PDA

View Full Version : Another "Is My Clutch Going Out?" Thread

Tops*
09-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't have any time to work on my car during the week, so I thought I'd get everyone's opinion before I got under the car. I searched around, but couldn't find a scenario similar to mine, so anyway...When I turn the car on, there's an initial slight grinding noise that comes from the tranny. I've been having trouble getting the car in reverse, so I've been putting the car in first, then reverse the past week. I can't downshift into 4th for some odd reason and have trouble occasionally upshifting the car into 4th as well. When upshifting into 4th, if I let the car cruise at a rpm in 3rd for a few seconds, it'll glide right into 4th no problem. I'm able to rip through all the gears without my clutch slipping. Bad clutch master and slave cylinder? Bad clutch? Thanks for the help in advance.

benefitx
09-18-2007, 05:55 PM
bleed your slave?

punxva
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
do you smell anything around the shift boot when it's grinding, also check the transmission fluid, and the clutch fluid. If you aren't slipping then it's more than likely not your clutch, but maybe your syncro's or just not enough transmission fluid

johngriff
09-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Bleed the system, then adjust it. If the problem persists, it may be synchro damage.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1089147#post1089147

that is a link to a write up I did for adjusting the pedal.

Drftn93SR
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
K my friend has a similar problem in his mustang, try shifting really really easy into the next gear. Dnt force it at all. It it goes in like that, your synchroes are going bad. If not its something else...

Tops*
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
do you smell anything around the shift boot when it's grinding, also check the transmission fluid, and the clutch fluid. If you aren't slipping then it's more than likely not your clutch, but maybe your syncro's or just not enough transmission fluid

There's no smell coming around the shift boot. It only grinds for a split second when I turn the car on. The clutch fluid was fine, I'll change out the tranny fluid this weekend and hope for improvements.

Bleed the system, then adjust it. If the problem persists, it may be synchro damage.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1089147#post1089147

that is a link to a write up I did for adjusting the pedal.

I hope it's not my synchros. I don't have money right now to spend on rebuilding a tranny. I'm guessing it'd be a lot cheaper to just buy a SR tranny.

K my friend has a similar problem in his mustang, try shifting really really easy into the next gear. Dnt force it at all. It it goes in like that, your synchroes are going bad. If not its something else...

Yeah...I'm really hoping it's not my synchros. I'm really not sure though. I can shift smoothly through all the gears in the city. I can go WOT and shift fine through all the gears (without banging through them). It's just when I'm moderately accelerating when I have trouble with 4th.

Tops*
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
If there were to be air in the lines, is it something that'd get progressively worse if the issue wasn't fixed? I really hope it's a cheap fix, cause damn, I'm not going to be rolling around on cheap summer tires in the Michigan winter. Thanks for all the help so far.