PDA

View Full Version : Drove car with o2 unhooked accidently

s13pignose
10-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Well I drove my car without my o2 hooked up because I attempted to replace it with a new one, just for maintenance reasons. Well anyway, I put my car aside and got to fooling around with another friends car...long story short time went by and I forgot all about the o2 being unhooked. I drove home and around town for a short while tonight when I noticed a CEL, and decided to go back home. There I popped the hood to look things over, and saw the 02 wire dangling:duh:

So my question is how do I get rid of the cel, and do you think any harm was done? The car still drove and felt normal, no pinging and temp gauge stayed normal. I tried resetting the ecu when I hooked the o2 back, by holding the brakes for 10min with batt disconnected. I heard thats one method, but it didn't work. For right now I just called it quits for tonight, cause its 11:56, and I just disconnected both pos and neg on the battery overnight. I guess I'll see what happens in the morning.

Also I didn't manage to get the 02 out, but a friend suggested pb blaster so I sprayed it and am letting it sit overnight.

Thanks for any suggestions

MURPHY
10-12-2007, 10:05 PM
no damage done

just clear codes or disconnect the negative terminal

unless it's a hard code for some other reason it will go away after resetting or after 2 complete cycles

try this way too
Find the computer(Behind the plastic piece by the passenger foot
* Pull it out
* Turn your key to the on position
* You will see a flathead screw looking bolt on 1 side of the computer. Turn this fully clockwise
* Wait at least 2 seconds
* Turn it back to fully counterclockwise
* This will then show the trouble code - (The check engine light will blink to show this, for instance, blink..blink..blink......blink..blink, will be 32)
* After you read the code, you can start the engine
* Turn the bolt back to the clockwise position for at least 2 seconds(While running)
* Turn it back to the counterclockwise position
* Now shut the car and then start it again, this should of removed the code.

90KAcoupe
10-12-2007, 10:07 PM
the o2 sensor only controls fuel at idle thats it... when the car is off idle it is unused by the ecm....

statik
10-12-2007, 10:24 PM
the o2 sensor only controls fuel at idle thats it... when the car is off idle it is unused by the ecm....

it controls fuel during idle and cruising/low load (closed loop)

s13pignose
10-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah thats why I give much respect to people who do tuning lol. Unlike them, I don't fully understand all the senors on the car. I was under the impression that without the 02, the car wouldn't start or run long. I mean I recalled a similar incident leaving my maf unconnected, the car was going nowhere lol..it died in no time. But I don't recall any codes.

Like I said I unplug both neg and pos, and reattempt everything tommorow. Also gonna head back over to advance auto to rent their oxgensor removal kit:x: Hopefully I can get my new denso put on and get a few more mpg

Thanks again for all who posted help

MURPHY
10-12-2007, 11:31 PM
it controls fuel during idle and cruising/low load (closed loop)
it monitors the o2 level in exhaust... and 2nd is for efficiency

it only makes small corrections during closed loop

deff get a o2 socket and replace if old as hell.

s13pignose
10-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey it is the 02, because I finally was able to get the ecu out and get to the screw. I did like the instructions above, but still have the cel. I did however watch the flashes which were 3 long and 3 short...meaning 33. I went to ka24development.com and looked up the code...which was none other than front 02...I'm gonna try driving and restarting the car a couple times?

s13pignose
10-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Also when I tried resetting it I accidently went past the arrow on the counterclockwise motion and I heard a click, and it allowed the screw to keep turning counter clockwise over and over..did I break something inside the ecu. Like it will stop on clockwise now if I turn lightly but doesn't take much to go past to where it keeps turning?

Also got 37 which I found to be closed loop? Know what lol

s13pignose
10-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Nevermind just got a code 55, and finished through with the resetting process, and then there wasn't a cel anymore. So then I went back to the ka24development site just to look the 55 code up even though it was cleared...and all it meant was "Normal engine management system operation is indicated – this means all is OK."

Still concerned if I broke the ecu turning it counterclock wise? You think?

usdm180sx
10-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Would a disc o2 sensor cause the ecu to dump fuel and make the car run rich? If that's the case running like that for too long will kill the cat.

s13pignose
10-13-2007, 04:13 PM
No sure on that. All I know is I have the 02 connected now and the old code clear

lflkajfj12123
10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
just unplug your battery for the night it'll clear itself shouldn't come back on unless theres still a problem

s13pignose
10-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Nah I got it clear after reattempting to resett the ecu by the screw several times. Car ran good before...now seems slightly better. Cant wait to see what happens when I actually get the new 02 on...hopefully sometime this week when I'm to not to lazy to go rent the o2 socket set again