PDA

View Full Version : lsd vs. vlsd

whereda40at
11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
what is the differnce in those two? i have searched for the differances and the good vs. bad of the two and got tired of looking.

which is better for what? drift? drag? can some one help me out. maybe make a sticky out of it.

btw mine is for drag.

thanks for any help

undesiredshoe
11-06-2007, 12:15 AM
drag...welded

whereda40at
11-06-2007, 02:34 AM
ok that didnt answer anything for me. i still have to drive the car. i dont wana go hop hop hop around every turn i go. its not driven every day but i still dont want it to hop around every turn i go.

can some one explain to me what i want to know.

!Zar!
11-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Vlsd is only good for selling to someone who doesn't want an open.

If you're going for drag, a spool or a welded diff would be the best bet.

Your car won't hop bad if you have good tires and a solid sub frame.

image12
11-06-2007, 02:53 AM
For drag racing welded diffs have proven to give reliable quality Performance with a cheap price. As you get into cars you learn those are 3 aspects are almost never all together Quality - reliability - cheap in most cases you pick 2

cdlong
11-06-2007, 05:07 AM
a VLSD is a type of LSD. LSD is a general term. here, read this. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential4.htm a nissan HLSD is a version of the torsen in the link.

a clutch type is probably better if you have a good amount of cash to spend, otherwise, man up and weld it.

aznpoopy
11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
there's a archive faq thread about lsd differences. check there
this forum doesn't sticky every commonly asked question at the top, or else you wouldn't see new posts until the second page

VLSD is good for daily because you hardly notice it
VLSD is bad for everything else because you hardly notice it

for racing and drifting and clunking get a 2 way
for comfy streetability compromise and light racing get a s15 hlsd
for i want full lock 24/7 and got no/don't want to spend money get a welded

sounds like you'd be happiest with option 2

steve shadows
11-06-2007, 09:53 AM
drag...welded

I wouldnt want to have an emergency at 140mph trap speeds and then take my foot OUT of a welded diff car.

I would die

whereda40at
11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
there's a archive faq thread about lsd differences. check there
this forum doesn't sticky every commonly asked question at the top, or else you wouldn't see new posts until the second page

VLSD is good for daily because you hardly notice it
VLSD is bad for everything else because you hardly notice it

for racing and drifting and clunking get a 2 way
for comfy streetability compromise and light racing get a s15 hlsd
for i want full lock 24/7 and got no/don't want to spend money get a welded

sounds like you'd be happiest with option 2

well its not like im some minor racer. im building a fast ass 240. i have an sr20 and am almost done with the 2.35 brian crower stroker. next i have to do my drivetrain before i get a bigger turbo. some have heard me talk about it. i just do have a car that can tow the car to the track and dont have a trailer either. so i have to be able to drive it. if welding the diff is safe and cheap and reliable then ill go for that. but why are you sayin to would die at 140 mph steve??

!Zar!
11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I wouldnt want to have an emergency at 140mph trap speeds and then take my foot OUT of a welded diff car.

I would die

steve shadows
11-06-2007, 12:03 PM
1. try it.
2. get the car up to 120 while flooring it.
3. completely release foot on gas.
4. enjoy

bizzman
11-06-2007, 12:13 PM
since we are on diff's. I have a S14 with a SR and a NA 300zx VLSD diff. She runs fine till I hit 90MPH and then and there after it sounds like a desiel engine from a train is back there. Scares the shit out of me. I made sure there is fluid in it and there is but it still does it. I think i may have a diff going bad but my friend says its the bearings, I think my friend is an idiot..

whereda40at
11-06-2007, 12:15 PM
1. try it.
4. enjoy
im prolly goin to get red boxes for this but i cant tell if you are being a smart ass or not. sorry its the fact you cant show emotion over the internet.

steve shadows
11-06-2007, 12:25 PM
no im serious

its not easy to control a car with a welded diff in that scenario

if you have an airport runway with lots of room go try it.

throttle WOT

throttle OFF

120-130 mph on any tires other than hoosiers or victaracers

azndoc
11-06-2007, 12:26 PM
LSD>VLSD

For drifting at least by far.

It's like fucking cheating.

LongGrain
11-06-2007, 12:27 PM
1. try it.
4. enjoy

ive done it, yea, its scary as shit. but my rear end didnt get too far out of line.

steve shadows
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
LSD>VLSD

For drifting at least by far.

It's like fucking cheating.

yes but not for grip in my experience.

2 way clutch lsd so far for me is not better for grip

most of the time its a pain in the ass.

I mean you can adapt your driving to anything...but

Im going to a helical next.

2-way is so much fun though (for drifting), you just oversteer punch it and find a neutral spot in the steering and let the car do the work for you. :)

whereda40at
11-06-2007, 12:53 PM
well i have 295 drag radials would i be fine with those. i will eventualy be gettin m/t or some other type of slick for the track

!Zar!
11-06-2007, 01:01 PM
1. try it.
4. enjoy

Last I remember, I hit 115 in a car with welded diff on bald rt-215's and I'm still alive.

Damn. Must be some magic.

