PDA

View Full Version : Urgent!!! Engine Stutter issue

Sleepur
10-08-2007, 06:29 PM
well I was working on my car yesterday and I put a new clutchmaster clutch and aluminum flywheel in it. replaced the throwout bearing and everything. put the tranny back together took it for a test drive and as I was backing out I felt a really bad stutter. problem #1 Problem #2 as I was test driving it I went through the gears shifting at about 3000rpm got to 5th gear at about 65mph. slowed down and downshifted to 4th and hit the gas and had a really bad stutter with almost no power barely any acceleration. I have taken this transmission out 2 times in the past 2 days trying to figure out what the heck is wrong. please if you have any ideas please help me out.

I sent the clutch and flywheel back to clutchmaster thinking it was a defective clutch because after about 30miles of driving there were blue hot spots on the pressure plate and flywheel. :/

any info is much appreciated

blu808
10-08-2007, 08:28 PM
did you put the clutch disk in backwards?

Sleepur
10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
nope lol clutchmaster labels them "Flywheel Side" I'm damn positive it was alligned correctly the bushing was in correctly and everything. this isnt the first time I have changed the clutch/flywheel on a 240 this is just the first time I have gotten this problem. I made sure I cleaned the flywheel and the pressure plate before I put it together as well.

Luvs2slide
10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
nope lol clutchmaster labels them "Flywheel Side" I'm damn positive it was alligned correctly the bushing was in correctly and everything. this isnt the first time I have changed the clutch/flywheel on a 240 this is just the first time I have gotten this problem. I made sure I cleaned the flywheel and the pressure plate before I put it together as well.

How about the throw out bearing? Was this installed correctly? You said you done clutch jobs before, but we all make mistakes...

smurfgcr
10-08-2007, 11:42 PM
how about driveshaft? did you line that up correctly?

CoasTek240
10-09-2007, 03:33 AM
Brian, if this is you, my bad for not getting back to you sooner. Ive been really busy. I had to go out of town again yesterday. Let me know if you need help with the clutch tommorrow. I know a guy that can help.
-dave

rb25drag
10-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Sounds like an engine misfire to me!!! Nothing to do with a clutch. If it was slipping/Not able to shift/vibrates/chatters/etc that would be a clutch problem. Studder??? Better check you engine for something you maybe knocked loose. Maybe during installation of the tranny. Check for vac leaks and disconnected wires.

Sleepur
10-09-2007, 08:15 AM
yea I double checked the throwout bearing it is ok. believe me I checked every single vacuum line there is on this damn motor and all were ok. it has to be the clutch because it mainly happens when I am shifting and in reverse. I replaced plugs and plug wires already in hopes that that would clear it up I even replaced injectors. granted the car runs better when not dealing with this issue haha. I'll double check the driveshaft just to make sure all is ok there I am pretty sure that was done correctly.

and yea dave this is brian I will probably be putting it back to gether this weekend if I get the new clutch and flywheel back from clutchmasters. I'll give ya a call.

I have even replaced the coil on it in hopes that it was a spark problem. and all I ended up hacving was new parts that didnt fix the problem haha.

Maybe the driveshaft does need to be realigned but if you have any more suggestions please let me know.

Brian

RedtopTech
10-09-2007, 06:54 PM
check for loose tranny mount (esp. the t bolts that hold the mount to the tranny) they require something like 36 lb. ft. Also make certain that all engine to tranny mounts are tight. Make sure driveshaft carrier bearing is installed in the perch correctly and that those bolts are tight. You didnt forget the shim that goes between the engine and trans did you? probably not b/c if you did, you would hear some grinding from the starter(if it engages at all)if you didnt torque the flywheel bolts to proper spec and sequence, you may have warped it. were all pressure plate bolts tightend to proper torque and sequence in steps? Good luck!

Sleepur
10-09-2007, 07:08 PM
thanx a bunch redtop I'll check all that when I get my new clutch and flywheel on thursday appreciate the help :)