PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding sr20det valvetrain upgrades.

opponheimer
10-28-2007, 02:40 PM
I recently changed my setup on my s14, I'm running a gt2860rs and plan on getting an enthalpy tune (done fuckin w/ bikirom) with some 740ccs, with probablility of going to a gt2871r. I want to run cams, but I am a little less knowledgable on what supporting mods i need for the cams.

I can get a set of HKS Performance Step 2 cams (264/264 I/E) very cheap.

I'd like to know if those cams are well suitable, and are infact some good quality cams that make decent power in compare to other mfgs.. I do plan on upgrading valve springs, and I already have P2M RAS. What are ya'lls views on solid lifters and titanium retainers? When would i need solid lifters?

Finally I would like to know if my mileage will suffer greatly due to the cams, as well as the driveability, staying out of boost. (This is my DD)

SO my questions are:

1) Are HKS Step 2 264I/264E descent cams?

2) Should i get solid lifters or retainers (Rev limit will be raised only to 7800rpm.. I'm doing springs to help prevent valve float.)

3) How will my mileage be with the cams, staying out of boost? Comparible to stock?

Thanks!

statik
10-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Im not familiar with the turbo so i cant say if its a good match for the cams, but in general they are quality cams, I run the step1's myself with a GT28RS. Revving to 7800 solid lifters are not necessary, rocker arm stopers, valve springs and retainers for sure.

DOOK
10-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I also run the 264 stage 2s... no solid lifters for me either, but I did do greddy rocker arm stopper, peak performance racing springs and retainers. Ideally the 264-2s match with the gt3071, but the gt2871r should perform well with them as well.

Koopa Troopa
10-28-2007, 02:55 PM
By now I should be a well known hater of HKS cams... I don't see the point when other manufactures make the same cams with a more agressive lift. I am also a well known supporter of Tomei cams. Although you can make great power on HKS cams.. I just don't see the point in buying them when Tomei costs around the same and has a more agressive lift.

As far as solid lifters? Why not upgrade? You're just taking one more thing that sucks and making it not suck. They're kinda noisy though.

I'm not familiar with GT28whatever turbo's but since it sounds like it's based on a T28 I don't think you'll want anything bigger than a 264 cam. Sounds like it'll choke out after 7500...

I've got Tomei 270 cams 850cc injectors and when I'm off the gas my car runs between 14.5-16.8 and when I'm on the gas it's usually around 11.2 and I get shitty gas mileage. Usually put in 9 gallons every 170km depending on weither or not I've been boosting. If I'm not driving like a jackass I might be able to go 241 km. The car really needs to be tuned alot more though.. I could make it run so much better. I kinda "good enoughed" it before I left to Iraq.

As far as staying out of boost... Uh.. :rofl:

statik
10-28-2007, 03:00 PM
As far as solid lifters? Why not upgrade? You're just taking one more thing that sucks and making it not suck. They're kinda noisy though.

For his rev limit I don't see the point in suggesting solids as an upgrade, noisy and re-shimming every 4-5k seems silly unless you really need it.

DOOK
10-28-2007, 03:07 PM
For his rev limit I don't see the point in suggesting solids as an upgrade, noisy and re-shimming every 4-5k seems silly unless you really need it.

same reason I didn't go that route...

Koopa Troopa
10-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Is that fact or Zilvia rumour? I think my solid head has around 10k km on it, hasn't been reshimmed yet.. Never heard about that either.. Guess I'll find out.. :goyou:

DOOK
10-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Is that fact or Zilvia rumour? I think my solid head has around 10k km on it, hasn't been reshimmed yet.. Never heard about that either.. Guess I'll find out.. :goyou:

I was warned about it by Hybrid Dynamics

tt99ol
10-28-2007, 04:05 PM
rb26 is solid and you dont re shim that every 4k so i dont think you have to reshim that soon

opponheimer
10-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys... will this disrupt my power band greatly, or will be more helpful than harmful?

2bad240
10-28-2007, 05:04 PM
i thought when you got solid lifters, you had to get different cams for the solid lifters. like the hks step 3s

Koopa Troopa
10-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Some cams are designed for solid lifters because they have a much more aggressive grind. That's my uneducated guess...

Cams are fun. You'll love them.

tt99ol
10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
its actually the ramp shape on the cam that makes them solid or hydraulic

Koopa Troopa
10-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Yeah? The grind on the lobe.

fliprayzin240sx
10-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Koopa needs to get off HKS Cam's dick...Step 2s arent that bad, as long as its step 2s, not the step 1s. Step 2 HKS has 11.5 lift vs tomei's 12.0mm lift. Theyre not bad for the price and plus considering the size of turbo he's gonna run, he doesnt need the bigger lift.

Personally, I'd change the valve springs, retainers and while your at it, double check the valve seals, theyll prolly need to get replaced.

Another good option right now for cams are Brian Crowers, iirc, he got 3 stages for his cams. Stage 3 on paper is the most aggressive set of cams i've ever seen for production cams from any SR20 cam making companies out there. Yes, its more aggressive than anything Tomei makes...

As far as the OP goes, stay away from rom-tune, spend the money on atleast a power fc for tuning or maybe even AEM. I wasnt too impressed with rom tunes to be honest (had enthalpy w/ safc).

wootwoot
10-29-2007, 02:34 AM
I have a very different philosophy on SR20's then a lot of people, its more of a manufacturers point of view. I dont like cams on SR20's because I hate their valve trains.

I like to see people use smaller sized turbos with lots of boost pushing around 350whp and equal tq. I think that is the best power band you can achieve and helps you not be revving to high.

Instead of cams/intake manifold look into just a good exhaust manifold to help with the power band. I know the stock cams/manifold start getting restrictive around 325whp but its just how I feel the motors should be done. Just think about it somewhat, high revs are death to a motor.

I love cam'd motors, they drive like hell, sound great and are really fun. They do give you 1-2 less mpg overall because unlike boost you cant stay outta cam.

Koopa Troopa
10-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Yeah but by elminating the problems with the SR's valve train you can have a very reliable motor....

OBEEWON
10-29-2007, 07:09 AM
I run stg 3 272's, no solid lifters.