Maybe I should try hitting 115 with a welded and federal's eh?

Anyways, WORST case if the car were to be unstable, you could clutch.

Er wait.

Maybe your car just needs alignment.

2way/spool is SO much better than an open or vlsd. For grip/drift/hardparking it rocks. Only people who can't drive on a competition style setup are those who lack driving skill.

The reason your rear becomes unstable is if you are putting in the wrong inputs. So to me, it isn't about adaptation, but about learning proper driving etiquette. Sounds more like a personal problem than a car problem.

nevaland9
11-06-2007, 01:08 PM
just weld the diff and do subframe spacers...i used to clunk around everywhere with the stock subframe bushings but since i did the collars i cant even tell i have a welded anymore, unless the window is down.

just shut up and hop hop everywhere, its a race car thats never driven..who cares.

my car has deff been 150+ with a welded diff on a bank and deff 100+ on a turn with complete traction. im not sure what the issue with high speed and a welded diff is.

man up, get a good alignment & buy a decent diff, you cant win with these cars cutting corners is expensive. do it right the first time.

VLSD FTL

Sonic Motor
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
2 way LSD FTW

steve shadows
11-06-2007, 03:40 PM
2 way LSD FTW

thats all im trying to say

get the 2 way.

welded is just not for me or you

or if you are drag only get a quaiffe 1 way.

tre
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Unless your're running 10inch slicks in the rear for daily driver. Welded is the way to go. ALWAYS constant. No variables, no guessing. ALWAYS the same.

And cheapest lol. If you're going to weld it yourself, don't be a dumbass do it the right way. Its about a 4 or 5 hour process. But hey. I put 60,000 on a welded diff, never broke.

steve shadows
11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
there is no right way to ruin an oem nissan rear differential with weld

only wrong

2 way 2 way 2 way 2 way 2 way 2 way

and buy it from Phase2

because they rock

MomentumGT
11-06-2007, 05:07 PM
thats all im trying to say

get the 2 way.

welded is just not for me or you

or if you are drag only get a quaiffe 1 way.

Definitely agree with the 1 way if you're sticking with drag, as you said previously. Could be wrong but who needs a diff to be locked on deceleration in a drag race? A 2 way, in road racing, creates very noticeable understeer on deceleration coming into a corner. Toss in some hard braking and the rear starts to get light and unsettled causing the rear end to step out in our experience. We switched to a 1.5 way and it alleviated a lot of the initial understeer on deceleration just by swapping alone.

-Jon

240trooper
11-06-2007, 05:32 PM
my friend has 2x2 and it works pretty good, u just got that clicking noice when you dont have ur foot on the gas going round a turn, vlsd is just stock SE ,works good but its just not that storng. the reason why most 240 have open is so dumasses do go fast and drop the gas round turn ul lose conrol. my advice get a 1.5x2 or 2x2 , or just be cheap and get a vlsd

!Zar!
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
my friend has 2x2 and it works pretty good, u just got that clicking noice when you dont have ur foot on the gas going round a turn, vlsd is just stock SE ,works good but its just not that storng. the reason why most 240 have open is so dumasses do go fast and drop the gas round turn ul lose conrol. my advice get a 1.5x2 or 2x2 , or just be cheap and get a vlsd

WRONG. Way to spread misinformation.

The vlsd was an option as it was/is with most cars. Why increase price on a car when the women who bought it wouldn't even notice it?

And as for the 2way > lsd statement. They both will come from behind you if you give improper throttle inputs.

tre
11-06-2007, 09:01 PM
there is no right way to ruin an oem nissan rear differential with weld

only wrong

2 way 2 way 2 way 2 way 2 way 2 way

and buy it from Phase2

because they rock

Out of curiosity, have you even used a welded?

xpl2007
11-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Very Bias!
LSD Wich one 1.5 2 way all those for drag are good i would say 2 way is sick.. Becarefull.
VLSD good to start with to drift and safe.
Welded sucks ass i never seen anyone put it down. Pro or street! Good fore newbies that just want to spin out!!
Just what i have seen on the street and track!

whereda40at
11-06-2007, 09:20 PM
well what 1.5 or 2 way would i get from phase2 they have for street but not for race. and which one is good from others experiance. kaaz? nismo? tomie??

Andrew Bohan
11-06-2007, 09:27 PM
i have seen folks put it down with welded

things work right if you do it right.
that's true for most things in life.

!Zar!
11-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Very Bias!
LSD Wich one 1.5 2 way all those for drag are good i would say 2 way is sick.. Becarefull.
VLSD good to start with to drift and safe.
Welded sucks ass i never seen anyone put it down. Pro or street! Good fore newbies that just want to spin out!!
Just what i have seen on the street and track!

You are full of fail.

!!chuy!!
11-06-2007, 09:57 PM
ive done it, yea, its scary as shit. but my rear end didnt get too far out of line.
wy does that happen...thats my question?

titoray
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Welded duz suck ass.. I dont care how good you are. Lets see any pro Japanese drivers have?? No!
Cusco lsd 2 way or 1.5 is sick... I have tride them all. Welded is like drifting in the rain on a good 2 way. Sucks! But out here in the states there are no mountains so straight or a j turn YEAH!!! Welded! G@Y! Try that shit in GMR and your dead!

titoray
11-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Last I remember, I hit 115 in a car with welded diff on bald rt-215's and I'm still alive.

