PDA

View Full Version : Big oil pressure problem!

Drakon
09-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I've searched and I couldn't find a topic about this..

I have a S13 blacktop SR
I was driving and kicked the rear end out, reved up to redline and heard some wierd noise. So I backed off and realized I had no boost. Drove about 1/8 mile down the road slowly and parked it at my apartment. I looked under the hood and oil was all over. I felt down and the oil filter was loose. I changed the filter, filled it back up with oil ( it was 3 quarts low) and when I started it up it was fine untill I reved it to about 3500 and I heard a pop and oil spraying. I then talked to a mechanic who has been around forever and he said it's probly my oil pressure valve that's stuck.

Question is, what is involved in accesing that. Do I have to just pull the pulleys off and then the front cover or do I need to pull the head to get to it?? I've worked on cars with belts but never a SR and a chain.

Drakon
09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
bump. please post if you can help

fliprayzin240sx
09-24-2007, 05:00 PM
What year SR are you getting your oil filter off from?

Drakon
09-24-2007, 05:21 PM
91 sentra SE-R. I used the filter for a little over 3,000 miles before this whole thing happened. So it's not something that went wrong just after changing the oil or anything like that.

fliprayzin240sx
09-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Did you figure out where its leaking from? The oil pressure sensor that sits next to the filter coudl be fucked up. As far as the noise, do you have a rocker arm stopper installed and also, are you still hearing it? You could have fucked something up in the head.

cotbu
09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Check your oil filter bracket for an old oil filter seal. If it's on there that would cause your filter to come loose. Shootin in the dark.

Drakon
09-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Well I don't see anything wrong with the pressure sensor. It's tight and while theres oil around it it's very likely from when the oil filter bulged and sprayed oil everywhere. There is no old filter seal there.

Has anyone replaced the oil pressure release valve? I have a diagram of the front cover from a 91 SE-R. Mitchell says that it's a .8 hour job to replace but that's on the SE-R. If they are the same then the valve should be next to the front cover somewhere but not requiring you to pull off the cover. I found one tube looking thing that's capped off near the water pump. Is that it? It doesn't look like it has any head so you can unbolt it. Help?

usdm180sx
09-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Try cleaning off the oil with some engine bay cleaner and start up the engine to locate the leak. Do you have an s13 FSM with the s13 sr20? That could help you locate the oil pressure valve and do some troubleshooting.

Drakon
10-01-2007, 11:13 AM
No I don't have the FSM. Where could I find it for the s13 SR?

Koopa Troopa
10-01-2007, 11:33 AM
it was 3 quarts low

I thought stock pans were only designed to hold 3 quarts........ Which is why you put 4 quarts in it so you don't oil starve the motor....

Drakon
10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I thought stock pans were only designed to hold 3 quarts........ Which is why you put 4 quarts in it so you don't oil starve the motor....

The oil was pressurized and sprayed out the gap created when the filter pushed away from the engine due to the pressure. I don't understand your reason for saying that

trmn8r
10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
i just rebuilt my sr, and i cant remember seeing an oil pressure valve unless its part of the oil pump.

Koopa Troopa
10-02-2007, 12:22 PM
The oil was pressurized and sprayed out the gap created when the filter pushed away from the engine due to the pressure. I don't understand your reason for saying that

You said it was 3 quarts too low. I'm saying the stock pan was designed to be filled to 3 quarts.

TNathe
10-05-2007, 12:22 PM
wow, pointless ^

Anywho here is the setup on the KA's
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/images/tn_DSC05902.JPG
There IS a little releif valve, its that spring dealio. Search for the FSM, i KNOW its on the internet somewhere either here or on NICO or something. Anywho, IF the oil releif valve was stuck why would your filter be blowing off? It can see 80psi ALL DAY, and does under high engine speeds, i dont think oil flow is EFFECTED by engine rpms (as in if the engine is spinning at 1500rpms i dont think 80psi would cause issues but i dunno).

Sir
10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Replace your filter, fill it up, see where its leaking from.

Koopa Troopa
10-05-2007, 04:13 PM
wow, pointless ^

Anywho here is the setup on the KA's

There IS a little releif valve, its that spring dealio. Search for the FSM, i KNOW its on the internet somewhere either here or on NICO or something. Anywho, IF the oil releif valve was stuck why would your filter be blowing off? It can see 80psi ALL DAY, and does under high engine speeds, i dont think oil flow is EFFECTED by engine rpms (as in if the engine is spinning at 1500rpms i dont think 80psi would cause issues but i dunno).

Turn your brain on. I'm trying to tell him he was more than likely running that motor dry and it's ruined.

Oil pressure increases with throttle.....

BTW Why the fuck do you capitalize every word except the letter "I" when being used as a proper noun?

Drakon
10-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Grammar police can leave. Thanks. and I didnt RUN it, I slowly drove about 1/8 mile. It should be fine.

The mechanics I've talked to about it seem to agree it's that valve. Because if it's not working then ALL the pressure is backing up between the oil pump and the filter. It's not bleeding off at all. So it's getting 80 psi THEN more since the valve isn't doing anything.

Also I didnt put a new filter on, topped off the oil and started it. No leaks anywhere. for about 1 minute I let it idle. Then I reved it to maybe 3-4k and I heard a pop and hiss and oil was going all over the ground. I checked and the new filter had been pushed away from the block and felt loose.

Koopa Troopa
10-07-2007, 12:01 PM
You using the right filter? S14 filters are bigger than 13 filters....

Besides even if you filled up the motor with 4 qt's and lost 3. 1 qt is not enough for the SR to use.

johngriff
10-07-2007, 12:41 PM
just replace the whole oil pump, in the long run it will be the best thing you can do (who doesnt like new oil pumps?)

Drakon
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
For those with lots of money laying around that's fine.

Well it's fixed! Turns out if I had replaced the whole pump it wouldn't have fixed it. It was the secondary bypass valve in the oil filter bracket assembly. I found a new bracket and replaced that and it works fine now. So for future refrence, there are 2 pressure valves. One in the front cover with the oil pump and one in the oil filter bracket.

Thank for helping to those who tried.