PDA

View Full Version : Excessive clunking on front suspension....blown coil?

SimpleS14
10-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Two nights ago I was driving on the highway and ran into a deep pothole...it was so random and unexpected. It felt like someone took a sledge hammer and wacked the driver side front suspension. The following day I started to get clunking noise from that area. Since I have aftermarket T/C rods and they lack bushings....my next thought is my coilover shock body. Is it possible that its blown? The car rides fine, and that noise only occurs during braking or turning the wheel at full lock.

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
its possible that the top nut is loose. take an allen key and crescent wrench and tighten it.

sean350z
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Make sure your front subframe is properly torqued...I had the same problems and it turned out the driverside bracket that holds the front subframe to the frame was broken and the nut couldn't tighten on the bolt.

To test your coilover...you can take if off the car and take off the spring. Once you do that you will want to compress the shock and if it releases back quickly it's probably not blown.

If those top few things pan out fine...retorque all nuts/bolts.

SimpleS14
10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies....I'm going to do this soon.

S13Leprechaun
10-17-2007, 12:20 PM
yeah i had a lot of movement in my subframe too.... torque that shit down, it prolly just jarred it loose. good luck.

Sileighty_85
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
i had the same prob. mine would pop when brakeing hard. I noticed when I was replacing my tie rod ends, That I was missing the two main bolts from the T/R bracket that bolts to the frame and only had two little loose 14mm's holding that shit on to the core support.

xamraci
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
You will hear a slight clunk from aftermarket tie rods...I hear it because my bushings are shot to hell:-/ . Make sure all of your spanner nuts are tight also, mine were loose the other night and I thought my car was totally Fd.