PDA

View Full Version : help!!! MT tranny doesn't fit my KA!

xpertsnowcarver
10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
searched and searched AND SEARCHED. i this is where i am and this is what i think.....

i had bought a tranny for 200 bucks,and was told that the tranny was from an s13. i read all kinda info and understood that the s13 & s14 trannys would fit the ka-de engine (89-94 sr trannys do fit the 89-94 ka engines right??). no big deal. im finally ready to bolt her on the engine AND THE WHOLES DON'T LINE UP!?!??? im looking at the FSM and i realized that the bell housing is different from what i have. the bell housing looks like its for a s15 sr20, which i hear is totally different.

so... what it looks like is... i have a 89-90 MT (cus it only has 3 sensors on it including the speed) with a s15 bell housing??? how does that work? so all i have to do is replace the bell houseing?

someone please help me! i searched for a long time and couldn't find my answers.
thanks

sbanzer123
10-11-2007, 07:46 PM
i think the sohc and dohc belhousings are different.

xpertsnowcarver
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
u sure??? so then changing the bell housing is not big deal then. don't the ka-e and -de trannys have the same bell housing as the s13 and s14 sr's???

geez.. i put an extra 400 to get the tranny overhauled with brand new bearings, synchros, seals, even the 5th gear slider was replaced. came back home to slap her on to find out it don't fit. i just have an inch to go and the wholes don't line up for crap...

i just checked the s15 fsm and it looks like i do have the bell housing of a s15. i need someone to reassure me thou that thats what i have (s13 tranny - cus it only has 3 sensors: neutral, speed, and od - with the s15 bell housing). don't have pics cus i dont have a cam.

thanks for your reply sbanzer123

drifting.8
10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
change the bell housing....

S14Laco
10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
yes the bell housing is defiantly different. Just change it and you should be fine.

Turtle
10-11-2007, 08:40 PM
So you have an sr tranny, and are trying to fit it into the ka? The holes don't line up? If it is just the bell housing that is from the S15, all you need to do is change the bell housing. If it is the whole S15 tranny in order to get the whole cluster to work, speedo, odometer, everything you need the S15 differential as well. If thats the case good luck finding an S15 differential. If not just swap bell housing.

xpertsnowcarver
10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
for sure its not the s15 tranny becuase the speed sensor on those is located on the diff. this tranny has one. so ill look into getting that bellhousing changed then. anyone have or know a website selling one? (meanwhile ill check some local junkyards...)

thanks for the replies.

projectRDM
10-11-2007, 11:07 PM
i think the sohc and dohc belhousings are different.

How many times do I to type this?

ALL 89-98 KA MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS ARE THE SAME

The bellhousing is no different on any model 240SX, period. The sensors/switches changed around over the years, that's it. Seriously, this is getting redundant as hell.

xpertsnowcarver
10-12-2007, 12:06 AM
lol... yea, i was pretty confident of that.

oh well.. looks like i won't have my car ready in time to get to the upcoming FormulaD event this saturday... can't take my bike cus apparently its gonna rain so ill have to hitch a ride... >_<

can't wait to test out the nismo mounts, fidanza flywheel and short shifter i threw in there. prolly gonna be another couple weeks before i even find a bell housing thou...

thanks for the replies.

Vision Garage
10-12-2007, 01:53 AM
RUSS is on the ball. They are all the same minus a few sensors. VSS is different among s13 and s14 but they should still bolt up. Take a pic of hte tranny so we can identify.

xpertsnowcarver
10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
finally got a pic.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/matrixownerz/wrongtranny.jpg

xpertsnowcarver
10-12-2007, 11:20 AM
side question, please don't flame, i searched like hell and all the posts ive read don't really have my answers. i see like 3 people have done this but i can't find it on the forums to learn more about it.

