PDA

View Full Version : Spool, no boost.

benefitx
09-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Well i got off of work , started driving my car...after it was warmed up i went WOT and after that , it will not boost..

turbo is a gt2871rs...

ive checked all intercooler couplers and clamps and they are good...

also the turbo spools really loud , its the most annoying thing ive ever heard...its a loud "supercharger-like" sound....

and there is no bov...but turbo spools...wtf...and the turbo does not sound normal at ALL

johngriff
09-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Leaks. Check.

Shaft Play. Check that.

Obstructions in the intake. Check that.

No psi?

Sounds like a boostleak.

benefitx
09-13-2007, 05:06 PM
what do you mean by obstructions in the intake?...

and why would it make a supercharger noise...its the loudest whistle i have ever heard

is my bov blown maybe?

johngriff
09-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Dude. Just check the stuff I told you to.

Obstruction in the intake would be something blocking its path, or the rubber hose collapsing in on itself under load.

nissanguy13
09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Not to say you didn't check well enough. But you might want to take each pipe off and inspect each coupler carefully for any small rips, holes, etc. Sometimes it's as little as taking the pipe out, reseating it, and tightening it back down.

GL

EDIT: I didn't noticed you had a BOV. It might be loose or leaking through there. if you can take it off and cap it, or if you have a pipe with no flange try that first. Main problems that cause boost leaks are the BOV, couplers and vaccumm lines leaking, not on tight enough

Masterdebater
09-13-2007, 05:24 PM
check vacuum hoses. check timing. sry im not sure what engine u have either. ANY AIR LEAK WILL CAUSE THIS PROBLEM!! i just went through this with the ca and it was cuz i blew the FPR vac hose off haha. let ur engine run til its warmed up and idling normal, take a can of brake clean and spray on all areas of motor, if u hear the engine stumble as if it was trying to die, u have found ur vacuum leak.

iHeart240
09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
could be blown like what johngriff said check spindle. my friends made the same noise kinda sounded like a jet then booom
any oil anywhere??

benefitx
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM
no oil anywhere...this is a BRAND NEW turbo...ive put like maybe 60 miles on it...

all the couplers are good....i was pretty sure i blew off some piping but its not...

benefitx
09-13-2007, 05:50 PM
took off the intake elbow...

lots of shaft play...

nissanguy13
09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
ouch......did you buy your turbo from a reliable source?

benefitx
09-13-2007, 05:56 PM
my friend...it was brand new..didnt pay anything on it yet...just gave him my blown t25+400 but havent paid yet...ah damn, it was a bitch to put in there too

((sr)) kelly
09-13-2007, 05:56 PM
is your bov connected to the vac line??

is your bov leaking... is it opening prematurly..

h ad pretty much the same problem.. my vac line randomly came off my bov

benefitx
09-13-2007, 05:58 PM
well , i was hoping it was just a boost leak but theres alot of shaft play

bardabe
09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
DUM DUM DUM! sucks, time to upgrade / rebuild

johngriff
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
yeah, supercharger death noise equals F'd turbo.

Too bad to hear about that. Probably had bad oil lines/pressure/setup. Turbo's dont die for no good reason, your old one probably crapped out for the same reasons.

benefitx
09-13-2007, 06:48 PM
well, it had no leaks. and wasnt blowing smoke.

johngriff
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Sounds like it was getting.

no oil.

Pull the oil drain tube off, and crank the engine up, you know, just for fun.

benefitx
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
oh well , the car is for sale now. spent way too much money in it.

johngriff
09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
heh, can you snap a picture of this 2871? Specifically the stamped tag on the center section? :-D

benefitx
09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
the for sale thread

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36065727#post36065727

oh and it is a taiwanese turbo.

johngriff
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
oh and it is a taiwanese turbo.

If you had said that in your first post, I would have instructed you on lighting the car on fire, instead of trying to diagnose what the problem was.

Yeah. Ebay turbo = no good. You have NEVER heard that before????

benefitx
09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
no one else had a t25, and the guy lived up the street from me. this is why i did not pay him yet. and i dont expect to

johngriff
09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
no one else had a t25, and the guy lived up the street from me. this is why i did not pay him yet. and i dont expect to

no. You took something, you knew was probably bad. Broke it. And now your not going to pay him.

Where is the honor in that?

benefitx
09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
turbo was brand new. i fully was going to pay him.

but i talked to him and i told him that i will pay him even though i will be just losing money...he said okay this and that

he called me back later on saying he has an 18g greddy turbo , he feels bad that it happened and i have to sell my car for it...but at this point i just cannot work on the car anymore.

still going to pay him regardless, dont know why i posted i dont expect to.

fliprayzin240sx
09-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Umm we cant see the picture of this turbo. Like steve said, either no oil going into the turbo or too much oil if theres no restrictor some where in the line. I blew a legit GT2871R, shiet cost me me $600 to "rebuild" it. They dont really rebuild it, they just swap the center for a fresh one and reuse everything else off your old turbo.

johngriff
09-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Umm we cant see the picture of this turbo. Like steve said, either no oil going into the turbo or too much oil if theres no restrictor some where in the line. I blew a legit GT2871R, shiet cost me me $600 to "rebuild" it. They dont really rebuild it, they just swap the center for a fresh one and reuse everything else off your old turbo.

unngg... my name is john...

DJ_Sunrise
09-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I once heard John Griff can unscramble an egg. I personally saw him count to infinity, TWICE.

At any rate.. Don't sell the car dude. I've read about you going through a ton of shit with it. Keep it. Buy a blown T25 and a rebuild kit and throw it on, atleast have something you know??

-Bart

benefitx
09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
yep , not ever giving up...even though my parents can bitch non stop...

just bought an s14 bb t28...taka braided lines... a .06 restrictor...and new gaskets to go around! weeeeeee

burnsauto
09-26-2007, 08:24 AM
yep , not ever giving up...even though my parents can bitch non stop...

just bought an s14 bb t28...taka braided lines... a .06 restrictor...and new gaskets to go around! weeeeeee

thata boy!

do you have a oil pressure gauge? if not, i'd highly recommend one. just make sure you've got oil pressure coming from that feed line when you're bolting up that t28. i've seen two blown turbos in the same day (on the same car) because of a clogged oil feed line.

benefitx
09-26-2007, 08:26 AM
theres definetly oil from the feed line, maybe too much...

pulled off my gt2871rs and there was oil ALL over the compressor housing , all in my elbow , and pouring out of every hole in the turbo...

soooooo, is the .06 restrictor right for my application? wheres harp from taka...

i have a oil psi gauge but dont have the fitting that goes into the oil filter plate...eh i'll just buy another oil psi gauge