PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure its the headgasket, or is it something else?

supers0nic
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Hello all,

Drove out for lunch, my car normally runs 70s,80s Cel. It reached 89C so i turned on my fan. Drove another 5 minutes and came to a stop sign and saw smoke coming out of my engine bay. I looked at my temp and it was at 110C and I started to smell coolant.:ugh:

I decided to bring my car home. Popped my hood and it wasnt smoking from radiator but coming from the engine, on the intake manifold side.

My idle was high as well, roughly maybe at 2500rpms. My guess is that its sucking air from other than the intake.

Didnt see smoke from the exhaust. :tweak:

I know i have to......
check compression
check my oil if its mixed with coolant
check if i even have coolant haha

can't do that all yet because im at work, but was wondering if it could be anything else other than the headgasket.

If it is the headgasket, you think it might of warped the head?
What's the least and the worst of my problems

thanks guys :bigok:

MOds that I have that are involved with the issue
SR20DET
FAL FAN
KOYO RAD
GREDDY OIL PAN
STOCK INTAKE MANI
nismo thermostat

statik
10-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Sounds like head gasket, only one way to tell if you warped it, fsm has specs. Wire that fan up to a thermostat! Best case scenario is you only need a new head gasket. Worst case, the mad scientist has to rip apart the block and deck the block/head even.

91gst
10-26-2007, 09:39 PM
also you should check all of your water lines to your intake manifold that run along the side of the head. I had a similar thing happen to me and it turned out to be a pin sized hole in one of the hoses. cheap fix and was a good excuse to change them all.

brndck
10-26-2007, 09:44 PM
i'd also check the coolant lines that go to the heater core at the firewall.

racepar1
10-26-2007, 10:33 PM
There ar also coolant lines running under the intake manifold. Get a cooling system pressure tester and see where it is leaking from. DO NOT JUST GUESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jskateborders
10-27-2007, 03:41 AM
I also agree. Lines under intake manifold.