PDA

View Full Version : knock sensor help

kingyogi
11-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Im about to replace my knock sensor as soon as someone replys in this thread. But ive been told a few times you have to take the intake off? I am just making sure theres not an easier way. Thanks in advanced!! :D

johngriff
11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Extensions and patience.

kingyogi
11-01-2007, 11:44 PM
should i go from the bottom of the car or from the top?

johngriff
11-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Top 4 sho.

Ask Russ too, he's done over 9000 on the S14, I've only done them on the S13 DOHC, might be different, IDK.

projectRDM
11-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Same as S13 DOHC. Remove both lower plenum brackets and throw them away, they're useless. That gains some clearance to go in from underneath, which is easiest if you've got a ratchet wrench. Otherwise from the top, snaked down through the intake.

Of course, the real question is why are you replacing it? They very rarely go bad, throwing a code 34 could mean a million other things.

kingyogi
11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Same as S13 DOHC. Remove both lower plenum brackets and throw them away, they're useless. That gains some clearance to go in from underneath, which is easiest if you've got a ratchet wrench. Otherwise from the top, snaked down through the intake.

Of course, the real question is why are you replacing it? They very rarely go bad, throwing a code 34 could mean a million other things.
well a friend of mine hooked it up to his computer hes got, it threw a code that meant knock sensor.

its making a noise like on a gokart, when the chain is loose and the chain gear thing skips it a few times. chain slipping noise. what could that be? obviously this motor is chain driven, but the chains dont seem to be really loose.

Jung918
11-01-2007, 11:59 PM
There are 2 chain guides that have not been taken out. That could be your problem. Do a quick search on it.
I also have a knock sensor code. Anyone know the proper way to diagnose it?

johngriff
11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
I would check the continuity of the wire first, pin to pin, before changing the sensor.

projectRDM
11-02-2007, 12:01 AM
The knock sensor is obviously picking up a vibration, caused by the 'loose' chain or whatever you've got going on, so it's doing it's job, replacing it is pointless. Fix the chain problem and clear the codes.

A code doesn't mean a bad part, it means something has caused that item to throw the code. A knock sensor triggers from anything from actual rod knock to just a bad tank of gas, so thinking it's bad because it's thrown a code is stupid. Start researching on here and the FSM to learn the values around the ECU's diagnostics.

Jung918
11-02-2007, 12:11 AM
1998 FSM knock sensor diagnosis is on EC 229.

Just curious, I'm looking at getting a Fluke. Which model do you guys recommend for automotive use? I don't need anything too fancy but don't need all the bells and whistles.

kingyogi
11-02-2007, 12:25 AM
The knock sensor is obviously picking up a vibration, caused by the 'loose' chain or whatever you've got going on, so it's doing it's job, replacing it is pointless. Fix the chain problem and clear the codes.

A code doesn't mean a bad part, it means something has caused that item to throw the code. A knock sensor triggers from anything from actual rod knock to just a bad tank of gas, so thinking it's bad because it's thrown a code is stupid. Start researching on here and the FSM to learn the values around the ECU's diagnostics.
Thanks man! i acually have a manual im looking thru now. youve been a great help, your usually answering every question i post up.

since i dont think i should post another thread tonight, im thinking about getting a Volt gauge... how exactly do you hook those up? do they go straight to the battery? thanks man.

Nismoknightska-t
11-02-2007, 02:32 AM
good luck ..

that shit is a bitch..

projectRDM
11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks man! i acually have a manual im looking thru now. youve been a great help, your usually answering every question i post up.

since i dont think i should post another thread tonight, im thinking about getting a Volt gauge... how exactly do you hook those up? do they go straight to the battery? thanks man.

A voltmeter can be connected anywhere there's power, just remember to only use the volt setting directly at the battery. Amperage settings can be measured on low current circuits only, you'll blow the fuses on the meter trying to test high amp circuits like the battery or alternator. I use a Radio Shack model, about $60, works for most all applications. A $300 Fluke would be better to meaure sign/square waves, but I rarely test sweep type sensors.