PDA

View Full Version : Test a Headunit? Advice please

Trutrax
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
well, I bought one the other day used...I would like to test to see if it actually works or not...but I dont want to have to wire it in to turn it on and see. Is there an easy way I can go about turning it on without doing that?
Thanks

ThatGuy
10-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Stereo stores can typically test them for you, or an electronic repair store.

This should probably be in Tech Talk. I'm moving it there.

DP_Michelle G
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Hook it up to a power source like a car battery. just make sure you ground it

That how there hooked up on the lowrider bikes

Trutrax
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
opp, sorry. And thanks. Would a place like Bestbuy be able to do it?

So just connect the Red power lead directly to a car battery + and the black ground to the -?

Tops*
10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
opp, sorry. And thanks. Would a place like Bestbuy be able to do it?

So just connect the Red power lead directly to a car battery + and the black ground to the -?

Yeah, Best Buy would be able to test it.

Connecting it to the battery will turn the HU on, but you won't be able to do anything with it. It'll just turn on. No functions really.

I say just take it to Best Buy, Circuit City, stereo store, etc. and have them actually play music with it.

Trutrax
10-25-2007, 06:47 PM
k, so I tested it and it turns on ok when I plug it into the car battery...Now I'm faced with a new set of problems...thing is. It only works when both the constant (red) AND the memory (yellow) are touching the +. Is this normal?

So, I figued I'd just do it and install the damn thing...I match up each wire correctly (I'm shure after looking over the wireing colour charts for 93 240's.) And NOTHING. It doesn't turn on at all when hooked up. I know the wires and fuses are good becuse I crossed the red/black battery wire with the ignition (blue) and the clock dash light turned on. So there IS power. Now I'm stuck, confused and frustrated. bleh... Can anyone guide me please?

frsh2fourty
10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Did you check the fuse on the back of the radio?
And did you actually look at the fuses in the block under the dash? From my experience they blow really easily.

MegasquirtCA
10-25-2007, 07:12 PM
k, so I tested it and it turns on ok when I plug it into the car battery...Now I'm faced with a new set of problems...thing is. It only works when both the constant (red) AND the memory (yellow) are touching the +. Is this normal?

So, I figued I'd just do it and install the damn thing...I match up each wire correctly (I'm shure after looking over the wireing colour charts for 93 240's.) And NOTHING. It doesn't turn on at all when hooked up. I know the wires and fuses are good becuse I crossed the red/black battery wire with the ignition (blue) and the clock dash light turned on. So there IS power. Now I'm stuck, confused and frustrated. bleh... Can anyone guide me please?

Yes thats normal it usually wont work with out the constant power and switched power.

Constant power is what keeps your settings/clock etc stored in the cd player. When you turn the key on is when the cd player knows your in the car and ready to start playing. For the first part

As for your 2nd part check the fuse in the fuse panel next to the clutch pedal.

burnsauto
10-25-2007, 07:13 PM
is the head unit grounded? dont just use a chassis ground..sometimes thats not enough (it wasnt in my case)

I wound up tapping into the ground wire from the e-brake, havent had any problems since.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf

that link helped me out a little bit when i was doing it all.

gl :)

Trutrax
10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
k, so it could still be the fuses even though there appears to still be current running through the wires? Guess I'll have to check them then. I currently have it grounded under the shift boot skrews. Thanks guys, appreciate your help, I really do. :)

burnsauto
10-25-2007, 07:52 PM
k, so it could still be the fuses even though there appears to still be current running through the wires? Guess I'll have to check them then. I currently have it grounded under the shift boot skrews. Thanks guys, appreciate your help, I really do. :)

if you have power to you're constant, and your ACC wire, then its not the fuses. its the ground. like i said before, sometimes just grounding it to the chassis doesnt always work, and the aftermarket system doesnt ground through the antenna. tap into the ground for the ebrake.