PDA

View Full Version : tranny whining

supreme_1
09-27-2007, 04:17 AM
i just picked up my 90 240 sohc ka 5speed. when i start the car up and have it in neutral with the clutch pedal up the car makes a whining sound like its really low on power steering fluid. but when i depress the clutch pedal the whining goes away.

i have a feeling that my throw out bearing is bad but am not certain.would this be my throwout thats bad?

Sir
09-27-2007, 08:57 AM
check fluid in the trans.

BoostedAuto
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
most likely....i had this problem when I installed my ACT clutch....but i gave it time and it went away....

supreme_1
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
that was the next thing i was going to turn my attention to since i have a leak from the rear seal, and 1-3 gears are a little sticky

1989rps13
09-27-2007, 05:53 PM
i have the same problem i turn my car on and the engine vibrates a lot makes the car shake a lot
and i hear the whinning noise and when i step in the clutch it kind of stops but u can still hear it a bit and when i let go of the clutch ( still in neutral ) the noise is soo loud its embaressing when i drive it on the streeets

ThatGuy
09-27-2007, 06:11 PM
If your tranny is going to whine, take it to another website. We don't like whiners on Zilvia.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck with the fix. Definitely check the fluid.

hello
09-27-2007, 06:54 PM
it's probably the throwout bearing. check your fluid first though.

good luck.

racepar1
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
If the noise goes away when you depress the clutch then it is DEFINITELY not the throw out bearing, that would make noise when you depress the clutch (throwout bearing should not quite make contact with the clutch unless your foot is on the pedal). The pilot bushing would only make noise when you are stopped, in gear, with the clutch pedal depressed (flywheel is moving, input shaft is not). What it probably is is the input bearing in the transmission because with the clutch pedal released in neutral that's the only bearing of the three that should be turning. Definitely check your fluid.

supreme_1
09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
my car is a cry baby it whines so much. i was able to drain the fluid today, but by the time i was done the auto parts store was closed.

what kind of fluid should i be using for my trans? the dripping oil from the tail shaft looks red. i thought i was supposed to use 80w gear oil or that lbn or nbl4 or something?

junkey311
09-28-2007, 06:21 PM
use 80w 90, i like redline's mt90, works great

swang
09-29-2007, 12:17 AM
remember gears clack and clunk
those gears are cracked and junk

bearings whine.
so it could be ur throwout or input shaft bearing
jus make sure u got the correct level of tranny fluid
check OEM specs.

i have the same model 240sx but im lazy to check
i hope this helps. :hsdance:

supreme_1
09-29-2007, 12:29 AM
alright so heres what i did today, i drained the fluid which was total crap, added 2.5 qts of 80w90 fluid and changed the trans mount to a nismo one since mines was dead. and still the whining persists. i have a feeling it is the throw out bearing since it gets louder with the rpms.

on a better note i found 2 vaccume leaks, tightened my valve cover, changed my plugs and oil, reset my comp and now the car runs like a champ, but it still whines like a cry baby.

my next task is to swap out transmissions since my gears are still sticky, swap out the clutch to an act, and change throw out and pilot bushing.should be done in the next week or so

S14DB
09-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Most likely the TOB.

Xren17
09-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Mostly likely you're TOB not releasing properly. I have the same problem. I adjusted the clutch release point and it seems to help a bit.

-Ren

supreme_1
09-29-2007, 01:20 AM
hmm when you adjusted the clutch point did u adjust the clutch so that it engages higher or lower? because mines is releasing nearly at the top, but of course i havent tried to look at how its adjusted yet.

supreme_1
09-29-2007, 01:24 AM
on another note, does anyone know how to install a tach?

i got an autogauge tach and theres 4 wires: red, white, green, black. i have a feeling that red is accessory, white is ignition, green is goes to your dizzy wire and black is ground. someone correct me if im wrong. and also does anyone know where to locate or what the stock tach wire looks like?

S13Leprechaun
09-29-2007, 02:01 AM
i say 99% sure its the throw out bearing... might as well get a new tranny like you said tho cause your gears are screwed and the tob is lame... good choice!

supreme_1
09-29-2007, 02:13 AM
i was able to source one locally for 40 bucks with 85k miles so i couldnt go wrong. my ex gf works at nissan so i can get killer deals, and i got a friend that can hook it up cheap with a stage 1 clutch

Xren17
09-29-2007, 02:01 PM
If it's already near the top then it's your TOB.

supreme_1
09-29-2007, 04:03 PM
yup, well i guess thats the next task.

racepar1
09-30-2007, 03:46 PM
If the noise goes away when you depress the clutch then it is DEFINITELY not the throw out bearing, that would make noise when you depress the clutch (throwout bearing should not quite make contact with the clutch unless your foot is on the pedal). The pilot bushing would only make noise when you are stopped, in gear, with the clutch pedal depressed (flywheel is moving, input shaft is not). What it probably is is the input bearing in the transmission because with the clutch pedal released in neutral that's the only bearing of the three that should be turning. Definitely check your fluid.

Apparently you people don't read very well.

supreme_1
09-30-2007, 11:55 PM
sorry i cant read. please forgive me

pr240sx
10-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Internal bearing whine

There is a couple of bearings inside, not only the input shaft bearing

misfitsfreak81
10-01-2007, 03:26 PM
it is almost certainly NOT the throw out bearing. like racepar1 said its most likely your imput shaft bearing or one of the other bearings inside the trans. this is most logical because you mentioned that it gets louder with rpms. your tob is not turning when the clutch is engaged and you are in gear. i have the same exact issue with my trans right now and am planing on tearing in to it within a month. hope this helps.

mike

supreme_1
10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
yes it certainly did help me out a bunch. but i am planning on swapping my trans out for a dohc 80something thousand mile one in good shape, so hopefully that will solve my problem, i will change the clutch along with that too. i will keep you guys updated in a bit