PDA

View Full Version : Question on Interior Removal

rocksteady_racer
10-09-2007, 02:22 PM
I've read stories of other people on here complaining that as soon as they removed their interiors they immediately wanted to put it back in because of how annoying it was. I was wondering if I lay down a coat of rhino liner if it would make it a lot less annoying or is it still ridiculous? I don't have a back seat anyway so I figure taking out the carpet wouldn't make much of a difference. Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Prelude Guy
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't take the interior out. It is annoying and it will get old....FAST!!

I took mine out only for a short time....and that was so I could clean ALL of it. Couldn't wait to get it back in.

Oh, I have Dynamat installed in my car. It was still bad.

rb25drag
10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
If your using it as a daily driver leave it in. If your using it to race tear it out. Simple!!!!!!!!!!!

ManoNegra
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Noisy as hell and not to mention the interior get really hot under your feet. Wouldn't do it again on a daily.

HalveBlue
10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Rhino liner or Dynamat by itself will not be effective in reducing noise or heat levels.

Typically noise/heat reduction methods involve applying several layers of different materials in specific spots to accomplish this task.

But the easy answer is: ask yourself what you really want to do with the car and what's acceptable to you.

If this is a track only car you may not care about the interior. If it's your daily driver the additional noise, vibrations, and heat may get annoying real quick.

But you're the only one that can make that decision.

Good Luck!

stinky_180
10-09-2007, 06:50 PM
i have everything behind the front seats removed and i dont mind it. maybe thats because i drive the car once a week. however, if you do have a loud exhaust system, it will get annoying... very quicky! also if you pick up a chick and she wants to tax it in the car... there is more room but the floor is colder... I dont know, its your call...

pr240sx
10-09-2007, 07:25 PM
For a daily driver.... NO WAY unless you want to hear all the cracking and road noise.
As for weight management, remove the tar crap, cover with any good rubber coat (LIGHT coat) and place insulation on specific and high heat areas like tranny tunnel, firewall up to where your feet are and probably under the rear seat.
And put your OEM carpet back. You will reduce a crapload of noise with just carpet and the rear seats

5t341tH
10-09-2007, 09:22 PM
i have full interior and i cant stand the noise it makes.
i hear rock chips and stuff bounce around in my rear wheel wells all the time

HalveBlue
10-10-2007, 12:56 AM
^That's because the factory sound deadening on 240's (and most other economy cars) sucks.

Just imagine how much worse it'll be without even the shitty sound deadening.

usdm180sx
10-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Add to that chassis creaking, lsd clunking, vibration from subframe spacers, coilovers squeaking and you'll just lose it.

s13gold
10-10-2007, 01:24 AM
just leave it in there. anything you remove is liek 5 pounds max. omg. wow.

theres really no point into taking anything on the interior out unless you have a cage.

the real stuff is in the glass/doors. all the safety stuff.

J-Style
10-10-2007, 03:39 AM
I removed the interior on what was my daily-driven 240sx and I regreted it. Don't do it.

Sir
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I bought my car stripped down.
All I got is dash, door panels, center console, apillar trim, seats and floor mats.
I don't even know what a 240 is like with interior - LOL.

KA24DESOneThree
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Interior sound deadening alone is 30 pounds, I believe. Add in rear seats, carpet, etc and you get a noticeable drop in weight.

I don't mind and don't care that my interior is gone. I wear earplugs on any trips where I'll be going over 60mph, though, to protect my hearing since I have a 3" exhaust on NA KA and will soon be installing a header to increase the decibels further.

I've put probably 35k miles on my car since I stripped it and I never once wished I still had it in... except when a friend's car broke down and there were two people who needed to get home, with only one seat.

usdm180sx
10-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I bought my car stripped down.
All I got is dash, door panels, center console, apillar trim, seats and floor mats.
I don't even know what a 240 is like with interior - LOL.

Damn, if you put it back in you'll think you're driving a lexus haha

I wear earplugs on any trips where I'll be going over 60mph, though, to protect my hearing since I have a 3" exhaust on NA KA and will soon be installing a header to increase the decibels further.

I've put probably 35k miles on my car since I stripped it and I never once wished I still had it in... except when a friend's car broke down and there were two people who needed to get home, with only one seat.

Damn. I hope you don't plan on taking girls out on dates with that car haha

Nikeboy355
10-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Stripped interior is only for race cars... not style...

tacotacotaco
10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I had to daily drive my track car for a while. Sounds like machine guns shooting underneath your car. i didnt have a radio but im sure with all the racket the radio would just ad to the shit sound. No ac no heater so early morning drives are a no go. Its fun for a while. IF you have no plans of making it a weekend warrior I would not gut it. You should never be driving so hard on the street that you would notice the weight savings of gutting your car. And if you just wanna gut the seats and panels DONT do it its marginal at best. If you do gut it that means tar power seatbelts everything behind the dash just to make it noticeable.
And be ready to melt some shoe sole if you dont have a highflow cat or test pipe. Also if you dont paint the interior after you gut it it will look like a patchy sick leopards ass.

I am now deaf and yell at people when im talking.

stinky_180
10-10-2007, 04:36 PM
and I never once wished I still had it in... except when a friend's car broke down and there were two people who needed to get home, with only one seat.

i feel you on that

5t341tH
10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
i have full interior and my shoes are melting at the bottom!
wtf bubbles??

Neejay
10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
What's your reason for wanting to remove it?

Hatch93Love
10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
all my interior is gone from the front seats back its not to bad with my apex knockoff lol but when i take out the spare tire the sound level will give u a head ache but for sum reason its 3x's louder on the passenger side then the drivers, but other than that ive gotten used to it. its all up to u, its ur car.

Neejay
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
all my interior is gone from the front seats back its not to bad with my apex knockoff lol but when i take out the spare tire the sound level will give u a head ache but for sum reason its 3x's louder on the passenger side then the drivers, but other than that ive gotten used to it. its all up to u, its ur car.

That's because the exhaust tone is more audible to a passenger due to the exhaust's location.