PDA

View Full Version : Replacing oil pan gasket

thelinja
09-20-2007, 10:04 AM
My oil pan has developed a small leak over the past several months. I was already planning to install new engine mounts this fall, so I figure I might as well change the oil pan gasket while I'm down there. Would it be best to just get a new gasket from the dealer, or just use liquid gasket?

Also, does anyone here have/know of a write up for this?

JDS Performance
09-20-2007, 10:26 AM
My oil pan has developed a small leak over the past several months. I was already planning to install new engine mounts this fall, so I figure I might as well change the oil pan gasket while I'm down there. Would it be best to just get a new gasket from the dealer, or just use liquid gasket?

Also, does anyone here have/know of a write up for this?

there are write-ups on it - I dont remember what site it was maybe KA-T.org - search it man!

yes its a PITA to do on the car
- drain oil of course
- basiclly loosen motor mount bolts - not all the way off!
- jack up motor enough for oil pan to clear cross member
- then take off gussets
- then remove all oil pan bolts
- then use a scarper and cut liquid gasket
- do not scratch or gouge oil pan or block!
- the pull down oil pan enough to get your hand in ther to unbolt the oil pick up tube
- then remove oil pan and pick up (dont lose the o-ring)
- then clean all from gasket
- use liquid gasket and go on inside of bolt holes on oil pan then put it all back on in revers
- be careful not to pull gasket off oil pan when installing oil pick up tube (dont forget to instal o-ring back on!
- bolt all oil pan bots back on and torque down to spec

I have tricks when doing this - I dont instal liquid gasket until after oil pick up is installed - but its real tricky - and you wanna make sure you use enough gasket maker - or you will be doing this agin really soon!

Big-O_S13
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
here
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11060&highlight=s13+oil+pan+removal

thelinja
09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
thanks broseph.

I helped my friend change his oil pan gasket on his RX-7 before. It wasn't too bad. We had a 2 post lift though, this time I'll be using jackstands.:eek3d:

new_to_drift
10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
with the KA your going to have to drop down the frame supports, then pull the motor a little bit w.o taking off the bolts completely, thats what i had to do when a cam bolt fell into the oil pan.if you dont do this you wont be able to get the pan off because of the oil pump.