PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

BoostinGST
11-05-2007, 08:06 AM
i've been having the notorious car wont go in gear bullshit with my car, well i replaced the clutch fork, TOB, pivot ball, all the clips, slave cyl, etc... i adjusted the pedal then took off the clutch dampener and bled the hell out of the clutch last night then again today... the car goes through gears like normal with the car off. today i was curious so i took the boot out and looked at the TOB on the pressure plate and everything seems good... i put a 2x4 between the seat and the clutch pedal to put pressure and the TOB pushes the pressure plate in... i even bled the clutch to see if it was actually pressed in... anyone have any clues of what to check next??? can the pressure plate still be bad? when i took the tranny off it looked good, no broken teeth or anything.

i put the car up on jack stands and the synchros obviously work because i could get it in the gears but the wheels would start spinning before it went in gear...

Koopa Troopa
11-05-2007, 08:10 AM
They're spinning because the clutch isn't disengaging all the way...

BoostinGST
11-05-2007, 08:13 AM
They're spinning because the clutch isn't disengaging all the way...
i know that... i understand how the clutch works, just dont understand why when the TOB is pushing on the pressure plate correctly

speedjunkie
11-05-2007, 11:38 AM
your car is borken, you need to give it to me

zaneithan
11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
i had this problem, but mine was going into gear really roughly and it turned out that air was getting in to the system because of a bad master cylinder, it took 3 new master cylinders before i got one that was not defective...

BoostinGST
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
the car was bled and the TOB seems to press on the pressure plate enough... anyone else have any ideas???

nissandr1ft
11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Check my thread about the RPS Max Street... mines doing the same thing. Im 90% sure its my pressure plate, have you checked to see how much your slave cylinder is moving?

steve shadows
11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
you could always upgrade the slave, that usually solves this problem.

or you can shim the pressure plate bolts between the PP and the flywheel where they go through to distance the PP from the Flywheel slightly and allow the clutch to actually be depressed through range of motion.

contranication
11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
If you have the car on jackstands and in gear with the engine off and clutch pressed in are you able to spin the wheels?

if not then obviously your slave isn't travelling far enough to release the clutch... solution: well for me I gravity bled the master by undoing it from the firewall raising it up at least 6 inches above the engine bay, opening the slave bleeder and slowly pouring fluid until I saw no bubbles... sometimes when you change out slave and master you just have so much air that conventional bleeding doesn't work well enough

if the answer to above question is yes then try and start the car in gear with the clutch pressed in... if your rear tires spin then your clutch is not disengaging properly.... proceed to above method

if you do all this and are positive that your clutch isn't installed backwards, PP bolts are torqued correctly, your PP is working fine, your slave is not leaking, your master is not leaking and your clutch pedal is adjusted correctly then sorry your SOL

Also did you remove the clutch dampener? if not then do it

ka24et
11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Just battled the same thing for a couple of weeks. I replaced the slave, master, clutch line, damper bypass. Bled, bled, bled some more. Bench bled, bled, bled, bled. Still didn't go into gear when the car was on. :bite:

I dropped the tranny, reinspected and resinstalled TOB and clutch fork. Reinstall. Still won't go into gear. :bash:

Re-ordered all new parts (flywheel, clutch, pressure plate). Compared to the old stuff and the parts were different. Different part numbers and slighty different dimensions. Apparently I got the wrong stuff the first time around. :madfawk:

But now all is good and everything goes into gear like butter. Got good at dropping the tranny though! :)

What kind of parts did you recently install?

BoostinGST
11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
you could always upgrade the slave, that usually solves this problem.

or you can shim the pressure plate bolts between the PP and the flywheel where they go through to distance the PP from the Flywheel slightly and allow the clutch to actually be depressed through range of motion.
i already upgraded it, its a nismo slave cyl.... i thought about doing shims but if i have to pull the tranny again im gonna just change the clutch and flywheel.

If you have the car on jackstands and in gear with the engine off and clutch pressed in are you able to spin the wheels?

if not then obviously your slave isn't travelling far enough to release the clutch... solution: well for me I gravity bled the master by undoing it from the firewall raising it up at least 6 inches above the engine bay, opening the slave bleeder and slowly pouring fluid until I saw no bubbles... sometimes when you change out slave and master you just have so much air that conventional bleeding doesn't work well enough

if the answer to above question is yes then try and start the car in gear with the clutch pressed in... if your rear tires spin then your clutch is not disengaging properly.... proceed to above method

if you do all this and are positive that your clutch isn't installed backwards, PP bolts are torqued correctly, your PP is working fine, your slave is not leaking, your master is not leaking and your clutch pedal is adjusted correctly then sorry your SOL

Also did you remove the clutch dampener? if not then do it
did you read the original post lol... the clutch isnt disengaging, im not positive on the pressure plate working, i removed the damper, i know the clutch is installed right since i can see nismo on the disk(pretty sure its only on the pressure plate side)... either way its just not working, i guess i'll try to gravity bleed the master cyl tonight for the hell of it.
Just battled the same thing for a couple of weeks. I replaced the slave, master, clutch line, damper bypass. Bled, bled, bled some more. Bench bled, bled, bled, bled. Still didn't go into gear when the car was on. :bite:

I dropped the tranny, reinspected and resinstalled TOB and clutch fork. Reinstall. Still won't go into gear. :bash:

Re-ordered all new parts (flywheel, clutch, pressure plate). Compared to the old stuff and the parts were different. Different part numbers and slighty different dimensions. Apparently I got the wrong stuff the first time around. :madfawk:

But now all is good and everything goes into gear like butter. Got good at dropping the tranny though! :)

What kind of parts did you recently install? all the parts i installed are in the original post, the parts they offer nismo upgrades were upgraded...

Check my thread about the RPS Max Street... mines doing the same thing. Im 90% sure its my pressure plate, have you checked to see how much your slave cylinder is moving? yeah i saw your post i checked the slave but i dont know for sure its moving enough, i even went ahead and made a little extension for the rod and it didnt do anything else...

does anyone know exactly how far the slave should move? it pushes the TOB on the pressure plate, i think its good but i could be wrong.

BoostinGST
11-05-2007, 05:32 PM
your car is borken, you need to give it to me can you fix borken cars??? if so let me know, we might be able to work something out... can i replace my borken myself??? :fawkd:

Prelude Guy
11-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Based on what I read, I think it's your clutch disk.

Try this WITHOUT anyting in front of the car. If you put the tranny in first gear with the car off, push the clutch pedal in, and try to start it. Does the car move forward? If so, I bet your clutch disk is warped.

EDIT: Oh, sounds like you already did this. 99% chance it's the clutch disk!

ka24et
11-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I feel your pain. One tip I got and used from searching was to "compress" the slave during bleeding. I used a clamp to keep the slave fully depressed while I bled the system with a speed bleeder. Your master may also need to be replaced? Just make sure you bench bleed a master anytime you get significant air the system. GL

speedjunkie
11-05-2007, 07:49 PM
can you fix borken cars??? if so let me know, we might be able to work something out... can i replace my borken myself??? :fawkd:

you know what i meant.....hater:loco:

contranication
11-06-2007, 09:43 AM
the slave should travel at leat 3/4 of the total length of the rod... take apart your old slave and measure the rod... then measure your slave travel...

BoostinGST
11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
the slave should travel at leat 3/4 of the total length of the rod... take apart your old slave and measure the rod... then measure your slave travel...thanks for the info, i'll look into that.

nissandr1ft
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Well in my case the pressure plate was bad... RPS informed me this week, and will be warrantying it. Nothing looked wrong with it... but thats all that was left in my situation.