PDA

View Full Version : Cost to replace blown rad and water pump?

Trutrax
09-21-2007, 10:20 PM
well, I'm buying this 93 240sx and recently the current owner was driving when the belt on the waterpump snaped and in turn blew the rad. I'd like to know how much it's gonna cost me for parts an labour to replace both these parts. and any suggestions on rads would be awesome aswell...Stock engine btw. Thanks!

vader3120
09-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Well do you want a stock rad? im pretty sure i have seen a link here for cheap OEM parts, you could prob get a rad for under 150, and the belt should be cheap, local store should have that.

johngriff
09-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Labor 400-1200
Machine Service 100-400
Parts:
HG 60-150
Head Bolts 40
various 50.

Or, just find a KA someone pulled out in favor of a swap. Easy and cheap.

Trutrax
09-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Labor 1200?!! HOLY HELL... WTF

vader3120
09-21-2007, 10:57 PM
HG = Headgasket, i dont think that he has a blown headgasket.

Trutrax
09-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Correct, it is my understanding from the seller that it's only the waterpump belt and a new rad that needs to be installed.

*edit* I know this may be a really stupid question but forgive me..I'm learning. Question is, If these are the only two issues with the car...should one still be able to turn on and run the engine fine? it's just really dangerous to leave it running/drive it because there is no coolant getting to the engine?

vader3120
09-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah you can do that yourself, although i am trying to think of what he means by blown radiator?

johngriff
09-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Uhhh I suck, Staring at the screen all day, I thought it said labor on blown headgasket.. sorry my bad.

Trutrax
09-21-2007, 11:07 PM
well, I was told this...

"the water pump and all is okay atm fromw hat know... i just saw the bunch
of white smoke comin out so i stopped pulled over and got a tow... id say it
needs the belt and the rad... rad 22.99 at c tire and they didnt have any
rads o i called an aftermarket place they gave me a price for around 150.
the shop right near my house gave me a quote for 300 for both and its shitty
that it happened but what can you do ya know. regardless i wont be driving it atm since i'd never
drive the car in its current state... if you REALLY wanted you could jut get
a bigger belt to go around the water pump. i didnt see any leaks around it
tbh... just the whole in the rad and the snapped belt. regardless. car runs
but i wouldnt drive it theres no coolant going in or out. the water pump
wasnt affected form what i know since it wasnt spinning the coolant in the
rad just got too much pressure and it popped a whoe in the plastic part of
it (youll see) since its japanese its a cheap rad"

vader3120
09-21-2007, 11:15 PM
welli guess i would make sure that something like the HG is not blown and that only the radiator is your problem. Like i said before, just look for an OEM Nissan site, i can remember how much a stock rad is, but it cant be too much, if you after market, you looking at at least 250-350. Installation isnt bad, probably take an hour or two.

johngriff
09-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Nope.

I was right.

White smoke = Death.

I must be psychic.

vader3120
09-21-2007, 11:31 PM
yeah see thats what i was thinking, thats why i asked. And at that point, it would be cheaper to pull the engine and swap out with another one.

and john that physic shit is not cool man, you could really scare someone with that shit :)

slw240sx
09-22-2007, 12:26 AM
did he see white smoke from under the hood or from the exhaust? if it was the exhaust = no more headgasket, if from under the hood more then likely just the radiator blew. after all its 14 year old plastic.

whats he asking for the car? it might not be a bad deal if you can pick up a good condition KAde for around 250-400$ and install it yourself.

Jon

HalveBlue
09-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Do a compression/leakdown test if you can.

That'll at least give you an idea of the condition of your motor.

Most likely, if the waterpump gave out and blew the radiator the engine overheated.

If that's the case don't even bother trying to fix it. Just buy a used engine and call it a day. It'll be cheaper than rebuilding your engine.

If it truly is just your waterpump and radiator count yourself lucky. I'd say you're looking at US$300-400 (high estimate) to replace these items if you do it yourself (really, these components are easy to replace). New waterpumps go for around US$70 and I'm sure an OEM radiator won't break the bank either.

Good Luck!

EDIT: Since you're in Canada prices on items may be different, but worth checking into.

johngriff
09-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Eh, dont quote him US dollars, he is canadian, and even though the canadian and US is trading close to 1 to 1, that doesnt mean there market place has adjusted to the exchange rate.

A 6 pack of heineken was 7.40 at my local liquor store. Its around 13.50(CAN) in canada.

HalveBlue
09-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Eh, dont quote him US dollars, he is canadian, and even though the canadian and US is trading close to 1 to 1, that doesnt mean there market place has adjusted to the exchange rate.

A 6 pack of heineken was 7.40 at my local liquor store. Its around 13.50(CAN) in canada.

Duely noted. Post edited.

Thanks for the heads up. :bigok:

johngriff
09-22-2007, 12:50 AM
LOL, no I was just poking fun.

Really, he should cross the border to get his parts ;)

Canadians have been poking fun at us about the 1 to 1 thing.

ilovecoupes
09-22-2007, 01:49 AM
you can find a good used rad for 40 dollars. but it might not even be the radiator. and its very easy to you yourself.

Trutrax
09-22-2007, 07:20 AM
yeah, he said the smoke was from under the hood. So I hope to god it's just the rad and waterpump. Before I buy the car should I ask him to turn on the car and see if there is any white smoke coming from the exhaust?

CityHunt3R
09-22-2007, 08:10 AM
might as well use this as an excuse to get an aftermarket aluminum radiator that is more resisstant to corrosion

slw240sx
09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
yeah, he said the smoke was from under the hood. So I hope to god it's just the rad and waterpump. Before I buy the car should I ask him to turn on the car and see if there is any white smoke coming from the exhaust?

I would fill the thing up with water, and either let it run for a few or drive it around the block depending on how much water it leaks.

Turtle
09-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Check the oil if its milky or not. =]

johngriff
09-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Turtle, good line of thinking.

Do a compression test if you can.

But REALLY. The drive to get a "good deal" isnt always based off of "HOW CHEAP" something is, a good deal is arriving at the right price for the right quality.

Just think about it.

Phlip
09-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Also, if you're looking for a "stock" replacement rad and aren't looking to spring for the big dollar aftermarket ones, NAPA's S13 rad does not have the plastic tanks, which is a good idea in comparison, in my opinion.

Trutrax
09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Awesome, thanks for all your help guys. ^_^