PDA

View Full Version : engine wont crank, need help asap!!

Steinkrunk
10-16-2007, 08:49 PM
I just swapped my sohc engine that previously started and ran with no problems to a cleaner dohc chassis. I made sure to plug everything back in and all seems to be well.

However, now when i turn the key, the car wont crank. The fuel pump turns on and i can hear a faint click in the engine bay. The battery is brand new and so is the starter. The starter isnt even turning and when i bridge the solenoid the starter turns, but the engine doesnt(but that's another issue for another time and place).
The main question is wtf could be wrong and what tests should i try to find out the problem. The nuetral safety switch has power and it works. Im just trying to think of all the things that could be wrong, but nothing comes to mind. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, i need this car to get to work tomorrow and would like to try to fix it during the day.

johngriff
10-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Did you go auto/manual during the swap?

Bad ground.

Clutch interlock relay.

Test continuity from the intake manifold to the ground terminal of the battery.

Steinkrunk
10-16-2007, 08:54 PM
i didnt swap trannys, kept the 5 speed attached the whole time. i tested the grounds, and theyre all good, they'res continuity between the intake and ground. What is/where is the clutch interlock relay?

smurfgcr
10-16-2007, 09:05 PM
little switch under the clutch pedal that makes it so you dont start the car until the clutch pedal is depressed

Steinkrunk
10-16-2007, 09:09 PM
o, that's what i meant by nuertal safety switch. Im not a mechanic so i dont know the techincal terms for all these things, its usually "that thing with the black thing on top of it" or something like that when im trying to describe parts. Shit, i checked all those things then and theyre all good. Is there any way to check the igniton switch? I'd think the key is working since the furl pump turns on and i hear a click when i turn it foward. I dunno my brain is burnt from trying to figure out the problem all day.

Steinkrunk
10-16-2007, 09:42 PM
bump, i need to try to fix this before i go to work tomoro!!!

infinitexsound
10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
pull spark plugs, tdc #1 piston... re-stick the oil pump if the rotor doesnt line up with number one spark plug. on the distributor. check the connections with the wires on the distributor and spark plugs and coil... make sure u put each terminal on distributor to the right cylinder.. should run after that...

DisEpyon
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Is your engine grounded to the chassis of your car.

I had this problem and after i put good size cable wire and grounded it, my car started up with np's.

Steinkrunk
10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
yea, i thought that too. I put 3 heavy gauge speaker wire grounds going from the engine to chassis, engine to ground and chassis to ground to make sure theyre all good in the hood. Still nothing. Tomorrow im going to take off my starter and clean the negatives and replace the ground wire for it. Im crossing my fingers to make this work b/c i cant keep bummin rides to work every day.

babowc
10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
yep.
same deal with mine today.

i forgot to ground the starter on a fresh swap.
worked like a charm after it was grounded.

but i grounded it temporarily without bolting it down and now my relays are buzzing. maybe low battery.

Steinkrunk
10-18-2007, 08:47 AM
finally found out the problem, it's the ignition switch. The way i found out was i unplugged the connector that goes to the wire that's soldered on the starter. Then i took a pair of insulated pliers and connected the point where the solder is and the bolt that has the wire going to the battery. The starter sparked, and then the started and ran perfect. So now im off to try to find wtf is wrong with the igniton switch.