PDA

View Full Version : Hub/bearing problem diagnose?

skylindrftr
09-10-2007, 01:14 AM
One of my wheels does not seem to rotate as it should anymore (it wobbles a fuckload) and I suspect one of these three things:

-Wheel bearing
-hub messed up?
-The shaft the hub rotates on is bent?

Basically I need help diagnosing the problem I have. The actual bearing does not really seem to have much play at all. When I took off the wheel and just rotated the disk (without caliper or bracket on) it seemed to it seemed to wobble even though i had lugnuts on it and was tightened down.

I know it's kind of a dumbass question and most would immediately diagnose it as a wheel bearing, but it does not have much play, so I am worried that is might be something else.

Thanks for any help.

projectRDM
09-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Wheel bearing, unless the hub face is bent, which is pretty damn hard to do.

skylindrftr
09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah i was thinking that, but I was like, i am pretty sure this is cash iron and will crack before bending...

skylindrftr
09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
ok... so today i pulled off the hubs on my 90 and compared them to the ones i was having problems with...apparently i managed to warp/mess up the ones on my 93, i am guessing this is because i forgot to put in retainer the first time i put on my brakes...they sounded real fucked up when i tried to drive...

fliprayzin240sx
09-10-2007, 11:46 PM
If you put the wheels back on, see if the wheels wobble. If you press top and bottom of the wheels and it moves, bearings shot.

skylindrftr
09-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Hmm... thanks for the tip i will try that tomorrow, when the wheels were on it did wobble, but i didnt check to see which way that was...

skylindrftr
09-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Anyone know if not putting the retainers in the brakes can mess up the hubs?

LigouriRd
09-12-2007, 08:24 AM
The pad retainers i.e. the thin metal pieces that the pads move back and for in?
I caint imagine how that would damage the hubs. The pads would just rattle around whenever the brakes were not used.

Chiming in here cause I have been experiencing a strange low speed cyclic noise (whu whu whu) ever since I put my new daily driver wheels on (Work VS-XX 17x8 +30 front and 17x8 +30 rear with kumho mx 225/45-17 and 245/45-17 f&r respectively). There is no rubbing, and there is no slack as I pull on the wheels top or bottom, but now as I have been driving on them more the car is pulling to the left. I am going to try switching back to my race wheels temporarily to see if the problem remains, might need an alignment otherwise maybe a bad hub bearing for me too.