PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Start

steve_o1989
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Well I had this problem about 3 weeks ago. I went to start my car, started for about 1 second and then died and wouldnt start again. It ended up sitting for close to 2 weeks as I was busy. First though was fuel pump. I disconnected a fuel line and put it into a bottle, crank the engine over, and the car starts (burning what was left in the fuel rail) Also, the bottle fills so I know that the fuel pump is working. Put the fuel line back on, crank it over, and it starts right away. Let it sit to charge then I changed the battery terminals and it was good to go.

Well, today after school, the exact same thing happened. Except the car didn't really start before it died. It just sits there and cranks, but nothing. I am stuck for ideas. I am going to go change the plugs on it and see if I get anything, but what else should I check. Last thing I need is my car dying on me everyweek leaving me stranded somewhere.

The car is a 1990 Nissan 240sx. Ka24e, with about 30k on a rebuild. Engine is stock other than some MSD wires and a ricer air filter.

whiteytighties
10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Make sure your cables are tight on your battery terminals. Other than that check for power to ecu and/or error codes.

Have you checked for spark after the engine dies?

rb25drag
10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
First take a spark plug out when it will not start and turn it over and make sure you are getting spark no spark no bang. If you are then put the plug back in and check the fuel line again. You might have a clogged filter that pushes fuel every now and again. If it has junk in it you can let it set for a while and when you come back and it starts is because the garbage has settled at the bottom until you start it again.

If you are getting both fuel and spark there is no reason for it not to start.

Also check your gas cap and make sure it has no pressure on it or it could be vaper locking.

OurOnePassion
10-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Would say check the TPS... but you say it works sometimes and not others?

steve_o1989
10-02-2007, 09:40 PM
How long does is a fuel filter usually good for? I changed mine not too long ago but it way be over due. I havent checked for spark or anything yet because it is just sitting in a parking lot. Never had this problem until a couple weeks ago and then once that went away, the car ran great until today. It's irritating.

deucen
10-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I was having the same problem with my 240. The car would just crank over and over and not start. What I did was replaced the ignition coil, dist. cap and rotor, wires, plugs and fuel filter. Once those things were replaced, it started up no problem but then my car started to run rich as hell. After doing some research, I found that once the coolant temperature sensor goes bad, the car will run real rich. I replaced that and now the car starts up no problem.

rb25drag
10-03-2007, 04:59 AM
The fuel filter should be changed once evry 6 months or every time you change your air filter/ clean it.

I would say (deucen (http://www.zilvia.net/f/member.php?u=56781)) is onto something, The way you say it started and then died sounds like its running out of fuel. check for the spark first if its firing then go buy a new fuel filter and try that first. There is a combination going on there.

steve_o1989
10-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Well I get to school this morning and figure I would try to start it up...first try, no problems it fires up. My auto teacher figures that my fuel pump is starting to go on me, I figure its a good time to upgrade to a walbro 255. I am also going to change some of the ignition components while i'm at it. Am I going to run into any problems running a 255 on a completely stock engine? I know I have heard for other vehicles that it will wreck the fuel pressure regulator?

Markovich
10-03-2007, 04:54 PM
check you cts if its not plugged in or bad will most likely read -40f and will run pig rich