PDA

View Full Version : Brake light comming on.

S14Laco
11-02-2007, 10:39 AM
upon startup and driving the red brake light come on and stay on (the one that usually comes on when you yank the e-brake) it hassnt happened when its warmer out, just on cold days/nights. and the light will go off if i accelerate hard, but may come back on upon medium/harder braking...

so far the common denominator has been cold weather so my guess is something is sticking? no noise is heard aside from regular squeaking, and no braking difference, i looked at the shoes and no weird wear, plenty of life left on pads (6mm or so). rotor also seems fine. so then i thought the switch/button inside the console by the handle for the e-brake, it seems to be operating normally.

any help?

i have SS brake lines, stock calipers, powerslot rotors, and hawk perf HP+ pads.

non abs

kandyflip445
11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Check your fluid level.

los_inc
11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
do you have any electronics hooked up ghetto fabulously?
i once had a fan hooked up savagely it caused my brake light to be on all the time. and only at would i notice that my battery light was on very dimly.
-los

liv2drift045
11-02-2007, 11:00 AM
this happens on my cefiro as well... at first start up in the morning/night when cold... didnt do it in the spring... but that may have nothing to do w/ it...fluid level is fine... still havent figured it out...

setup :
z32 bmc
z32 front calipers
33 type m rears

shoes are fine and pads are fine... :hammer:

CrimsonRockett
11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
I had this problem too.

First it was my pads.

Swapped them out...problem was gone.

Then, my stupid ass didn't fully tighten the brake line going to the hardline, so brake fluid was leaking everywhere.

Tightened and refilled...problem gone.

projectRDM
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
You may also have a low voltage problem, the charge warning is designed to trip the brake light in parallel when the alternator isn't charging sufficiently. A cold condition might cause that.

S14Laco
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
come to think of it, i do need to replace my belts.

they are old and cracked in spots.

prolly jus tthat when its cold, and upon hard accel it turns enough to catch and spin it enough to push out enough voltage.

+1 for missing the obvious, thanks man.

DreamN
11-23-2007, 12:42 AM
I thought both the brake light and battery light come on at the same time when the alternator wasn't charging properly. I remember that's what I was getting. Changed all belts and went away.

To OP:

Check your fluid level and for any leaks.

g6civcx
11-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Check your parking brake switch because it also triggers the brake light on the dash.