drive like this? I just saw this last night when i was doing my brakes, and it was too late at night to go get a reman'd one.

Any suggestions? how bad can this possibly be? I am assuming this has always been there, but the pads on this side show less wear than the passenger side?

Please advise.

Thanks,

aznpoopy
11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
if the boot on the piston is bad, i would not drive on it. brake fluid is going to come out of there.

if the boot on the sliding pin is bad, it is not that serious. its an easy fix though, so get it done before the sliding pin gets seized from dirt and debris

pwhitersxs
11-11-2007, 12:15 PM
It is just a dust boot. If you are not losing any brake fluid and your caliper is not seized, you can drive on it. Although, I would not recommend it. If that was me, I would get a new one as soon as possible.

statik
11-11-2007, 12:37 PM
if the boot on the piston is bad, i would not drive on it. brake fluid is going to come out of there.

There is an o-ring inside the caliper that prevents fluid from leaking past the piston, the boot on the outside is just a dust boot, if it's torn just buy a rebuild kit, but it won't really harm anything short term.

pbcstylez
11-11-2007, 02:40 PM
thanks guys, i think its the friggin dust boot, i think ill just get a new pair of calipers and rotors while i'm at it

slideways14
11-11-2007, 06:07 PM
yea the 240's brakes do that in the rear becuase you have to turn the piston in as you decompress it. usually it will be okay to drive on, but eventually it will start leaking and your caliper will cease and that sucks

pbcstylez
11-12-2007, 10:39 AM
ya, i will replacing calipers n rotors maybe this weekend to mate up with the new pads out back