Damn. Must be some magic.

Maybe I should try hitting 115 with a welded and federal's eh?

Anyways, WORST case if the car were to be unstable, you could clutch.

Er wait.

Maybe your car just needs alignment.

2way/spool is SO much better than an open or vlsd. For grip/drift/hardparking it rocks. Only people who can't drive on a competition style setup are those who lack driving skill.

The reason your rear becomes unstable is if you are putting in the wrong inputs. So to me, it isn't about adaptation, but about learning proper driving etiquette. Sounds more like a personal problem than a car problem

Next time go 115 in a welded and let of the gas hard and turn!

titoray
11-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Definitely agree with the 1 way if you're sticking with drag, as you said previously. Could be wrong but who needs a diff to be locked on deceleration in a drag race? A 2 way, in road racing, creates very noticeable understeer on deceleration coming into a corner. Toss in some hard braking and the rear starts to get light and unsettled causing the rear end to step out in our experience. We switched to a 1.5 way and it alleviated a lot of the initial understeer on deceleration just by swapping alone.

YES i totaly agree!!

!Zar!
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Welded duz suck ass.. I dont care how good you are. Lets see any pro Japanese drivers have?? No!
Cusco lsd 2 way or 1.5 is sick... I have tride them all. Welded is like drifting in the rain on a good 2 way. Sucks! But out here in the states there are no mountains so straight or a j turn YEAH!!! Welded! G@Y! Try that shit in GMR and your dead!

You have NO idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Welded acts the same way as a 2way.

You spin out because obviously you lack car control/skill.

Stop spreading misinformation. Matter of fact. You just said there aren't any mountains in the united states. LOL. Woah dude. Lay off the weed.

This thread sure shows who does/doesn't know how to drive a car. The rear will only become unstable if you brake WAY too hard; to the point of locking up. Which shouldn't be done in the first place. Or if you give too much gas in a corner. You brake in straights, if you must, lightly in a corner.

Stay on the gas and the car will rotate.

UGH

Next time go 115 in a welded and let of the gas hard and turn!

So In other words, drive like a fucking moron.

nousablenames133
11-06-2007, 10:19 PM
If your car is a daily driver and you don't care about cornering grip, get a VLSD. If you're drag racing there's no lateral load transfer to really need a strong LSD or locker. I've seen videos of an Ivan from the Midwest with a 9 second S14.5 that runs a VLSD fine.

Also, I've driven a 10 second Chevy Nova with a spooled differential. Once you go 1/4 mile you get off the floor and get on the brakes hard. I'm still here. You're strongly over reacting or your car is tuned for too much oversteer.

Illestdrift
11-06-2007, 10:23 PM

... you must only see weak ass drivers then!

!Zar!
11-06-2007, 10:26 PM
If your car is a daily driver and you don't care about cornering grip, get a VLSD. If you're drag racing there's no lateral load transfer to really need a strong LSD or locker. I've seen videos of an Ivan from the Midwest with a 9 second S14.5 that runs a VLSD fine.

Also, I've driven a 10 second Chevy Nova with a spooled differential. Once you go 1/4 mile you get off the floor and get on the brakes hard. I'm still here. You're strongly over reacting or your car is tuned for too much oversteer.

FINALLY. Someone with some damn sense.

chituntang
11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Poor man vlsd
People with extra money lsd

Andrew Bohan
11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
hey if you drive at 200mph and pull the ebrake and turn the wheel you will flip and die

that's why ebrakes and steering wheels are for idiots.

stupids

MyLevinGTZ
11-06-2007, 11:05 PM
LOL at this thread welded bashing.

daily driven 388whp SR welded. i'm not dead, nor have i had any close calls.

this thread is full of fail.

welded is a good cheap, reliable option if done right. weld the gears together, then the gears to the frame. on both sides. that's 16 welds, with a high amperage welder. it won't break.

only issue slowing quickly from high speed....maybe if you have one cut stock spring, 3 normal, and four different sized tires on a curb checked alignment.

2-way>welded for daily, but also VLSD>2-way daily too. pick your poison. FWIW, open>anything for daily.....wtf.

xpl2007
11-07-2007, 01:16 AM
So who puts it down with a welded diff? WHO? .... Dont worry ill wait!........

Koopa Troopa
11-07-2007, 01:32 AM
I'd just buy a clutch type 1 way LSD if I was only using the car for drag racing. It won't hop or skit around corners...

VSLD sucks because the way it works is once the silicon in it heats up it locks... The only thing with that is the silicon stops locking after it gets too hot and eventually the silicon will weaken and stop working...

xpl2007
11-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I will try one and see.. Luke makes got stuff from what i hear. I will see!

whereda40at
11-10-2007, 02:51 PM
will a kaaz or nismo lsd work with the stock pumpkin or no??? and can you use the stock drive shaft or will it not work