PDA

View Full Version : How has Altamont cancelling our events effected your life?

blu808
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Just wondering how Altamont canceling our events effected your outlook on drifting, and what new hobbies you have now. Including any other changes this has caused.

Me personally it has killed my business. At the same time I am not spending all my free time and money on cars it is kind of nice. Still broke though.lol

I have been riding my motorcycle alot more, and should be re building it this winter to compete in AFM next season.

Other than that I am surprised that I have not started street drifting.

I would still attend events in socal but it just seems like too much money and a huge hassle imo. Maybe if I had the money though.

Irukandji
10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
There are still events at thunderhill regularly. There's also small things here and there like J-motoring etc.

Altamont was awesome, definetly a lot of good memories there, but it's not the end of drifting in norcal.

Andrew Bohan
10-08-2007, 08:51 PM
i'm doing good.

save money on gas not going to santa clara every day.

sucks having to go to thunderhill all time and not even use the big track though.

mestizo
10-08-2007, 09:01 PM
sucks having to go to thunderhill all time and not even use the big track though.

Agreed, but hopefully if we get enough interest and people to actually show up we may eventually get the track.

Andrew Bohan
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
the problem right now is that the big track is booked solid far in advance, so thunderdrift just squeezes in on the same day as other groups using the big track. there's nothing actually preventing drifting from getting on the big track besides money.

(which makes it fun for photographers. 2 events for the price of none)

hay_hay13
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
well there's thunderdrift events that conepirate has got going at thunderhill every month so its a place although it isn't a track like altamont. altamont was just a dope place to go. i have to admit since it was closed down to us drifters and the stereotypes they said about us it really stopped me from drifting on the streets. setting an example i guess but im still broke somehow even though i don't spend as much money on my car and trackdays...

blu808
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Yea I would go to conepirates events if they used te actual track.

darius_tii
10-08-2007, 10:58 PM
ya..well it sucksss to say he least
I have been doing countless trips down to socal and went up to thunderhill once and never realized how lovely Altamon really was

HOLY CRAP are the trips down to socal expensive and scarryy when you dont have a trailer

I have been actually spending more money and i have kept up with drifting but im sure it would be alot easyer if altamont was back up and running

Im glad to see not too many street drifting thigns have been going on..

well i just now realized, after it was gone, how wasome Altamont really was

Thanks
Darius

mrmephistopheles
10-09-2007, 12:27 AM
moved to MoSpo

007jpang
10-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I have been riding my motorcycle alot more, and should be re building it this winter to compete in AFM next season.

SICK!!!! I want to get into AFM. ttyl

Luke

007jpang
10-09-2007, 12:55 AM
But basically SCHool, beer, and motorcyles

NemeGuero
10-09-2007, 02:27 AM
fuckin' bored. I want to drive.

YUNG DRIF
10-10-2007, 02:02 AM
My effect on life. I' M very depressed and wanna die.I smoke weed to calm my sadness. Every night i cry to sleep. O Altamont comeback dear/. My solution to this problem is throwin an event at the Air base Im' working on the permit thing process Hopefully i get it.

blu808
10-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Nice. that would be sweet.

NemeGuero
10-10-2007, 11:52 AM
My effect on life. I' M very depressed and wanna die.I smoke weed to calm my sadness. Every night i cry to sleep. O Altamont comeback dear/. My solution to this problem is throwin an event at the Air base Im' working on the permit thing process Hopefully i get it.

Where is this air base at?

and i've been hearing rumors of possibilities of re-opening Altamont for us. Anyone know more about this?

santacruisin
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
probably the one in Hayward^^^^

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
10-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I will be meeting with the owners of Altamont Race Track and the Alameda County tomorrow to try and get the drift program back. The county banned drifting and they want Evans Racing to do sound tests and exhibition tomorrow for the county... We may also run our S13 for Tandems. Tony B and Dave S will be driving.

Thats all I know.

MELLO*SOS
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Sucks you guys lost that venue! It's similar out here we lost the Boulder EVOC lot, LVMS wants nothing to do with us and Spring Mountain isn't the best track layout for drift. So its 4+ hrs and $$$ every (few) month to WSIR for us... :(

You should get in touch with this guy Newman (http://site101.website4now.com/vegasdrift/www/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=37) who helped us coordinate the VegasDrift 006 event at Nellis AFB 2 wks ago. He might have some insight for you if you're serious about organizing something on a base..

GL to you guys hope you get something local... Until then, see you at WSIR :duh:

YUNG DRIF
10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
The Naval base in Alameda. And that is great news about Altamont

Jonnie Fraz
10-10-2007, 08:48 PM
The Naval base in Alameda. And that is great news about Altamont

Sick!...I would like to hear more about what you had to do to set this up. I would like to somthing simular here in Sac. Also I would love to come to your event to show support...I know a couple who would be down...Met?

santacruisin
10-11-2007, 09:19 AM
an event in sac would be excellent. much more convenient than t-hill.

tknbkthrsdy4anfg
10-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Sick!...I would like to hear more about what you had to do to set this up. I would like to somthing simular here in Sac. Also I would love to come to your event to show support...I know a couple who would be down...Met?
McClellen right Jonnie? that would be sweet.
an event in sac would be excellent. much more convenient than t-hill.
Werd. T-hill is sooooo far, it might as well be the artic circle.

Okinawandrifter87
10-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Werd something in Sac would be nice!! Like Mcllelan like you said or something.. or even like the last one we did IGNITION at Cal Expo was fun too! :naughty:

Jonnie Fraz
10-11-2007, 08:39 PM
McClellen right Jonnie? That would be sweet.

That would be the plan...Right now it is a plan, but I think we could definitly fill up some classes.
I know insurance is the biggest cost. To me it is not about making money on the event...It would just be about providing a safe environment to get our slide on.
Sorry Luke..not to thread jack.

I realy wish I got out to Altamont when it was up and going I have only seen some prime video.

J-Style
10-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I have never been to Altamont. :-/

Andrew Bohan
10-11-2007, 10:00 PM
well you suck then. lol.

J-Style
10-12-2007, 02:46 AM
^ This was when I had just bought my 240sx and I hadn't joined a forum yet, so I didn't know what Altamont was or where it was until after I joined Zilvia, but it was too late then.

Andrew Bohan
10-12-2007, 03:00 AM
sucks.

those of us who have driven there will remember it like how hippies remember the 60s

hahah

Hillkill
10-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Dammit I miss NCDA and all the cheap awesome events they threw. Altamont was the $#it back in the day. I actually ended up moving to socal because there were no more close events to go to. I'm as broke as ever still trying to get my slide on. I go surfing now when I don't have money to buy parts for my car, which happens to be more often than not. I always thought the next best place to drift in the bay would be the Alameda naval base. I mean they let the mythbusters do some crazy crap there right? If anyone books Alameda for a venue I will be there.
Luke you comming to any events down here soon?

Irukandji
10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I have never been to Altamont. :-/

BAN

just kidding

balmo
10-13-2007, 04:19 PM
i've been doing okay. it was the same time when they pulled the plug at altamont when i was transitioning form a college student to a working professional, so it took my mind away from all drifting struggle in norcal. i do picked up another hobby:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/dorihachigo/pleasanton%20ridge%2009-07-07/IMG_3363.jpg

lost a few pounds and felt healthier overall. i do plan to campaign my 86 next year though at autocross. few drifting here and there, but won't mind it if i didnt.

slidesteady
10-20-2007, 02:06 PM
i stopped drifting.... and became a hypebeast....what a waste i have become...