PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Upgrades.

AznDrftr.
09-28-2007, 03:21 AM
After finally going SR, (waiting on motor) I started working on the footwork, just wanted to post some questions here as far as how to go about.

How do I:

Replace the inner rods?

Is there a clip on the outside that i snap off and it should come off or???

Replace tension rods?

Just the 3 17mm bolts? Should i prop the wheel up so there wont be some pressure on the rod?

Kouki
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Click here for instructions to install tension rods http://www.splparts.com/doc/TensionRods/default.htm

Click here for instructions to install tie rods http://www.splparts.com/doc/SPLTieRodEnd/default.htm

AznDrftr.
09-28-2007, 10:51 AM
^Yea i saw taht already, more or less I need to know how to take off the inner rods.

aznpoopy
09-28-2007, 10:53 AM
1. remove dust boot
2. break the locking collar by bending the sides away
3. unscrew the inner tie rod

AznDrftr.
09-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Alright, I thought so, thank you for clearing that up for me. :)

AznDrftr.
10-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Okay, im stuck on tryin to get inner tie rods off.

How do i take inner tie rods off and the tie rod ends.

Thanks.

aznpoopy
10-01-2007, 09:59 PM
tie rod end:
hit the portion of the knuckle its stuck in with a metal hammer alot
then tap it once from the top and it should pop out

inner tie rod:
as i said above. what exactly are you stuck on?
the clip is not easy to get off. you basically need to break it.
as for the inner tie rod, you're not going to get enough torque to screw it off with your bare hand. you need to get a wrench on the portion that is square shaped.

LoCoBooSt
10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
post some pics and may be i can help bro...wouldnt be a bad idea to get the repair manual from local parts store.

Jung918
10-01-2007, 10:04 PM
1- take off the boot. It should be held in by a metal band that is twisted and a clamp on the other side.

2- take off the locking plate. Just pry it off. I think it is meant for one time use so you should buy a new one or use lock-tight on the new ones.

3- turn the inner tie rod off. I used adjustable wrenches.

Tie rod end
1- Bend the pin straight and hit it out. You should be able to reuse this unless you roally fucked them up.

2- Take off the crown nut.

3- Use a ball joint remover, ball joint fork, or a hammer to remove them. If you use the fork or hammer it will mess them up so if you plan on reusing them then don't use it. Also when you loosen the crown nut, don't take it off completely. Leave it threaded on but loose.

AznDrftr.
10-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Alright thanks azn, thats good for right now.

As far the reusin the tie rod ends, dont need to, i have aftermarket ones for both, inner/outter.

So i'll use this info, thanks a lot fellas. Rep added accordingly.

AznDrftr.
10-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Update:

Installed inner/outer rods. Went great....the only problem now, is that when i did install the inner rods, one of the wheels are turned in as if im turning even when one tire is straight.

I took both front wheels off, installed both sides, but realize one hub was straight and the other was turned inwards. I know i'll need an alignment, but would it be that noticeable??

What did i do wrong? How do i fix it?

Thanks.

5t341tH
10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
u didnt measure did u?
when u twisted the outter end onto the inner ends threads. did u count the threads?
did u count the stock ones?
count the threads on the one thats straight. den do it on other side

AznDrftr.
10-03-2007, 10:51 PM
^hmm i thought i did that when i realized it was crooked, but i'll do it again in the morning time.

I'll look at the one straight, count threads, and then go from there as i adjusted one side already.

thanks.

AznDrftr.
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Well seems i counted the threads on both sides the same, still one is inwards as the other one is straight. Lol, i dont know whats going on.

Any help on how to do this correctly, or that im just that blind.

aznpoopy
10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
you need to get a front end alignment

AznDrftr.
10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Yea i straightin it up pretty good actually, but of course alignment is needed anyway.