PDA

View Full Version : Help with small rebuild

LocalStreetHero
09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Trying to make a long post short...Got my first SR, previous owner drove his car with the motor in, it did run, however not well. Had somewhat bad compression and he couldn't boost high.
So my first SR, i want to freshen up the motor a bit before i drop it in. I was told if i just replace the Head Gasket, previous symptoms will go away. Let me know what you think of this list for the engine. I'm not looking to go for huge HP numbers down the road. All i want is a good stock running Red top.
Here goes:

*OEM head gasket (cuz i already have it)
*Peak Performance Valve springs
*ARP head studs
*HKS or Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers (why is HKS so much more?)
*OEM Water pump
*New belts and hoses
*New Turbo Lines

I'm not sure what retainers to go with. They all seem highly priced and i just read i should be ok with stock ones. i will get the head machined/resurfaced and put all back together. What else should I look into?

Thanx a million in advance.

MavericStephenc
09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
i like the jun valve retainers. as for the h/g i'm not a huge fan of the stock ones if you can apexi has a great stock thickness metal h/g
i think all ras are all the same so i dont have and advice there

GSXRJJordan
09-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Dont need valve springs or retainers (most JDM builders recommend stock retainers for use with their springs anyway).

Don't need ARP studs. Get OEM head bolts from West Co Justin.

Greddy RAS are fine.

New water pump is a GREAT idea. I'd get a new oil pump too, and a blacktop oil pickup.

Make sure to prep the block/head before head gasket install, and if "da wood" = Inglewood, hit up Steve Shadows on here for install tips/some install help if you need it.

steve shadows
09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Trying to make a long post short...Got my first SR, previous owner drove his car with the motor in, it did run, however not well. Had somewhat bad compression and he couldn't boost high.
So my first SR, i want to freshen up the motor a bit before i drop it in. I was told if i just replace the Head Gasket, previous symptoms will go away. Let me know what you think of this list for the engine. I'm not looking to go for huge HP numbers down the road. All i want is a good stock running Red top.
Here goes:

what does not good compression mean? Are you sure absolutley positively (if i fuck this up there is a Nuclear Holocaust because the RED OCTOBER code is wrong) sure that it was head gasket failure that caused the comp reading off?

If you are sure

*OEM head gasket (cuz i already have it)
*Peak Performance Valve springs
*ARP head studs
*HKS or Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers (why is HKS so much more?)
*OEM Water pump
*New belts and hoses
*New Turbo Lines

I'm not sure what retainers to go with. They all seem highly priced and i just read i should be ok with stock ones. i will get the head machined/resurfaced and put all back together. What else should I look into?

You provide all the the parts Ill have the machining done and install everthing to spec per ARP or FSM reccomendations. Ive done so moany of these now I can do them in my sleep.

PM me for a rate/labor price.

otherwise good luck.

LocalStreetHero
09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
MavericStephenc:
I'm going with the OEM replacement cuz i already have it in hand. Jun is stupid expensive. I would go for the Brian Cower spring and retainer pak, but they are on back order.

GSXRJJordan:
I wish "da Wood" was inglewood. Its actually Woodland. Basically sacramento. I swore i changed that a long time ago. oh well.
Why not change out the valve springs and get ARP studs? While I'm in there putting in new RAS, might as well get those right?
New oil pump and a blacktop oil pickup sound good, do you know where I can find a black top oil pick up?

steve shadows:
i wish i could see you about machine work, but I'm in NorCal.
My friend had the engine before me and they did a compression test. I dont remember what the numbers were exactly, but there were low. He wouldn't sell me a POS engine, and he said thats all it would take to fix the problems.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

MavericStephenc
09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
i think tomei might make retainers as well. good luck though

GSXRJJordan
09-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Tomei doesn't make retainers for their Type A springs (which I had), they recommend use of stock retainers.

OEM VALVE HARDWARE (springs, retainers, valves, lifters, cam gears) is FINE for a stock or mildly upgraded engine. Even on mild cams, as long as there's not 12mm of lift, stock springs are fine. Stock cams = definitely stock springs.

There's no argument for changing any of it: installing rocker arm stoppers does not require taking anything OUT of the head, just popping the valve cover and taking out that one metal piece. Changing springs/retainers/etc requires removing the cams, which means timing chain drama, bleeding lifters, etc, etc.

Converting to stock-sized ARP studs is pointless. Get a new set of OEM bolts though, because they change shape when you torque them properly (re-using bolts is lame, it's like $30 for new ones).

Lots of real shops carry blacktop pickups; heavy throttle, sr20store, Zilvia sponsors, West Co Nissan, etc. Check around.

And clap yourself on the back for fixing the motor BEFORE you put it in the car - most people don't have that much foresight :)

LocalStreetHero
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
These head studs? or something else? If so, how many is needed? (DAMN I DONT KNOW SHIT!!!)
http://phase2motorsports.stores.yahoo.net/oemsrhebo.html

Do you think Heavy Throttle's "EZ install kit" is a good buy? comes with for 89 bux:
* 5 rib Alternator Belt & 4 rib Power Steering Belt
* AIV hole threaded plug (S13 SR only)
* 3 piece upper Radiator Hose Kit for US Radiator (one piece for JDM Radiator) with chrome crossover pipe and clamps.
* Lower radiator hose, with mesh covering and clamps
* 3 piece Heater Hose Kit with coupling and clamps
* Instructions

Also, since i have to replace my HG, the head is coming off. Is it ok to just leave the stock valves and retainers as they are? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but its my first time ever messing with an engine period. Will there still be "timing chain drama, bleeding lifters, etc, etc." if i just replace the HG?

Thanx for being so patient with me. I'm trying to learn more and more as i go.

So far things for sure i'm getting are
Greddy RAS
Water Pump
Oil Pick Up
already have stock HG
OEM Head Studs

Hows it lookin now? And yes, i'm still just trying to get a reliable running stock SR. Not over powering monster beast engine.

GSXRJJordan
09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Yup, those are the head bolts listed up there from Phase2, but that's way too much money (there's 8 of em IIRC) - hit up West Co Justin here on zilvia and he can get you a better deal.

If you still have a stock KA radiator and a stock turbo elbow, then I'd say that EZ Install Kit would be worth it. The belts aren't that expensive, but the radiator tubing is a necessity as is the AIV plug (unless you just cut and pinch the tube like everyone I've seen lol).

Pulling the head does involve "timing chain drama", I didn't think about that. I still don't think you should replace springs/retainers.

I'd also say new oil pump if you want, not nearly as important as the h20 pump.

And I have to say that the first part of Steve's post is definitely relevant - you should be damn sure that the head gasket's the problem, otherwise you'll be rebuilding the bottom end, and should just dump this motorset while you can and buy a known good one from an importer.

LocalStreetHero
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
So if i dont replace the springs/retainers, they can just stay on the head and it can get resurfaced w/o an issue? I have an SR radiator already, but do have the stock elbow. I've heard of oil pick up issues with sr's before, so for sure i'm getting the pick up.

Thanx a lot for all your help man, i really appreciate it!