PDA

View Full Version : Koyo radiator on an Automatic will it work?

671SpiritRacing
09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a koyo aftermarket polished radiator for my S14. I noticed that the OEM radiator has some hoses leading to the trans (I think), they are small hoses. I noticed that the Koyo radiator does not have any connection for these hoses. Is there any way to make this work? Is there an integrated transmission cooler in my oem radiator? Can I just buy an aftermarket B&M transmission cooler and hook this up? My car is auto at the moment but I am actively looking for a 5spd transmission to swap out, but with this nice shiny radiator sitting in my room, I am itcing to put it on. Can anyone help me. Thanks

trsilvias13
09-19-2007, 11:19 AM
You can use the Koyo for the radiator and then use an aftermarket cooler for the transmission. OBX has a cheap one, and you can use that as a temp and just dont feel as back shelling out for a B&M one later when you swap out to a 5spd.

los_inc
09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
let me know how this works out i'm stuck on the same boat.
-los

671SpiritRacing
09-19-2007, 05:37 PM
You can use the Koyo for the radiator and then use an aftermarket cooler for the transmission. OBX has a cheap one, and you can use that as a temp and just dont feel as back shelling out for a B&M one later when you swap out to a 5spd.

Thanks for the reply. So I would just have to hook up whatever hoses for the OEM tranny cooler had to the aftermarket cooler. Is it just as simple as that or will I have to do something else to hook up the tranny cooler? I want to make sure I have everything that I need to do this right, because I can't afford any down time.

rican_nick
09-19-2007, 06:14 PM
pretty much.. also almost any aftermarket Oil cooler will most likely be an upgrade to stock configuration where it goes into the rad.

If i am not mistaken the tranny lines are a rubber lines. So a decent sized cooler with barbed fittings some hose clamps and some length of hose to mount the cooler somewhere out of the way.. pretty straight forward

I had to do this on my buddies Supra when I did his front mount for him.. the MKIV has a "cooling" loop for the power stearing that goes right across where the core of the cooler would be.. I cut the hard lines and put a oil cooler purchased from summit and mounted it off to the side..