PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! SR Quit while out of town!

whippet
09-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm about an hour from home and this happens:

Going about 80mph, I shift to 4th gear, and floor it. The engine sputters several times, so I put it back to 5th and slow down. Get off the interstate, and it runs like shit. Wont rev past 1,500 RPM, and hesitates/sputters like crazy. I try to make it to work (about 2miles), but ALL the POWER disappears. I let it sit for a couple of mins idling, and it started running again, but not past 1,500 rpm, and still sputtering.

A light flashed quickly that I've never seen before. It looks like a rectangle, with heat rising off it.

BTW the car is a '95 Silvia with a SR stock. It has a blitz BOV, 3" exhaust w/OEM cat that has an O2 in it, and that's it.

Really hope not to leave it here tonight.

Sileighty_85
09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Check your Vacuume lines and connections and your MAF / MAF Filliment

The recangular light was an exhaust Over Temp Light

whippet
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
will do.

If it's not vacuum lines or faulty MAFS, could it be something that will just "cool-off"?

Sileighty_85
09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
oh yeah and of course check all of your turbo connections

umm ive never really heard of anyone ever having a problem with an Exhaust Over Temp.

But check your ECU for codes

bluemax
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
check for busted coupling/connectors that may cause boost leak. That was what happened to me when I floor it hard once and heard a loud pop. Lucky for me it was an easy find and fix.

good luck

whippet
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
bump

getting off work soon

whippet
09-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Update: turned out the fuel pump went caput. The fuel filter was pretty stopped-up as well.

MADE
09-23-2007, 09:37 AM
If its the exhuast temp light check your plugs, I had a similar issue with my RB and I tried everything under the sun except the plugs. Turns out the #3 plug was bad causing my car to miss and not rev pass a certain point. Not sure with the SR but give it a shot.