PDA

View Full Version : help needed with stance coilovers.

mrjeffr0
09-06-2007, 05:59 PM
so i just got some stance basics for my s14. i understand that your supposed to adjust the ride height from the bottom correct? i did that with the front coilovers easy. but are the rears different? i made the dampener all the way soft and the bottom will not twist at all. is there something that im missing to loosen it? cuz right now im tucking tire in the rear and not in the front because i cant raise the back.

thanks and please help!

aznpoopy
09-06-2007, 06:12 PM
you blew them up. j/k

damping click has nothing to do with the shock body height adjustment
if it gets seized (and coilovers always get seized) just spray a ton of pb blaster on there and let it soak in

then put gloves on and try to man handle it

or tighten the spring perch and its locking perch together and tap it one way or the other with a hammer and an extension to try to get the coil body to spin independently of the lower bracket

be creative. coilovers suck! and they really shouldn't be stuck like that brand new.
usually everything should be real easy to turn when its new

mrjeffr0
09-07-2007, 01:21 AM
damn guess ill have to keep going at it then.....this sucks, i just want to be normal like everybody else. ahah thanks.

Z33dori
09-07-2007, 01:24 AM
bolt them up then tighten the spring perches all the way.

loosen the perch around the bottom mount and u should be able to twist the rest of the coilover completely

of course this is once u have it bolted up.

D1GP
09-07-2007, 07:49 PM
pb them bishes, get the wrenches on, and use a mallet or hammer.

LIXADO
12-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I think I'm having a similar problem with my new Tanabe Pro Sustec Fives. The rear shock doesn't seem to adjust height the same way as the fronts. On these, there is no locking nut at the bottom of the shock thread. The adjustable nuts on the threaded shock body seem to adjust the helper spring pre-load and not the ride height. I might start this as a different thread.

tekniq
12-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Are you having this problem with both of the rears? And did they come out of the box at that height so now your trying to raise your car or did you tighten it to lower first and now it won't come back up? Also I found it easier for the rear if you unbolt the bottom sleeve and spin it instead of trying to spin the whole coilover because it messes with your preload. Although when you use that method with the fronts the preload is unaffected.

I had a similar problem with one of my rear stances. It would seize up after I get to a certain height while lowering it. Did everything I could think of to fix it...but to no prevail. In the end turned out the coil sleeve was cross threaded...

lflkajfj12123
12-12-2008, 06:24 PM
you blew them up. j/k

damping click has nothing to do with the shock body height adjustment
if it gets seized (and coilovers always get seized) just spray a ton of pb blaster on there and let it soak in

then put gloves on and try to man handle it

or tighten the spring perch and its locking perch together and tap it one way or the other with a hammer and an extension to try to get the coil body to spin independently of the lower bracket

be creative. coilovers suck! and they really shouldn't be stuck like that brand new.
usually everything should be real easy to turn when its new

do everything this man said