PDA

View Full Version : redtop spools but boost doesnt make it to the wheels.

unwtdhero
09-01-2007, 12:00 PM
So i got this car a month ago, and all it needed was a alternator. So i ordered one off here and installed it and it works, but heres the problem. I thought i had a boost leak, but my gauge says vacuum lowest : 20; Boost highest:7.
So alls good except when i drive every gear the bov (hks ssqv2) always whistles. And none of my boost is reaching the wheels, and my clutch seems to catch very well (stage 3). So help pleeze, i have searched but nothing is of help. thanks yall.

projekt_s13
09-01-2007, 12:07 PM
when does the bov "whistle"? Is it a constant whistle or does it just blow off when you let off the throttle.

johngriff
09-01-2007, 12:08 PM
A: SSQV Has a short lifespan probably about 2-4 years depending on abuse.

B: Where is the vacuum gauge hooked to? IF it is connected to the intake manifold, yes the boost is getting to the engine, if it is connected at a pipe before the BOV it is likely you are reading before a leak.

Answer and proceed.

unwtdhero
09-01-2007, 12:14 PM
constant whistle, and until i let it out

unwtdhero
09-01-2007, 12:17 PM
the line that goes to under the throttle body comes around and hooks up the vacuum line on the back of the bov, so about 3 to four inches before the bov on the same line theres a t for the gauge.

mRclARK1
09-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Test for boost leaks. You can make a tester in about 5 minutes with a trip to home depot.

IIRC there is a write-up on here somewhere.

johngriff
09-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Take off the T and get a direct reading off the manifold. This is the newer NON-Adjustable SSQV. If you are getting 7psi @ the manifold, it doesnt sound like a leak.

unwtdhero
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM
thats what i think, oh yeah but also i think my tranny is also torn up, cause 1,2,r all grind. And i could step on it but it feels like the power isnt going past my tranny.

DJ_Sunrise
09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
What do you mean by "the boost isn't getting to the wheels". If your motor is running and you are boosting, it is getting to the wheels. Whether or not it is making power is the question. Check the ECU for codes. If your foot ever lets off the gas the slightest bit, the BOV will vent air. Tighten up all the hose clamps. You're getting lost in translation here somewhere.. Seems like you don't have the slightest idea of what you are doing (no offense). Keep in mind a 300whp 240 is fast for about a week. Then you get used to the power. What seemed fast before isn't now.. But isn't slower than before. Does the car have the stock SMIC, or a FMIC???? Clue us in on your mods a little. Take some pictures. etc.

-Bart

unwtdhero
09-01-2007, 02:31 PM
yeah, well this is actually my first turbo'd car and i have had it running for about 2 weeks, and like you said it's not making power, but i did what JohnGriff said and it helps but still ( my tach doesnt work, and yes i have a 24x12x3 icevex intercooler) when im high is rpms it seems to slow its self down, Could the stock waste gate be the culprit. And i have drifted it but not this week , i tried earlier and it felt like i was braking and backfired so i dont know. i have the Hks ssqv2 vaccuum line on the back of it capped off. now the vacuum is 10 and the high boost is constantly seven. So it seems to be good but the turbo's not making the power it should.(sorry for the lenghty reply)http://a443.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/77/l_79adbabb2a2501dc94f1d9dabac76be2.jpg
the line that the screw is in goes to the back of the bov.
http://a572.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/l_3872167399db82c68b99a78927512993.jpg
the t im pointing to, the left side of the t goes below the throttle body and the other side goes to the boost gauge.
http://a159.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/90/l_bcdff160825e6498f3d8076ca6663386.jpg
the yellow line is the one on the picture above, where the screw is, is where the bov was hooked up
http://a154.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_0f6127fbea1c0c3eafee7f1f49001c29.jpg
this is just a view in case yall see something not right. And yes the guy that had it before me cut alot of corners, and has turned out look horrible. Also dont be shy with your opinions. thanks ahead of time.

makulit054
09-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I had a similar problem. My gauge showed boost but it felt like it was running N/A. I had some exhaust leaks. There were leaks between the manifold and the turbo, from turbo to the elbow. So, when I got on the throttle most of the power was escaping from the leaks and not really spinning my compressor. The other problem I had was a knock sensor code. It threw my timing off. So, check your timing and ecu for codes.

Flybert
09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Sounds like your timing is retarded.

jspaeth
09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
^^ You said you had a boost leak...if you have a boost leak, it will cause the turbo to spool up slow, or not spool up well.

If you are getting full boost reading off the intake manifold in a reasonable time from flooring it, there are no huge leaks pre-intake manifold, or in the exhaust.

unwtdhero
09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
yeah im sure my timing is a major culprit and im thinkig about taking it out and installing new gaskets and checking out the engine its self and def. getting a turbo rebuild thanks guys.
OOh and the guy that had it before me had wrecked it and its giving me hell.

aNskY
09-02-2007, 06:27 PM
you mentioned you had a new alternator put on... check that connection. if it it loose the car will miss in boost