PDA

View Full Version : Boost out valve cover breather :(

jskateborders
10-20-2007, 01:16 AM
So Ive been thinking it over and over in my head. Im trying to think of other sources for this. Basically, boost leak testing the boost ends up coming out of the breather on the valve cover. this equals boost escaping past rings. Unless Im missing another possile path for this pressure to travel. Just figured Id throw this out there for all the vetrans to climb all over.
O yea, dry compression numbers are all around 105. I have yet to get wet numbers.

slider2828
10-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Firstly you should describe how you are testing the leak and that might give us more information to work on.

jskateborders
10-20-2007, 12:34 PM
True. In through the turbo in place of the intake. put boost into the pipes. then to the throttle body.

S14DB
10-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Replace your PCV valve.

jskateborders
10-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Technically you could cap it off from the intake manifold run the valve to my catch can or vent it right? I mean, since I have my breather to a catch can.
I was thinking about that though, cause if I have a bad pcv valve, boost would get into the vc right. BTW oil smells like gasonline. I dont see how this could be caused by pcv failure.

mazdaRX7Galantvr4
10-20-2007, 09:30 PM
I had a similar problem on my old engine. I had 90 psi in number 4 cyl. Anyways its the rings in my case and that's what it sounds like for you too.

You need to bar over the engine while shop air is on it and listen where its going. If you just start at TDC and you leaking out the beather, then for sure rings. Good luck

S14DB
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Do a Leakdown and compression check then. Gas smell could be you running rich and not driving for long enough to burn it off.

jskateborders
10-20-2007, 11:04 PM
pcv was leaking boost into engine. Now im gonna test some things tommorow, get an accurate copression test, and get back on here

AWDTurbo
10-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Had the same problem, After tearing my engine down I found I had a busted piston between #1 and #2 piston rings on cylinder 1. Needless to say 14 grand and 6 months later!!!!! Back in business with 6 times the motor I had before. This time if it breaks its going to take the entire engine with it. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

bo2o
10-20-2007, 11:24 PM
ya sounds like rings to me..

there shouldnt b that much blowby

jskateborders
10-21-2007, 01:29 AM
haha, well I blew my headgasget, so I guess I will see the conditions of the pistons soon enough. At least I hope its the headgasket. WOuldnt start, went to compression test and water shoots out of 2 and 3. Sexy. THanks for all your help guys