i happen to have the 6 speed tranny from a s15 (i know everyone says its weaker than the 5 speed, but im not running 350+ tq. at most ill do is 310...). i know the speed sensor is on the diff, not the tranny, but i honestly don't care if my mph doesn't read anything. i just care if my rpm gauge works, lol. i also have the s15 driveshaft. so... my questions would be... could i just get the s13 bell housing on the s15 tranny? id just need to switch the front part of the driveshaft to the s15 right? i read somewhere that the car still runs without the speedo, right? last question: do i need to change the flywheel, clutch disc & plate, metal spacer or anything??

im only asking, because... if all i need to do is change the bell housing on the tranny to turn my ka into a 6 speed, then why not... my ka is my weaker 240 and my sr is my stronger 240 anyways. ill just leave the 5speed for my sr. my 6 speed tranny only has 38000km on it so i don't have to worry about the internals. does that sound about right?? please don't flame me... i searched!!! just need opinions.

xpertsnowcarver
10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
this is like the closest answer to my last post.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=159328&highlight=speed+tranny

wat i don't get thou, is the s15 bell housing fits the s13 tranny (at least so far, thats wat i understand my problem is).... but it wouldn't work the other way around? thats wat R240NA says. says you have to machine a new flange or adapter plate. so can i conclude that, all ka bell housings are different from all sr bell housings. i swore i read on hear that the s13 and s14 sr bell housings were the same as the KA, only the s15 bell housing is different. can someone elaborate? thanks.

searched a little more and finally found a solid answer.

so... ka bellhousings are different from the sr. i read that they were the same. my mistake. so, forget the whole 6 speed idea, only because i dont feel like doing extensive modification. so i found my answers, just kept searching and searchin and found my answer. even asked a few websites like justjap.com or jdmaddiction. thanks to those that helped me out with their info. im definitely looking for the bell housing now at the junkyard. the dealership is charging 350 for a brand new one. so ill be spending quite a bit of time at the junkyards.

DALAZ_68
10-12-2007, 11:57 AM
u can have the bellhousing from my old tranny im not using it...assuming my mech hasnt dumped it yet :2f2f:

xpertsnowcarver
10-12-2007, 11:59 AM
o man!! contact him asap!!!!!! please!!! if your trashin it, dude i have like 86 bucks in my pocket i can give u right this second!!

pm!

xpertsnowcarver
10-12-2007, 12:06 PM
you know, i see all these stickys in the tech talk forum section about everything but a TRANNY FAQ. everyone should dump everything they know about sr trannys, ka trannys, rb trannys, vq trannys, etc that are FACTS (cus if you put wat you think, itll turn into just any old thread). could save people like me quite a bit of time searching. :) sound good?

DALAZ_68
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
did u know...CA gear box housing fits KA's...just a tidbit

projectRDM
10-13-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm not going to read all that shit you typed, but the picture above clearly is an SR transmission. Swap the bellhousing.

xpertsnowcarver
10-14-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm not going to read all that shit you typed, but the picture above clearly is an SR transmission. Swap the bellhousing.

sorry for learning something new?? if i said something that offended or really irritates u, im really sorry bro... but for real, thanks for letting me know to swap the bell housing, imma take care of that monday.

i tried pulling apart Dalaz's tranny, but its more difficult than i anticipated. reading all the other threads made it sound easy.

Turtle
10-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Would the automatic bell housing work or would it seperate the shaft from the pilot bearing too much or too close? If it doesn't do any bad you can have mines, I did my auto to manual swap and have no use for the auto trans. I live in apple valley california. Like 1 hr 30 min from Los Angeles. My birth place. =]

xpertsnowcarver
10-14-2007, 01:21 AM
naw bro, its cool. its a totally different bell housing anyway. pilot bearings between the two trannys are different too. besides, i have my auto tranny and Dalaz hooked me up. i was in this mess cus im in the middle of a tranny swap.

if ur auto tranny is any good then u should sell it on craigslist or somethin then just give it away. get some gas money for it at least.

S14DB
10-14-2007, 03:29 AM
Just for Reference the KA bell housing looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/Tranny/BellHousing.jpg

I wish I was in cali sometimes cause I have KA Bell housings just laying around from swaps...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/Tranny/KAbellhousing2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/Tranny/KAbellhousing1.jpg