PDA

View Full Version : catalyc converter

blades
01-15-2002, 09:49 PM
i was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on removing the cat. i have a 90 240 sohc 140 hp? and was thinking about removing my cat and i'd like to know if i will gain anything by doing so??thanks

(Edited by blades at 9:15 am on Jan. 16, 2002)

tnord
01-15-2002, 09:52 PM
don't do it, it'll only be loud, i don't know how well that particular cat is designed, but modern cats only create 1-2lbs of backpressure, not a big deal, a much better idea is to get a high flow cat from someone like Random Technologies

Silviaboy
01-15-2002, 11:19 PM
I agree. The cat is very flow effecient. The fact that it creates a little back pressure is a good thing for most people. If the back pressure is to low you will get a bad sounding gurgle when the revs come back down. I have personally installed resignators to fix that God awful sound.

HKrpS13
01-16-2002, 11:34 AM
I had mine off but it didn't had no problem with sound and plus, it made the car fast. I think about 10HP??
But I don't think it's a good idea cause the fines like $2500 plus car getting inpounded (I heared) and you wont pass smog and the junkyard wont sell the cat.
??by removing the cat, do you mean by taking out the inside of the shell???

blades
01-16-2002, 11:56 AM
actually i'm in canada and i believe the law is that 91 and above you need a cat and any car made 90 or before you do not. i also was just planning on removing it completly and putting in a piece of pipe b/c i think its bad and i can't afford a new one. i'm mainly concerned that if i take it out it might negativly effect the performance of the car(or make it really loud) also i don't need to worry about smog.